Best neck pickup to brighten up an ES-335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Thundrstruckk

Thundrstruckk Member

If you choose to take out the '57 Classic, you can sell it to me :)

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a burstbucker 1 might have a bit more edge than the otherwise similar 57 classic due to the unbalanced coils.

big +1 on the pots; if they're stock, then they're 300k linear, which dull the tone even on "10". get somebody good to put 500k audio taper volume pots in both positions and you'll have a clearer-sounding guitar.

the tones are already 500k, you don't need to change them.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Unfortunately, even changing 1 pot or cap on an ES 335 means you have to pull all of the pots out and pull them all back with strings, no? Even looking at the back means using a dental mirror. I guess changing pups is easy if you don't mind soldering a splice. Otherwise, same issue. Is there an easier way?

4. walterw

sometimes you can worry a pot out through an f-hole, but usually no.

for the life of me i don't understand why gibson never put backplates on the 335! that would have to have been quicker on the production line (and thus more cost effective) than threading the harness through the pickup hole.

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

would i just be able to compensate with a different amp? the clips i used a microcube to record which doesnt really have treble mid bass

it just has bass boost in one direction and treble in another.... i boosted the treble all the way already

also i have no clue how to flip over a pot to look at the backside... all i know is my gibson es-335 is a 2010 sunburst model
    and his is from 2008
    so what pots should they be?

also i know im broke now but in the future it seems like the best way to compensate is either get a new neck pickup or pots.... which one would make the bigger difference?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. walterw

the EQ on an amp is not the same as the controls on the guitar.

all stock production es-335s have had 300k volumes since at least the '80s, so both yours and your friend's do, too.

2 $5 pots are gonna be cheaper than a $100 pickup (what you'll likely spend for one that's at least as good as what you have now). besides, you'll want the pots upgraded for a new pickup anyway, so you might as well do that first. you may find you don't need a new pickup after all.

if you're too broke to swing the pot install now, my advice is to stop worrying about minor details like this and just enjoy your nice guitar. it's too easy to get sucked into gear obsession (like any of us can give advice about that :rolleyes:) when we should be playing the damn thing instead.

7. hacker

hacker Member

The 57 Classics on the modern 335s are great. If you want brighter tone-do the middle pickup selector position with the volume of the neck rolled slightly off, and maybe the tone of the bridge pup slightly rolled off as well.

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Good advice Walter, but the kid just ain't listening

9. Julia343

Julia343 Member

2010 model? Play it. Play it a lot. It needs to be broken in. The more you play it the better it will sound. This is a semi-hollowbody, not a solid body. The wood does make more of a difference here. Solid body not as much, but a bad piece of wood will sound bad.

Take an acoustic guitar as an example. If someone who can play well plays it a lot it will sound better after a year or two than if it sat there or was played by someone with limited skills.

Just enjoy your instrument and play it. Don't worry about the tone so much. In two years if you don't like it sell it. The minute you mod it you lose resale value. If you do mod it keep all original parts.

You can also use an eq pedal to make it sound brighter.

Also if you just bought it and don't like it return it to the store in exchange for something you do like.

10. still.ill

still.ill Member

its infuriating when you just want to have a better tone thats important (and you know its possible!) and people are actually criticizing you for being picky about a HUGE tonal difference

also i feel that playing even though you KNOW 100% for sure you could be getting a better tone would stifle your playing
    see the thing is i actually liked the neck tone from the $600 dollar schecter better than my gibson es-335... isn't that a *****
    the funny thing is im pretty sure the schecter c-1 actually came with a 500 k volume pot
    so i think i'm going to try getting a tech to replace the neck 300k pot with a 500k pot and if that doesnt work ill give up.

its laminated plywood... i dont thikn es-335's need to be "broken in" like solid top acoustics

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  11. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I'd say if you just bought it and don't like return it and get something you like better. It's not like they don't make a lot of ES335s.

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Whoa! That's new one me. :rotflmao

13. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

:console

someone needs a nap

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

All good points. Spend the money and get the mods done. If it doesn't sound right, sell the guitar. Maybe a Schecter is really your sound?

15. NoahL

NoahL Member

I thought the OP was saying that his guitar sounds less bright *unplugged*," Right? And so it's also, logically, less bright when plugged in. So why don't we first ask why it's less bright unplugged. I'm sure that no two 355s sound alike unplugged, but maybe there are tweak-able differences, like strings (does your buddy use bright ones and you've got mellower, older, different gauge, more nickle strings?) or action or tailpiece height.

335's come with 300k volume pots, right? Which lots of people don't like? And who knows, it might actually measure at 265 or 275 -- almost single-coil territory. I'd take it to a good luthier and ask him about all this stuff. In less than an hour, he can:

Yank out the volume pot and de-solder the tone circuit from it so you can hear it wide open, like the other poster says. If you like the results, then a lower-value capacitor (put in a good one while you're at it) or a treble-bleed cap will help retain some highs. If this doesn't help enough, then a higher volume pot might work. Have him measure the current one as soon as it's dangling from the guitar to see how it actually compares to the stamped value. Might be interesting. He could then toss in a good-quality higher-value pot (and a new cap if you and he believe in that stuff -- I do), and you'll be on your way. $100 or less for parts and labor -- and well worth every penny if it allows you to enjoy the amazing neck setting on an amazing guitar.

Does this all sound like good advice, guys?

16. still.ill

still.ill Member

i like the distorted bridge sound of my es-335 more though
    the unplugged sound is slightly different , but the differnece is super pronounced when plugged in (im pretty sure his pots are higher value)

( i've got brand new d'addarios on both)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'm not picking a fight but - who gives a rip what the unplugged tone is?

18. still.ill

still.ill Member

19. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

I don't want to sound rude, but the quality of the recordings leaves a lot to be desired.

This whole drama is about yours vs. his. As you've said you have no money to spend on any mods. You should embrace the tonal differences of your guitar and utilize them to their advantages.

20. still.ill

still.ill Member

i think the quality is pretty decent for a zoom h2 through garageband with a roland microcube in a college dorm room
    (listen through headphones)
    i just want to get my neck pickup to sound more like his....theres no real drama

i took my guitar to a tech who was surprised new gibson es-335's actually come with 300k pots...
    i have enough money for some new pots... ill have to scrape a lot for a pickup though