Best octave pedal for the $

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vspeedwell, May 22, 2020.

1. vspeedwell

vspeedwell Member

I've wanted an octave pedal for years and I finally decided to pull the trigger. From my research it seems the micro pog is the one but I haven't played through any so I thought I'd ask here before I make a purchase.

2. WillLane

WillLane Member

I played through a Micro POG for a long time. It's flawless in my opinion. However, it's bigger than it needs to be so I'd suggest looking into the Nano POG, which is in a standard-sized enclosure.

Some people think they sound different. Some think the Nano sounds better, some think the Micro sounds better. I don't have an answer for that.

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I love the whammy tones, but don’t really want the big Whammy pedal. My little Whammy Ricochet is perfect size and perfect tone, and the momentary switch is a blast.

I do see the appeal of the MicroPog. I just always heard a little bit of clang I couldn’t get rid of.

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I really liked the Sub n up when I had it, much more than an octaver.

CEFlint and borducks like this.
  5. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

It depends on what you want. I don’t want polyphonic or upper octave (unless from an Octavia) so I roll with an OC3. Does poly and mono. Gets it done :aok

Micro POG is awesome for poly + upper.

SlowJoeCrow likes this.
  6. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

For me the Boss Octaver OC2.

Windup 43 and hippieboy like this.
  7. Junta

Junta Member

you might want to look into the (radical) differences in tone and tracking between analog and digital.

I have two analogs and one kick ass digital on my board currently (and I have been through many others!). Yes I do love octavers!

1. On bass and guitar, perfect analog tracking: Aguilar Octamizer (no, it is not just a bass guitar pedal) - this would be my recommendation for price to performance ratio without specipic 'needs' - just straight up deep octave down!
    2. You just cannot get that classic 'synth' tone on bass with another analog pedal that is cheaper: Boss OC-2. Tracking on guitar not as good as the Octamizer.
    3. King of the digitals for me, after trying out many was the Walrus Luminary. Version 2 is out there now. Integration with expression pedal: priceless! (you have your self a super flexible/durable Whammy pedal...). I have never found a better digital octaver that sounds as good as this one with high gain. Price? Run away!
    4. Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer: wicked wicked low end... bad analog tracking!

Cheers!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    chankgeez likes this.
  8. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Chicago iron tycobrahe

9. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I got a Lovepedal Joker Octave during one of the sales for $56 with shipping. By far the best deal for a decent octave but in my experience it pays to spend a little more and get something that is really good. I only have it for fun to play with nothing live these days.

10. Highway Chile

Highway Chile Member

Octafuzz and Proctavia. Both are awesome, but octafuzz is more versatile. Ymmv

11. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Supporting Member

I’ve been using a Rocktron Black Rose lately. Paired with a black Russian Big Muff, it’s the sound I heard in my head when I began looking for an octave pedal. Love it.

Being new to octave pedals, I first placed it after the Muff. Hated it, thought something was wrong with it, Rocktron junk, etc. Placing it before the Muff, there was thee sound.

Now if I can just get my wah pedal in the proper order in the chain...

12. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

The Sub n' Up is great, especially if you go through the toneprints. I like the one with the extra gain added.

borducks likes this.
  13. TL;DR

TL;DR Member

Whatever you get, use it sparingly

14. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Member

I prefer an analog octave pedal, mostly because I have never used a digital one I really liked. In saying that, I have never tried any of the POG series, but I did have a Pitch Fork and hated it. I also had a Sub n Up and found it to be rather meh.

I use a Foxrox Octron 3 and it is amazing in every way. Great sounding and tracking sub octave and dirty upper octave. Both sound very musical and you can blend them with the dry signal for all kinds of effects. It also works great with fuzz and wah.

15. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

The best one out there is the Foxrox Octron. They have two different versions with different layouts and features.

16. borducks

borducks Member

TC Sub n Up. Great tracking. Pretty neutral tone. Can do many things via to sprint. Also flips between clean digital to glitchy rude monophonic