Best Non-Gibson Sg

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cmc2878, Aug 22, 2006.

1. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

I've really been lovin the 61 era Sg body style...like Derek Trucks. But, I'm really not impressed with Gubson's prices or quality control. what builders make a good SG copy.

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have had some SG and always foudn problems with the intonation stability. So far some of the new Gibson are reall y nice. So far the only SG non Gibson that I like (more of a Les Paul) is the Yamaha SG-1600 (about the same as the SG-2000) This guitar rocks and plays great.

On other more SG tyoe I think Guild used to make one nice one some years ago, I think model F100 or something like that, you may find some used ones. Good luck.

3. Rich

Rich Member

Seriously, enuf of this already. Yes, you're entitled to an opinion. But Gibson makes some great guitars and the flippant bashing that all too often goes on here is BS. Go out and play some and you'll see. And plenty in the used market to choose from as well.

To answer the question directly-- there are none. Only an SG is an SG is an SG..... Same old story....

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Look around for an Elitest Epi SG. A local store here has one for about $650. You can find them around pretty easily.

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Heads up about the new Maestro Vibrato arms on the new SGs. I've read that Gibson doesn't temper them right and they will not stay in tune if you use them. It was never a good system anyway.

6. yanquii

yanquii Member

Jason Lollar makes a good one, but my favorite is Les Godfrey's Les G.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

I have played many gibsons but....fot the price point they are at I'm just not impressed with their finish and set-up issues. Now...don't get me wrong, I love Gibson guitars but I just dont enjoy the direction they are currently heading in. I've played a 400 dollar Godin Radiator that had a SUPERB setup. I was simply looking for a modern type equal...like a Suhr is to a strat or a Heritage to a LP.

8. Calloway

Calloway Member

I get where you're coming from to an extent. I play Gibsons, I have an R6 that is my baby, a guitar I have really bonded with. I've been wanting an SG for quite some time, but I'm used to the neck of my R6 and can't always hang w/ the 60's style neck, and I can't afford the price of another Historic Gibby. I contacted Aaron Henderson of Lowel guitars and he is now building me a 61 Reissue style SG with a 50's style Les Paul neck w/ long neck tenon, and I requested the body be slightly thicker to help balance it out. It will be transparent white with a Duncan 59 in the neck and an Antiquity in the bridge. Aaron has made quite a few SG style guitars that are way cool, they aren't so much replicas, but new innovations to the classic that I think are wicked cool; which is why I went with him. I've seen Lollars SG's and I think they look great and probably play great, but that is still outside of my budget. Gibsons are great, I stand by the guitars, but I wanted something unique and priced right for me.

I supply pics when it's done, which should be in about a month.

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

FWIW, My pal has had his Gibson SG for some time....Never quite played right, or kept in tune. Upgraded the tuners to nice Gotoh's...still nothing. Upgraded the nut to one of those Earvana's...still odd..Call it Gibson's crappy quality control, or bad luck...either way that particular SG hasn't been able to work very well for him.

10. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

My 4 SGs are all perfect and do exactly what I want them to do. And theyre all Gibsons. Its true that some people have no idea how to play an SG and always seem to have trouble with them.

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I just bought a new Gibson SG Standard this past May. Build date was January. It's not a Custom Shop - it's off the rack and it's a great guitar. I've been a Les Paul player for nearly 30 years, and I've bonded with the SG quicker than I ever thought. Sounds great, plays great. Setup and intonation are perfect. Gibson can still make a good one when they try, eh?

12. pep

pep Member

Look, I know there is a lot of Gibson and Fender bashing going on these days, but the sad fact is that there are a higher percentage of "dogs" hanging on the walls than there used to be. It's not just guitars though. It seems like QC in consumer goods of all sorts has hit the toilet. I am no expert, but it seems like with the advances in technology that the mfg's can produce a product for less $ than ever before, yet the prices are still high. Why is QC bad you ask. Because the corporations are betting on having to spend less money on warranty claims than they would if they just automatically spent the $ to rework or scrap less than adequate peices. Sorry for the rant, but it felt good!

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Absolutely. Try as many as you can, and you will surely find a standout. Additionally, try to find an SG with a fattish neck. Sometimes on SGs, the tuning instability can result from that long slim neck with minimal body contact. I had a great one with a nice fat neck and stupidly traded it for some now forgotten and long gone momentary desire. AC

14. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

FWIW, I played one of the new VOS SGs and thought it was stellar in every way. Good thing I'm broke, or I would have been sorely tempted.

- DB

15. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Torino by Samick has that look. Got a pretty good review in Guitar Player when it came out. What about the ESP Vipers?

16. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I prefer the Guild S-100 to most SG's.