1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best "MORE" pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TNJ, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Klon?
    RC Booster?
    Catalinbread Picoso?
    Prescription Germ?
    Fulltone Fat Boost?
    ??????????????????

I'm looking for a "MORE" pedal; something to give my crunch tone a bit more (for soloing) without affecting the tone coming from the amp.
    I"m sure this thread has been here before, but I'd like to know what everybody is using these days.

Thanks,
    S.
    j

2. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

For me the RC Booster is the more pedal. Clean or Dirt tones it gives my sound a little "more".

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I am really liking a Bonnie Blue pedal out of Germany. I've had it for close to a year now, so i'm not in a honeymoon period. Perfect for adding a little bit more with a JTM 45 or a Super Reverb. It seems to add highs, but isn't harsh in the least. Adds no noise, and doesn't seem to mess with my tone. Not a high or even mid gain pedal...it's forte is Boosts and low gain.
    I think they're pretty rare.
    I've tried Tim's /Klons/Fulltone Boost and i like this one better.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. Panacea

Panacea Member

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Greer Tonesmuggler...has some TS like qualities but set the gain low and you have "more amp"....fantastic as a boost.

6. Schtomp

Schtomp Member

7. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

8. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Klon.

Accept no substitutes. :)

9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

Sex Drive! I am still waiting on the timmy, so who knows.

10. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

I prefer the Picaso to the Fat Boost.

11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I can think of quite a few, each has different interesting capabilities, costs and features.

Currently on my board doing 'more' are the boost side of the Z-Vex Box of Rock, and a Carl Martin Compressor. The Carl Martin does a hell of a clean boost, and if you dial in the compressing function in a subtle manner, it's super handy. The only down side is a bit of noise. The BOR boost side is real great and can be used to just boost, but also can be used to drive more as well. It's great! They are both great! So is the Tim pedal which can be easily dialed in to do "more" but that one is hard to avoid using in more agressive ways you know.

A guest at my place right now is a BJF Sea Blue EQ. This is a fine pedal which gives "more" and allows you to tip the frequency response around as well. If the circumstances were different with the economy, I'd be keeping the Sea Blue, and probably buying a BJF Pine Green Compressor too. That pedal not only does "more" it somehow also manages to throw in "BETTER" as well. The newer Mad Professor Compressor is also super great, but I have not actually tried that one in my amp.

Clean boosts are all over the place, I have friends who swear by the RC booster too, and it sounds great. Keeley comps and the Janglebox have their advocates, and I've heard them sound great in other folks set-ups. Most compressors will function as clean boosts, and the dual functionality may be practical.

So enjoy the process Steve, and have fun selecting one! It'll be fun. I know you'll let us know how it goes,, cool!

Mark R.

12. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I have the Catalinbread Serrano Picoso and I am very happy with it. It is a great clean boost that I run after my distortion pedals to get me that extra bit of bite for soloing. The nice thing is that it doesn't add any distortion of it's own, but it will push those tubes harder so I do get to preserve my tone. Not to mention that you won't have any trouble fitting it on your board. It is tiny.

13. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

KOT can do that plus A LOT MORE.

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

older Lovepedal COT50 Lil China with the Bias knob set at 7:00-fully counter clockwise-truly a magical MORE boost for my other pedals.

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Pete Cage's "More" pedal.
    Aptly named!
    You can contact Pete @ info@audiocage.com

Keeley's Katana (knob pushed in) is another awesome option.

16. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

Lovepedal Loudmouth is my fave for the "MORE" application.

17. JZG

JZG Member

The two pedals I've been using for what you're describing are the Durham Sex Drive and the Way Huge Pork Loin. The Durham works great for clean to slight amounts of hair, and it can also add some subtle compression as well. It has what I call a high end sheen to it. I don't mean shrill or brittle, but very smooth and clear. I refer to it as my clarity pedal.

I've been using the Pork Loin a lot lately as well for boosted leads and mild overdrive tone. I was quite surprised by this pedal. Very warm tone that seems to stay fairly neutral. I've been running it mostly clean, but I really like the overdriven tone from it as well. Works nicely for fattening up single coils.

18. dosmun

dosmun Member

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys...
    And, Mark...I'll definitely let you all know what I end up with and why.
    Small footprint is always a good thing.
    I really dont use any OD pedals with my rock rig...so I just need a bit of a volume boost to go from crunch rhythm to full on solo mode. I've thought about compressors, and actually have a Maxon CP101 that I'll try. It might work, as it has only a touch of "squash" to it.
    So far, the Catalinbread and the Cusack pedals look cool.
    Not sure about the Timmy...is it exclusively a boost, or an OD pedal?

Keep 'em coming!

S.
    j

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi, don't know how experienced you are with volume boosts going in to any type of 'gain 'channel , but they don't give much of a volume boost at all ... They all claim 12db-30db,etc of boost, but when you put the boost into Gain, you just get more gain and no volume boost. I have no idea how gainy your crunch channel is , but , if it is very gainy , try before you buy or you'll be disappointed if you're looking for a db boost. All of these type pedals give huge boosts though into clean or cleanish channels.. That's where their specs come in to play.. Once again I don't know your definition of crunch or gain ,but with mine, the only way to get a solo volume boost is to put this type of pedal in a POST-preamp situation , which means a series fx loop. If you're looking for MORE GAIN and only like a 1db boost though , in front works just fine.

Good luck, Eric