Best, most cost effective way to go about heating a pool

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BMF Effects, Mar 26, 2015.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Those of you that heat your pool, which method did you use and how has it worked out? Lately I've been getting flyers from companies that use a couple of solar panels by running lines to and from the existing pump which send water through the panels and then return it to the pool, anyone using this type of system? Thanks!

2. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

If you have lots of sunny days, solar beats buying electricity. It might take a while to recoup the cost of adding the solar system. Depends on how much electricity costs you, how mcu you need to heat the pool etc.

You would have to do energy calculations to compare the cost of a solar system vs a traditonalal heat pump, electric or gas etc.

Some solar pool heater systems are kind of ugly on your roof (big black blanket look), pipes running down our wall etc. Not pretty or elegant.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

those plastic 20' long solar panels are crap. they clog, split leak, crack.

either use a real heater or add a solar cover. just be sure not to leave it on too many days or you may get pea soup

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

solar cover ads 10 degrees

5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Relieving yourself in a friends pool can bump up the temp a notch.

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Where you are (SoCal), we have lots of sunny days (like today where it's frigging 91 right now) a solar cover is cheapest and also helps keeps the pool clean. My mom had one at her last house and it was warm enough to swim in all year around. Win/win...

7. Chadley

Chadley Member

I had mine replastered from pure white to a darker finish (French grey) and that made a major difference. About 5 degrees worth. It also looks way better.

8. Madsen

Madsen Member

as a former pool man, there are many variables. how much sun does your pool & roof get? how many trees are in the way? what's the weather like in your neighborhood? are you willing to run the heater at the start of the swimming season & use covers & solar as supplemental.

solar covers tend to heat the first couple feet & then it's colder below if thats all you're using. my old boss would say "tossing bunch of teenagers in there is the quickest way to mix it up".

some DIY types run black PVC on the roof that is more effective than the lower end retail options if you're good with plumbing.

the most consistently warm pools are indoors.
    :drown

9. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

:drown

10. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

11. hellbender

hellbender Member

I have the solar matting in use for almost 12 years now. I am on my second set. The first set only lasted about 2-3 years. I attribute this to leaving the mat out all year in freezing temps. The second set I bought, I roll up and bring inside at the end the season. This set 6 years old and I just now flipped it over and am using the virgin side. At this rate I expect another 3-4 years or more.

I am roughly at the same lattitude, so I think my comparison is comparable.

I plumbed the two 2 x 20 ft mats in parallel and not series, as one would expect. This is important because the greatest heat transfers occur when the most water is exchanged, not the highest temp. Typically, the difference between in and out is only two degrees F. Putting black pipe on the roof will work but looks cobby and really reduces flow with 12+ ft of head. People do it though.

I can maintain 80-84 deg F throughout the swim season and have had it as high as 95 on the very hottest weeks with an offshore wind.

I plumbed it with 1 1/2" Sched 40 NSF 61 PVC pipe with closed cell insulation everywhere I could apply it. The pump is 1 1/2 hp which is overkill for the this pool. I re pumped recently and got a 120/240v model and wired it for high voltage. I then fed it with 120V, so it runs at half speed which is plenty of volume and half the current, so that saves on energy bills. you run the pump more to capture more free heat

Overall I am very happy with the set up and recommend it. The mats are relatively cheap. Heating with gas is another world of cost. Your call.

Lastly, a cover is absolutely necessary to preserve heat gains and prevent evaporation. 300 gal/year is typical for me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  12. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Keep it covered on windy days too. Evaporative heat loss is brutal.

13. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

You could build it over a geothermal vent.

14. socalscott

socalscott Member

15. dclxvi

dclxvi Member

beat me to it

16. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I thought if one could afford a pool they didn't need to worry about how much it would cost to heat it :dunno

17. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

And all boutique builders drive vintage cars and have dump trucks filled with money backing up to their doorstep daily. :roll

18. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Move next door to it?