Best MXR sized tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gdog, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Gdog

Gdog Member

I am down sizing to small pedals to save space. Can any one suggest a good mxr sized tremolo that's good and doesn't suck tone?

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Everyone I know seems to love the Demeter Tremulator

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

the BJFE Saffron Trem is excellent, but discontinued... I think Toyz might have one left..... its actually MXR sized too...

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'm giving the Kaden Fluttertone a shot... I've had a Demeter Tremulator for a long time, so I can A/B them this weekend. I promise I'll try to remember to respond to this thread!

-Ben

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

6. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Dang it, now I have to try the Kaden :)

I was going to try the Kaden until I picked up a Jauernig Luxury trem and thought I was finally through. I actually like the Demeter better than the Luxury, but I'm torn between the 2 speeds of the Luxury and the slightly better trem of the Demeter; so lately I've been using the Luxury.

Other MXR size options that sound great:

Diaz with a bypass box
    Vintage Sounds BFD with a bypass mod
    Demeter (already mentioned, but if I wanted a single speed small footprint trem this is definitely what I'd pick)

Always searching ...

7. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I was always fond of the Tremodillo, in spite of reliability problems.

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

another vote for tremodillo. i love mine. it's the most amp like tremolo i've ever heard from a pedal.

9. Improviser

Improviser Member

I have a Swamp Thang tremolo which I absolutely love.

This pedal displaced a Fulltone Supatrem (soul-less, though has more 'bells and whistles') on my board.

In the last week I've borrowed a mate's Demeter tremolo in the hope of getting the same sound but in a smaller package. While the Demeter sounds pretty good (like a Blackface Fender trem - I already have that sound in my amps, and don't use it) the Swamp Thang is so much more organic-sounding and more like the Fender brown/tweed amp trem sounds.

Geoff

10. morgan

morgan Guest

It's amazing how much variability there is in trems, and how a consensus never really develops around one specific pedal.

On the kaden, you can't adjust the waveform, right? I have the luxury trem too, and it sounds fantastic clean, but it doesn't love overdrive in front of it. Sounds good, but not as a good as it does clean. The headroom just doesn't seem to be there and it seems to grit up the sound a bit, it makes my honey bee sound kinda ragged around the edges, which I thought was an impossibility. And the locked waveform is a bit limiting, but it's a nice trem overall, especially if you want 2 channels on the cheap (relatively).

I've given in and decided to order up a toneczar powerglide. That 18v should take care of me and give a ton of options to boot.

11. morgan

morgan Guest

And for the mxr sized crowd, the sherlock tremit gets great reviews, but I'm not sure it's TB.

12. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

+1

I have one and it's a great small trem with sine and square waves. The bypass is buffered intentionally by Dale Sherlock so as to provide a signal boost near the end of your chain without loss of frequencies...He told me it's designed to act a lot like the VHT Valvulator.

I can't hear any loss with this pedal in bypass and I could notice significant loss of highs etc with a TU-2 I used to have.;)

Check it out at http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=tremit

13. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Suhr jack rabbit is highly regarded a well, also happens to be tap tempo capable if that's your thing.