best octave pedal for octave DOWN

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ballynally, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ballynally

ballynally Member

I'm using a Boss Octaver2 at the moment with my guitar, and have some tracking problems.I'm using 2 amps, 1 with the normal signal and 1 where the octave down goes to, with the dry signal off. Ideally i would like the best tracking possible first, and the actual sound second, as i'm already getting a normal signal with some bass through my Fender amp..It's also important that it keeps tracking well if the sound is somewhat diminishing. My Boss has a hard time finding the octave down sound with a weak signal, with the result a back and forth, which is very irritating.So, i was thinking about the EHX micro pog, as it seems to track the best. However, i also had a look at the Foxrox Octron. Keep in mind, i'm NOT interested in the octave up, just the octave down without the dry signal.Finally, i'm getting the signal from an extra split coil P bass pickup covering the 3 bass strings of my 6 string guitar
    The various Youtube videos didn't really help me.Any thoughts?

2. JackRobertEvans

JackRobertEvans Member

3. MG90

MG90 Member

Boss Harmonist PS6

4. snouter

snouter Member

All analog here, so no Boss or EHX. I do have a Foxrox Octron. It is a MONSTER of a pedal. Luv it.

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

foxrox octron if you don't mind monophonic.

6. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I use my Eventide PitchFactor, does a pretty good job at that

7. cram

cram Member

I love my foxrox octron.
    It has both so the blend is really crucial here.

8. octatonic

octatonic Member

I use an Ibanez OT10.
    It is a really gnarly, raw tone.

9. dsj

dsj Member

EHX Ring Thing. There's a preset with a great octave down. Blend knob, and ridonkulous polyphonic tracking.

10. feralchild

feralchild Member

+1 for Pitchfactor. Smooth tracking and very little glitching compared to other pitch shifting devices I've tried.

But I'm sure if all you need is an octave down, there's better options. Especially if you are an analog purist.

11. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

+1 for Foxrox Octron.

12. ballynally

ballynally Member

im certainly not a purist, except, ehm, that i would like the signal to be as pure as possible, be it analog or digital, with the best tracking at the top of the list.

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Octron tracks well, but similar to boss.

14. sockeye

sockeye Supporting Member

Pearl may track low notes on the 6th string a bit better than Boss or Foxrox. But you *can* get those to track well by adjusting your picking, at least with single-coils.

15. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

The Boss OC-2 is fully analog and probably the best option in my opinion.

16. joe_mcdogwad

joe_mcdogwad Member

I have both the Micro Pog and the Foxrox Octron. I've tried a BUNCH of octave pedals, and the Octron is my favorite hands down. It tracks better than any other analog octave down pedal I've used, and it sounds FANTASTIC. BUT, that being said, the Octron still doesn't track perfectly. If it's perfect tracking you're after, the Micro Pog is probably the way to go.

17. Zakor

Zakor Member

18. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

This. The micro POG is the only choice if your goal is flawless tracking. Its also nice to be able to play more than 1 note, and still have it track well.

IMO, any analog octave pedal can track perfectly, but that is completely up to the player's technique. If you don't want your tone and technique dictated by the pedal, get the POG. If you want to make your analog octave pedal work, pick very cleanly only one note at a time. Neck pickup is best, rolling your tone knob down helps too. Signal chain placement will affect analog octave drastically. Micro POG can go anywhere in your chain. You can't screw its tracking up even if you try!

19. mboersma

mboersma Member

POG2! Gives you the option for octave and 2 octave down, as well as a Lo Pass Filter that can get you some gnarly bass tones.

20. ballynally

ballynally Member

i've taken another look at some videos, one that had the Boss OC2, the Micro pog and a Bass Octaver side by side. It seems to me that the Micro pog has the cleanest, most defined signal, and tracks really good. The extra advantage is the ability to play double strings without getting too messy, so some E and A strings rock and roll can be done. I mostly play finger style blues/country/ rockabilly anyway. Another option is the Foxrox Octron, but that might not track as well (as a poster above pointed out) as the Micro Pog. The Pog is not as thick and gnarly as other octavers, but i need it as clean as possible. I think i've made up my mind, but will wait another week. It is still pretty pricey (£150), and there might be other digital octavers out there that do a similar job, and are less pricey. I have some patience.