Best noiseless single coil pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bojomojo, May 21, 2019.

1. Kluch

Kluch Member

Yep. 920D has their own site too (below). Maybe it's operated by Sigler? dunno.
    https://920dcustom.com/

very cool strat btw

bojomojo and SRQGuitar like this.
  2. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

I'll 2nd that! Fine looking strat you have there. :cool: Nice wood grain finish on the body. Is that a mahogany neck?

bojomojo and SRQGuitar like this.
  3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Gilmour runs his big muff with the guitar volume full up and active pickups work fine with fuzz like that. Also the BM is NOT a reactive fuzz like the fuzz face - Its an on/off effect. All the cool stuff you can get from changing your guitar volume into a Fuzz face and octavia will not work with EMG's or other active pickups.

Blix, mojah and abby_normal like this.
  4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Most noisless singles (Area, kinman, Wilde, etc) use a small dummy coil stacked below the actual coil - so they are not mini humbuckes like a Duncan little 59 or little JB. Dual blade singles are technically mini HB because the coils are side by side.

The Zexcoils and Fluence are RADICALLY different designs from dummy coils or mini HB. Zexcoil uses 6 small coils (1 per string). 3 coils are wound in one direction and 3 are RWRP. When summed the pickup is noisless. It a brilliant and elegant solution.

The Fluence are equally brilliant in that they don't have a traditional coil at all. They print a single "wind" on a wafer thin PCB and then stack many of these wafers to construct the "coil". This gives them unbelievable consistency and control over the sonic qualities of the pickup. They can make it sound like almost anything including 2 switchable variations on authentic single coil tone.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Gig Young, scolfax, songtalk and 4 others like this.
  5. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I think most noiseless pickups are not RWRP due to the fact that they cancel hum anyway.

Having said that, in my experience, the best 2/4 position tones come from a non-RWRP vintage set of real single coils. The first time I tried them it was a revelation.

6. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Director of the 2019 Like Farming Initiative Gold Supporting Member

Thanks! It a Warmoth neck. Goncolo Alves with a Pau Ferro board. Back when Pau Ferro was an exotic upgrade and not a poor mans rosewood:)

bojomojo likes this.
  7. Mincer

Mincer Member

The middle of a Classic Stack Plus set is rwrp, so if you split both pickups in the 2 & 4 position, you still get hum cancelling.

bojomojo and David Garner like this.
  8. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

Does anyone know why the Vintage Noiseless neck is hotter than the bridge in Fenders pickup line? Seems like a departure from tradition, no?

[​IMG]

9. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

I have an Area 61 that I really like and major props to Dimarzio for not upcharging to do a lefty.

bojomojo likes this.
  10. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Still liking my Kinmans actually. I'm using various versions of the "Traditional" set. I don't know how different those are to the Marvin set. I've been using them in preference to Lace Sensors and EMG SA for maybe 10 years. I'd have to agree the quack in parallel positions isn't as obvious as the best (or perhaps best adjusted?) of genuine single coils I've heard.

bojomojo likes this.
  11. modernp

modernp Member

.The Fralin split blades are crazy good. If you want to turn your strat into a rock machine look no further. I have a traditional in the neck, blues in the middle and an over wound in the bridge with a blender pot. Huge articulate sound. Great stuff.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    bojomojo likes this.
  12. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad your Kinman pickups work for you and you’re happy. My friends all commented on how sterile the HankMarvin pickups are in my strat. I hear it also. I like the YouTube videos for the Zexcoil Vintage Hot 5 set. The cleans sound spectacular. I’m listening to the videos through my Digital Audio Workstation with a high end sound card, DAC, and headphone amplifier. My headphones are Sennheiser HD-600’s. My buddy who’s an audio engineer designed my PC for me. It is much better than listening to a YouTube video through my iPad and using earbuds. The Dimarzio Area pickups sound good too. I don’t want active pickups so I’ve ruled out the EMG’s. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

13. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

How do they sound clean with no gain? How’s the “quack” on positions 2 & 4 clean and with gain? Do they have aged white covers available? Thank you.

14. PB+J

PB+J Member

They aren't single coil pickups.

Best? Either Bill Lawrence microcoils, which are low noise but not noiseless, or Lace Alumitones, which are dead noiseless and have the direct feel of single coils. Both meet the definition of single coil, even though there's a mini transformer in the alumitones.

Otherwise active pickups are your friend. I'd really like to try the fishman set.

songtalk likes this.
  15. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

It could be they are significantly different, it could equally be our taste or ears! :))

One other thing is I do use a rather geeky wiring which for the most part dispenses with orthodox low pass tone controls in favour of series blending and parallel blending. As a consequence the pickups in pickups are often not loaded by tone pots, and shop I buy my pots from let me test and select the ones with higher values, my volume pots are often 280k or so rather 250k (or often less if you buy from the shop I use! ;) ).

If you think a shade more top and slightly more dynamic feel might improve matters it might be worth checking your pot values and/or swapping in slightly higher values. You'll likely notice a difference, whether it'll be one you like I can't say!

Anyway good luck on your search and please less know what you find :)

bojomojo likes this.
  16. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Is the store you use to buy the 280 pots online? Please tell me the name of the store. Thank you.

17. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Afraid not. I literally go in with my multimeter and measure them until I find 3 or 4 that are 270k upwards.

bojomojo likes this.
  18. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I understand. Thank you for offering an alternative solution. Very clever.

JmpOne likes this.
  19. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I don’t know “best”, but I like my Bill Lawrence Wilde dual blade pickups, they sound great to me

bojomojo likes this.
  20. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Thanks. I’ll check YouTube for demo videos. Enjoy your day.

sahhas likes this.