Best Noiseless pickup for a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tambokgt, Oct 4, 2008.

1. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

Which one is the best Noiseless pickup for the strat?

I have the SCN .. .came stock with my AmDeluxe....but I need a bit more power. It's kindda weak and lifeless after a while.

2. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

DiMarzio Area 58s - outstanding tone and very quiet. This guitar was converted from Bill Lawrence L200s - cousin of your SCNs. I find the Areas to have more tonal life. They are still fairly low output, however, which is what I happen to prefer.

The Area 58s were almost indistinguishabe from my friend's Rio Grande Tallboys in a nearly identical guitar - good company indeed!

Greg

3. mischultz

mischultz Member

Haven't heard the 58s but love the 61s. I so appreciate the idea of Bill and Becky and the simple genius that's evident in their work, but tonally it's not quite me. That said, I do think the 280/290 are worth investigating: thicker for certain than the 200s.

Michael

4. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Real single coils with a Suhr Backplate... but that's not cheap and it's not 100% silent either. But it does help.

I still think true singles are always the best bet. RWRP helps in 2 of the 5 spots on a Strat. I haven't heard any Noiseless Pickups that sounded completely vintage in my opinion. But that doesn't mean there are not decent tones that can be made with them. I just think our ears have been trained on what a Strat should sound like by classic tones we all grew up hearing. When we don't hear something that's really close to that, our ears tell us something isn't right. I think most people (even non-musicians) can tell what is good tone and what isn't quite right. Great tone vs. Good tone is something that makes a difference. It's something that keeps us up at night sometimes. It's something that costs many people loads of money. But what else is there to spend money on that really matters as much as good tone :D

5. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

What does RWRP stand for?

6. novawind

novawind Member

Reverse-Wound, Reverse Polarity

Basically the result of reversing the winding (and thus the polarity) of the middle pickup and then combining it in series with either the neck or bridge pickup, resulting in effectively humbucker comprised of two single coils. Like someone said above, you get this in positions 2 and 4 on most standard Strats.

As far as pure noiseless pickups go, I was debating between the SCNs and the Hot Noiseless ones to upgrade my American. I'm looking to get Clapton and Gilmour tones.

I think the Suhr backplate is a little out of my price range at this point. :(

7. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

reversed Wound reversed Poles

8. pennylink

pennylink Member

I'm very happy with Kinman pickups that I've used for years. 100% noiseless in all positions, great tone, great service, and an excellent and informative website. I have a Blues set, but there are other flavors, including vintage and aged vintage sets.

9. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

10. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

I'm pretty satisfied with my kinmans...not 100% true strat tone(like all noiseless),but way better dynamic response compared to other noiseless pups I've tried...kinmans are as close as you can get in my opinion(although a bit expensive...)

11. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

From a recent thread discussing it in depth.

and of course the short: Reverse Wound + Reverse Magnet Polarity

i.e. out of phase >>> back in phase

12. noyank11

noyank11 Supporting Member

I also dig the kinmans,my Fender S1 harness has several DEAD silent positions too..