• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best new Fuzz for mid sixties stuff?

Messages
4,604
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. The other current fuzz threads didn't seem appropriate for this exact question.

Who is making a fuzz pedal nowadays that captures that "highs in the mid sixties/Electric Prunes/I Can't get no Satisfaction" grind that also works well with a RMC Picture Wah?

Thanks
 

Rollo Timbre

Member
Messages
375
First one to come to mind is the D*A*M 1966 fuzz. It's a great fuzz for capturing some of those old tones, including the fuzz bass on the Beatles "Think For Yourself".:AOK
 

cubba65

Member
Messages
547
Originally posted by Rollo Timbre
First one to come to mind is the D*A*M 1966 fuzz. It's a great fuzz for capturing some of those old tones, including the fuzz bass on the Beatles "Think For Yourself".:AOK
DITTO!
 

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,673
The D*A*M pedals are awesome. I own the MKII and it's so dead on, it's almost disgusting. The Euthymia GE Crucible is also great at getting 60's Garage tones on steroids.
 

mojoslide

Member
Messages
1,118
I'd suggest the Analogman Sun Face as it does that mid sixties germanium fuzz sound perfectly. With the Sundial you also get some extra options too - so it sounds like a sixties fuzz but better. Also look into the Maestro Fuzz pedal (or whatever it is) I haven't used it but supposedly it gets that Stones fuzz sound. Also with the Analogman Sun Face using the Sundial you can tune in that splatting fuzz sound too.
 

pacomc79

Member
Messages
1,516
Originally posted by mojoslide
I'd suggest the Analogman Sun Face as it does that mid sixties germanium fuzz sound perfectly. With the Sundial you also get some extra options too - so it sounds like a sixties fuzz but better. Also look into the Maestro Fuzz pedal (or whatever it is) I haven't used it but supposedly it gets that Stones fuzz sound. Also with the Analogman Sun Face using the Sundial you can tune in that splatting fuzz sound too.
+1 Analogman also sells a new version called the Sun Lion with a boost on one side that sounds amazing.
 

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,726
I'd agree with the D*A*M 1966 recommendations 110%. Its the perfect fuzz for copping many of the raspy fuzz tones from that era with a distinctly British kind of vibe. Mine has Mullard OC76s and it has a great "rip" to it that just oozes psychedelia.
When I think of the Electric Prunes or "Satisfaction", though, I tend to think of a sound a little closer to the old Maestro Fuzzes of old which are a bit more raspy and buzzy than my DAM 66 if memory serves correctly. Dunno who makes a pedal like that...Used to be a fella who hung around the Music Toyz forum called SouthPhoenixDave who made a Mosrite clone and some other similar types. Maybe drop him a line.
 
S

Surfinreverb

Check out the Fuzzbrite by Ashbass.....listed under Mosrite on E-bay. It's an excellent $95 clone of the original Mosrites that are selling for $3-400. I have one and the sound is great!
 

Bob Sweet

Member
Messages
902
e-flat said:
.Used to be a fella who hung around the Music Toyz forum called SouthPhoenixDave who made a Mosrite clone and some other similar types. Maybe drop him a line.
I have that fuzz right here in front of me. It's called the Cart-Rite. It is as good as any Mosrite I have tried. Great for those Davie Allan biker songs, dead on for Ina-godda-da-vida and many Ventures songs that used the Mosrite Fuzzrite. I don't know if he made any other than this one. But he's still over there from time to time (MusicToyz board). You might want to talk to him before going else where. There is a guy (already mentioned) on eBay that makes a clone of the Mosrite and it sounds good, but not as authentic as the Cart-Rite. But that could be due to the fact that the eBay guy uses a CD player plugged into the fuzz with guitar playing on it. Which by it's very nature would send too hot a signal to get a good idea what it would sound like with a guitar plugged directly into it. But from what I can tell, it sounds like it would like the Mosrite and the price is very good.
 

Bob Sweet

Member
Messages
902
Moe45673 said:
Would all these fuzzes be good to do "spirit in the sky"?
I would think the Mosrite style fuzz would get you in the ballpark.
A fuzzface won't do it, nor would a tonebender clone.
 




Trending Topics

Top