best multi fx which fits my needs

Maxprs

Hi all, and Happy New Year !!!
This is my first post here...
I've moved from an all digital guitar sound, using old racks and power amp (or straigth to mixer) to a head and a cabinet because I want to change my sound totally.
I'm quite happy about my new amp, but of course what I need now is a multi fx to complete my rig, so here I am with my request for a suggestion from who has experienced different kinds for different needs.
Is the battle between TC Electronics, Roctron and Lexicon? :boxer
I can divide my requirements into three categories:
PRIORITIES:
- consider that I'll run the multi fx in the s/r loop of my head, that can be serial or parallel, but I think I'll prefer serial because I want to control the volume with a pedal right before the multi fx. Or, better, instead of a pedal I'd prefer to assign the input level of the multi fx to an expression pedal of my pedal board. So it must allows CC midi assignement to almost all the parameters.
- fx quality must be very good. I can tell you that I mainly use chorus, delays and reverbs for cleans, adding compressor/sustainer for leads. Btw, how does a compressor sound in a serial loop? I've always thought of a compressor as something that you must put in front of the amp.
As for the fact that there are more or less transparent units, this can be a non problem if the overall tone is good... I mean, since I'll run it in a serial loop I must accept a tone variation, but of course it must change the gone in a good way !!
- Reliability of course is a priority... I've never heard of someone happy to see his unit stopping while he's playing live !!!

IT WOULD BE NICE:
- to have a pitch shifter, better if intelligent (harmonizer), or at least where you can assign the interval to a CC pedal so you can turn it to major/minor. Anyway if it costs having less quality for chorus, delays and reverbs I say.... forget the pitch shifter !!!
- to have a PC software editor to edit the patches. I hate to use those small displays to change one parameter after the other !!! I'm a software developer, and I've developed myself patch editors for my racks (Roland GP16, Gp100, Korg A2) but it takes always time mainly because it's often hard to have all the documentation.
So it would be nice to have one ready to use.
- to have a not too expensive unit :aok

NO MATTER:
- relays for switching amp channels: the head that I'm using allows program change midi messages, and I guess all multi fx allows program changes...
- any pre features, like drive or preamp simulator :barf

What am I forgetting? Someone will remind it to me later...

To sum up I'd prefer to have an all in one unit, but if this doesn't exist (for my requirements) I don't know if is an option to link together more than one multi fx, so you have one for chorus and delays, one for reverbs, ....

Looking forward to hearing from you guys :wave

theGhost

Why couldn't you just use your rack fx in the loop?

I've never heard the TC G-System, but tons of folks say it's real nice. It should be for the price tag.

Also, it sounds like a few pretty good pedals would get you where you want.

I'm a little confused as to why you've made this huge change anyways. If in fact you wanna relieve yourself of all digital stuff, then just buy analog floor pedals.

I use the m13. I know that individual pedals might do some sounds better, but I have been very happy. I use it in front of the amp, but many guys like the 4 cable method. It will allow you to assign where you play each effect in the 4 cable (eg. overdrive upfront, echo in the loop, reverb after, etc).

Maxprs

Why couldn't you just use your rack fx in the loop?
Which rack? Mine? I just want a rack with no pre options and better fx, that's why I'm looking for a new rack

I've never heard the TC G-System, but tons of folks say it's real nice. It should be for the price tag.
It's more expensive than what I supposed to spend for the unit... let's say I'm in a range of a G Major...
Other than this, the G-System is surely ok (anyway I've been told about firmware problems) but is more that what I need: as I said, I need good chorus, delays and reverbs (and possibly a picth) while the G-System has also effect that you can put before the amp.

Also, it sounds like a few pretty good pedals would get you where you want.
I agree about the pedals quality, but one of my priority is to be able to control all the parameters via Control Change messages; also, I'd like to be able to change a patch so that the effect chain is already programmed... I don't want to feel like a tap dancer, I'm nearly 43 :facepalm

I'm a little confused as to why you've made this huge change anyways. If in fact you wanna relieve yourself of all digital stuff, then just buy analog floor pedals.
I needed to to this change because my sound was too digital. Now with a real valve amp I've found the right sound, and what I need now is only a multi fx to colour the sound, not to create it.

I use the m13. I know that individual pedals might do some sounds better, but I have been very happy. I use it in front of the amp, but many guys like the 4 cable method. It will allow you to assign where you play each effect in the 4 cable (eg. overdrive upfront, echo in the loop, reverb after, etc).
M13 from Line 6... Never heard before... I'd feel better to use a more specialized unit (reverbs, delays...) rather than a unit with many effects, and only in the loop, no 4 cable method.

theGhost

ok... given your situation, if your heart is set on a multi-fx pedal it seems like the m9 or m13 would work best for you. granted, I've never played one so I'm not recommending from first-hand experience, but I definitely plan on buying an m9 at some point from what people have said about them.

Maxprs

Second vote for a Line 6 product... I didn't expect this....
Got to check it out !!!

theGhost

I hear your reservations about the m13 and Line 6.......... the board seems to good to be true. However, I am shocked at what I read about that unit on this website.......... people do claim it to be a wonderful unit. i wouldn't write it off so fast

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/608359&highlight=line+6
it's not just this website either... it's a lot of forums. more so over at harmony central than here I think.

granted, it probably couldn't replace everything in terms of sound quality, but apparently it does enough real nicely that it's worth the money. hell, I want the m9 simply for the looper and the convenience of having 3 solid effects all in one package.

Maxprs

I hear your reservations about the m13 and Line 6.......... the board seems to good to be true. However, I am shocked at what I read about that unit on this website.......... people do claim it to be a wonderful unit. i wouldn't write it off so fast

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/608359&highlight=line+6
No reservetions at all about Line 6, guys...
I'm only surprised because I expected to hear suggestions about the units that so far I read people mainly use for those purposes, which are G Major, Rocktron Xpression and some Lexicon models.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
Since you're new, be sure to check out the Digital and Modeling Gear forum. Most of the M9, M13 and Nova threads are there.

John

Maxprs

Surely I will...
Anyway, I've got a FC200 midi pedal board with three expression pedals... but since M9 is a pedal board as well should I throw everything away?
Any solution for a rack unit?
I would be glad to know from people who have tested the fx quality of M13/M9 in comparison with rack units like G Major, Intellifex/Xpression, others...
Let's talk about the fx, like chorus delay and reverbs, not overdrive, booster, that I don't want to use.

Last edited:

Trending Topics