Best new production 6L6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gearopenia, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Winged C?
    It's for fender style amp made by Carr.

2. modernp

modernp Member

I really like the sed's.

3. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I had a pair of high stationary current Winged C's (something like 27's in a fixed bias mesa amp), and they had a harshness in the highs that really messed with my tone. I've heard samples posted elsewhere, where I could pick out that harshness from three different brand shootout.

I did read elsewhere this is a bit of their character if they were biased too hot.

I've concluded I'm more of a el34 guy.

4. bobwl

bobwl Member

I think that's a difficult question. Most new production tubes are good quality and it mainly deals with what kind of tone your after. Personally I think it's hard to go wrong with JJs. Tung-Sols are supposed to be really good as well.

5. schmoog

schmoog Member

I've had great experience with the TAD 6L6GC-STR and the TAD 6L6WGC-STR...

I know they're rebrands of somebody elses tube, but I'm not sure whose tube they are, and one way or the other, they sound great! To my ears, they are very faithful to the old Sylvania and RCA tubes they're based off of.

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    JJs work great for me.
    Recently had a pair of big bottle Chinese crap out - so I'm back to JJs.
    (from Lord Valve or Eurotubes)

7. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

I really like the tung-sol 6l6gc. Really nice brightness and clarity, but still smooth with a lot of room for bass. (This is in a Tweaker).

8. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

9. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    I enjoy the TADs though I haven't experimented with other brands in my current amp (AA864/AB165 hybrid Bassman). I understand they are screened and re-branded, but what exactly are they. Are they pulled from a single brand or from multiple depending on the tube type?

I haven't tried JJ 6L6s but in EL84s and ECC83s/803s/82s, they have always fallen to the middle of the pack, for me. In fact I think it is fair to characterize them broadly from my experience and preferences as being generally dark, less detailed and less dynamic. This has worked to my advantage when replacing the 12AX7 with a JJ in a bright amp.

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've used the JJ 6L6's, and thought they were just OK. Not as good as Svetlana's or Tung Sol's, made by Sovtek. The only problem with the Sovtek made tubes, is that they they change which factory and bench that produces them, each time that they make a batch. So, you aren't 100% sure, what tube tube will be like, until you get it.

11. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

i like winged Cs, TADs and JJs in that order.