Best Nickelwound Bass Strings?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Stratburst70, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

My friends and I went with Snake Oil Brand bass strings for the longest time because we liked the way they sounded on our basses right off the bat - no dealing with clangy sounds from new strings.

However, their supply is non-existent right now (an unfortunately regular occurrence) so I'm on the lookout for another source. I've looked at Curt Mangan (heard good things about him); anywhere else I should look for strings?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I tend to go with strings that sound well on each particular bass, and that are readily available - I use either GHS Boomers, Ernie Ball Slinkies, or D'addario EXLs, mostly in medium... Nothing fancy, I know - but it works for me...

I've also had excellent experiences ordering from http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

- georgestrings

3. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I have been going through the same thing. I really like Snake Oil strings and had hoped that having a distributor (Sfarzo) would end the lack of reliable availability. No such luck. Depending on the bass, I use either Curt Mangan Nickel Wounds or D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds. The Mangans are brighter so I use them on basses where articulation is more important and I use the D'Addarios on the basses I use for more traditional sounds. Still prefer the Snake Oils but wasn't going to wait any longer.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Yeah, I do something similar - the EXLs when I want a warmer, more vintage tone, Slinkys when I want some brightness, and Boomers when I want brightness and punch... I've never cared for stainless rouunds - nickels for me, please...

- georgestrings