Best music store in Jacksonville, FL?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sameoldblues, Dec 22, 2009.

1. sameoldblues

sameoldblues Supporting Member

Hey, all,

Going to Jacksonville to visit a friend today and I'm gonna have to kill a little time. What's the best music store in the area? I'm not talking about Guitar Center or any other retail chain...somewhere with nice/funky used gear or a place with some nice boutique amps, maybe?

Thanks so much.

2. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Don's Music was the greatest vintage shop of all time. You could walk in there and at any time you'd find vintage fenders, gibsons, gretsches, etc at local Jacksonville prices. I bought several guitars and amps there over the years, that I would have never been able to afford anywhere else. Unfortunately, Don decided to retire this year and his inventory has been dwindling. I think he's still open a few days of the week, so it may still be worth a shot paying him a visit. Down the street from Don's is Discount Music, which doesn't have a whole lot of vintage gear, but if you go during the day you might see local guitar tech Buddy Scott and strike a conversation with him. Buddy works there and is an awesome resource who may be able to direct you places. I think Chip's Music also carries some vintage pieces. Other than that, there's sadly not a whole lot more in the area. If you really want boutique, you'd have to drive to Tallahassee to Andy's Music.

3. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Yeah, to bad. When I was stationed there in the 80's and 90's they had a bunch of great stores that have sadly gone away. Buddy works for Discount on Blanding? He has been with Don for years, they must have had a falling out or something or he would probably take over the place I would think!

4. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, man. Buddy left Don's when Don announced his retirement. Buddy has built a nice workshop at Discount and does phenomenal work there. I really miss Don's, though. There's a lot of vintage gear lying around Jax attics from the glory days of southern rock, and a lot of it would find its way to Don's. But the last time I was there several months ago, the walls were at least 60% empty.