1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best non-invasive pickup for my Bourgeois OM-18?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by nashvillesteve, Feb 22, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

What is recommended? I would prefer not to drill anything into the guitar (and definitely not one of those side-mounted EQ systems!!!)...

Who's got the goods? LR Baggs? I don't really like the Dave Matthews plinky piezo sound, what's the best solution?

Thanks! I'd love to be able to detach it and use it with my D-12-20 as well, or my Amalio Burguet classical guitar...

-Steve

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I checked out the shop I like and am considering the L.R. Baggs active i-beam system... I think it will be a nice pickup, anybody else use one?

I could put one in my classical guitar as well, though I'd really like a Wendler classical model (at $1199, sheesh!)...

I think I will be very happy with the i-beam...

-Steve

3. leond

leond Member

I have a Baggs iMix in a Larrivee. You will like the sound. Very natural and guitar like. :rolleyes:

It's the iBeam, Element and a preamp. I don't know how easy it would be to switch guitars with it. It's input is the end pin.

But you were thinking of just the iBeam and that has the same limitations.

If you're going to go that route (iBeam), go all the way with the iMix. You won't regret it.

LeonD

4. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

When you say drill, are you including the endpin? If not, I'd say K&K hands down. Don't know if they have a deal where you don't need to drill the endpin. Check their site at www.kksound.com.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I like the iMix system, I just finished reading the manual... It seems like a system worthy of permanent installation on a treasured instrument... I think I will also buy the K&K "hot harmonica" harmonica transducer for my Melodica (it's only $39!)...

6. leond

leond Member

The iMix has the option of sending a blended, mono signal out or a separate, stereo signal out. I usually send the mono out to my amp.

Today, I sent the stereo signal out to a Raven Labs PMB blender which lets me EQ each pickup seprately. Way cool. :AOK

I don't think I've ever heard an acoustic sound this good. Or have this much control over the tone.

LeonD

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I used to work with Dana Bourgeois at Pantheon Guitars. Dana likes the I-beams, and usually recommends it. I haven't spoken to him about the iMix, but I don't see a downside to it. I also like the B-Bands, and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks uses them in her Bourgeois Slope D's in a very high volume setting. Dana didn't like them as well because they were somewhat more trouble to install and get balanced.

John

8. antojado

antojado Member

I have a Baggs M1 in my slope d and I like it. It's really easy to put in since it just clamps in the soundhole and you can choose to route the cable out the soundhole if you don't want to drill the endpin. It's very quiet and I think it sounds great. I considered getting the K&K as I've heard good things about it, but I was able to test drive the M1 before I bought it and I liked the sound and how easy it is to install and uninstall.

I also have a Northwood OM with a B-Band soundboard pickup. It's also a nice sounding pickup. One nice thing about the B-Band and K&K systems is that you can get systems set up for multiple pickups, if you want to combine a soundboard with a mic for example. Of course they aren't the only systems that offer that.

Shoreline Acoustic Music (http://www.shorelinemusic.com/) has a good selection of pickups. I purchased my OM from John. He very friendly and has great service not to mention free express shipping!:)

9. ewa

ewa Member

The great thing about the K and K is it is passive. The K and K mini has the strongest output of any passive pickup I have heard. It sounds very warm also. ewa

10. jim0115

jim0115 Member

I have the M1 and also like it as well. I had the Baggs Active Element in for a short while but I hated the feedback that resulted. I bought mine from Shoreline as well. Very good guys over there. I recommend them.

11. royd

royd Member

For non-invasive without the piezo attack, I'd recommend the Baggs M1 or the Sunrise. You need a good pre-amp to get the best sound out of the Sunrise but they are great when tweaked right. There is a reason you see so many of them in touring pro's guitars. And if you want at a later date it is simple to add an internal surface mount transducer so you can get everything.

The M1 is similar and even has a bit more of the artifacts included because of the way it senses the top. I like them a lot too.

12. raz

raz Member

Yes there is. They're a damned good sound. And completely non-invasive if you want them to be.

I have no experience with the M1. But the Sunrise is killer. I use the Sunrise preamp box with it. Simple and portable.

13. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have K&K Pure Western pickups in my acoustics. Love 'em, very natural sounding.

--chiba