Best/most useful pedals for rhythm guitarist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I play hard rock, alternative, blues, some metal and I was just wondering what would be the neccessary pedals to use. Right now I use an OCD, Boss DD-5 primarily for rhythm. I also have a B52 AT100 tube head. I have seen most of the pedal board pics on here and I don't need alot of pedals. I am just curious to what the neccesary one's may be. I use the distortion from my amp with my footswitch but was thinking of getting a good distortion pedal too. So would it be better to use a pedal or the amp for distortion.

2. chuenx

chuenx Member

same question here...

3. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

I am mostly a rhythm player.

My most important/useful pedals are my AM KOT V.4 and my D*A*M Red Rooster.

4. cjs42079

cjs42079 Member

Amp distortion really depend on what type of amp your using. I've never tried or heard a B-52, but looks like it has a dirty channel. How is it? If you've got a Marshall or something similar with tubes, chances are you can dial in a great crunch sound. I'm not sure if it's heavy like that. Maybe you could try a RAT or RAT-like type pedal.

I play similar kind of music and have crafted my tone a lot lately to try and cover all the ground from clean to dirty to nasty. I'm running through a 100w Marshall and I don't really use anything to extraordinary. I do use my amp distortion sometimes, but then I also have a RAT and a Big Muff on my board, for different flavors. Here's my signal chain (obviously yours doesn't need to be this big if you don't want):

Whammy IV
    Hardwire Tube Overdrive (TB)
    BYOC Green Russian Muff (TB)
    TB Loop 1: MXR Dyna Comp
    TB Loop 2: Vintage Rat Reissue stacked with a Boss GE-7
    TB Loop 3: Boost (another Boss GE-7)
    TB Loop 4: MXR Phase 100 and a Hardwire Chorus
    TB Loop 5: Boss DD-3 Delay
    Boss Tuner (doubles as a mute)
    BBE Sonic Stomp (always on)

5. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

A compressor pedal would be handy for a rhythm guitarist, as well as an EQ if you have another guitarist, so you can differentiate yourself in the mix from him
    For the compressor the Analogman Bicomp is superb, and the Boss GE-7 with the Sniper mod is an excellent choice for EQ

6. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Thanks, I actually have a Rat 2 that I was using but I am having problems when I step on the switch. It seems to be cutting out and not kicking on properly. How is the Big Muff working for ya? I wanted to get one for fuzz/distorion but wasn't sure if it was worth the money or not.

The B52 is a great amp, killer tube tones as well. I would love to have a marshall but they are too expensive for me right now. I do have switch problems on the B52 because my wife pushed it off of the cab and damaged it. Fortunately the tubes didn't break, but the distortion switch does not kick on either, I have to use the channel switch.

So the Rat 2 would be a good addition to put back on the board then?

7. improviduto

improviduto Member

For overdrive on rhythm, here's my scenario: I'm in a three-piece indie rock band + singer, and I'm the lone guitarist. I rely on a stock Blues Driver for many of my cleaner rhythm parts. I keep the gain low and it does the job just fine. I find it nicely responsive to changes is pick attack. When the tune calls for distortion, I use a modded DS-1. The mod allows me to switch between a germanium diode and an LED. I normally leave it on the germanium since it's fuzzier; however, the LED gives me the option for a real nice, crunchy overdrive if I want it.

My current setup:

TU-2>DD-20>modded DS-1>BD-2

(for those wondering, I've found putting this before the DS-1 gives a better sound. Otherwise, my distortion sounds brittle and digital.)

8. cjs42079

cjs42079 Member

Yup, I agree with improviduto's way of thinking

I do something similar, I use my Hardwire Overdrive set with gain low for just a little breakup. For distortion, I use either my RAT or my Big Muff. To add a little extra, I stack the OD into the distortion and it really sounds great. Add a solo boost and you've literally got 6 or 7 dirt options now. Stacking really is a wonderful thing.

Funny thing is, I had the exact same problem with the footswitch on my RAT, and it annoyed the hell out of me. So much so that it was off my board for about 3 years. Then I finally had a good idea. What I did was take the switch apart, and lightly brushed up all the parts with WD-40 and a toothbrush. Screwed it back together and it's been working flawlessly for about 5 months now. Wish I would've tried that sooner. Maybe it'll help you.

And to answer your other question about the big muff...I freakin' love it. I have a green russian clone, and I couldn't be happier. The tone is killer, it's got a small footprint, dc powered, green LED, true bypass, it's painted sparkly green, and I scored it for about $75 bucks from another awesome member here in the emporium.

9. cjs42079

cjs42079 Member

oh and dude, i just saw you're from Philly. Same here! You play out around here?

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Treble booster - lets you get some tight R&B sounds and really cleans up the neck pickup. Helps cut through a mix without going way trebly or loud.

11. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I used to, I am in the process of putting my band back together. Looking for lead/rhythm guitar and drummer. Where are you located?

12. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I built our rhythm guitarist a box recently:

(guitar)TS-9 clone>Clean Boost>Volume Cut switch with footadjustable knob (amp)

He doesn't use his volume knobs very well so I just made him this one. The cool thing about it is that you can boost the treble and cut the volume for unity gain making his humbuckers sound much more like single coils as well. I never would have thought about it if he didn't have problems with controlling his volume.

13. jrm

jrm Member

Mine are:
    1. Tuner
    2. Fulldrive II
    3. Vox Wah
    4. DD20

14. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

^ nice. I also have a Dunlop Dime wah that I use too for some things. I think i am gonna keep the Wah, delay, OCD, tuner and add a small stone or a distortion pedal.

15. cameron

cameron Member

With the OCD, you've already got a great pedal for overdriven-amp style rhythm sounds. I'd also want at least one fuzz. A Big Muff style pedal for real wall-of-noise stuff (Skreddy Mayo, Frantone Sweet, J.Everman UltraDrive are all good options) and a fuzz-face style pedal for a softer fuzz sound (hundreds of good options around).

Fuzz is not just for leads . . .

16. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

17. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Sounds good, how bout the Big Muff itself? I can't really add any boutique pedals right now. Would the BM be a good addition.

18. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

I use a Timmy and a BiComp and that's all I need.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

You might want to look at the Tech 21 Character pedals - to be able to step on a pedal and add AC30 sparkle (or whatever you like) makes this pretty darned versatile. I use a V-stack tweedy the same way and just ordered the Tech 21 Liverpool. Cool additional benefit - if your amp craps out you have a backup to run direct.

Aside from that, compression can help if it doesn't add too much coloration, delay and in some settings trem can add a lot too.

20. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member