Best OD/Booster in front of Slash Marshall?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Filter428, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Hey guys, I just got a Slash Sig. Marshall and I love the tones I get out of it but I was wondering.....to all those out there with the same amp, which is your favorite od/booster pedal to use in front of it? Does anyone just go with an eq to boost your solos?

2. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I have a Marshall Jubillee Series Combo which I assume is pretty similar. I have Barber Direct Drive, reissue TS 808 and have tried a couple of other overdrives for boosting. None have really worked with this amp for me. The amp sounds better without these (on the overdrive channel) I had an old smooth sounding original Boss OD which worked very well with a JCM 800 that I used to use. I am curious to see what responses you get here. As it looks now I will probably order an RC booster to try. Good luck.

3. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Hey bickertfan, I love the od channel on the amp. You're right, you can't use just any ol' od pedal because then it becomes too much. I've got an old Boss OD-1 and even that's too over the top for this amp. It does sound ok with my JCM 800 50 watt. So I'm thinking maybe a booster or a even a treble booster may do it. Back to the hunt! These are my amps. I'll post a pic of the Slash amp soon. Got a pic of the Jubilee combo?

[​IMG]

4. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Filter 428 - I don't have any pics. It's a small 1 - 12 combo. Does'nt look too impressive but tonally it sounds very very decent. I'm thinking booster pedals may be the way to go with this amp as well. I am listening to Diamon J drive (one side is clean boost) clips as we 'speak' and there is a good thread here on the Burriss Boostier. The RC booster seem like a good bet as there is more of a concensus on it.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

gonna recommend the catalinbread super chile picoso. Fattens up your sound really nicely (people with SS amps like the line 6 modelling amps claim it makes it sound more valvey, and I concur) and most people never turn it off, though I do because I use it as a lead boost. It won't add grit to your sound unless you turn it past 3:00 (which is more than enough). Also, it's a tiny little pedal.

I use it with my marshall AVT which does not have a good distorted sound, though it's not bad for an SS, and with my SCP I can get tones out of it in the ballpark of a tube amp.

6. what?

what? Member

Filter! hey walter this is me reginald, you still remember me?I recognize you from those amps :) damn nice!

7. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

I'm using a Timmy and a Hellbilly as an OD/Boost on my JCM800 2205. Works really well! :) The Timmy can do a very nice and transparent clean boost as well as a low gain overdriven sound. IMO, the HB does great work as a treble booster more than a fuzz.
    I'm also curious about other experiences because I always read experiences from users with Fender-like amps.

8. el34power

el34power Member

+1 i have a picoso with my JCM800. Very nice.... I am thinking of getting an RC Booster. The only reason is because the Picoso does not have tone controls and i would like to cut some bass ever so slightly.

9. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Hey Reg! What's up brotha! How was Thanksgiving in the land down under? Get any new gear? I just got a Slash Marshall amp so now my HK Duotone is up on the block for sale. I'm asking $1200 for it. I hate to sell it but because of the Slash amp I have to make the sacrifice! Such is life!

I guess I'm going to have to go with the Catalinbread Picoso.
    Thank you for the input guys. I appreciate it. But I have to tell you the JCM 800 and the Slash Sig. amp are two different animals!

10. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Analogmans Boss SD-1/808 Silver;)

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I'm going through the same search with a new-to-me '86 JCM800 (2205) with Voodoo mod. I bought an MI Audio Tube Zone for this, but feel it is too much like a tubescreamer and gives that polished processed sound when used in this application (very nice for other applications, though). Using it as a simple clean boost doesn't seem to do the trick either. I would stay away from tubescreamer types. I may try a treble booster, but I'm not convinced they'll sound any better than my Tube Zone when set up that way.

Right now, I'm using my H & K Tube Factor, which I had previously been using into my clean channel as a 2nd distortion channel. When dialed down for an addition to the high gain channel, it's pretty awesome. You keep the dynamics that are lost with the tubescreamer pedals, and it adds a lot of punch. It seems to pull your notes up rather than squash them down. It can be clicked in and out for certain lead parts without a noticeable change or clicking sound in the music. The bad part is that it's big and it will send you into uncontrolled feedback if you set it too high.

Good luck.

12. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Hey Gulliver, I've got an HK Tube Factor that sounds great through my JCM 800 but when I plug it into the Slash amp, it's basically the same sound as the JCM 800, it's just that when you go to the higher gain channel on the Slash amp I get all that uncontollable feedback even at a low setting. It's way too much pedal for this amp.

The Analogman SD-1 may even be too much for this amp, also. I'm hoping the Cat. Picoso pedal will push it to the next level. I'm also hearing a lot of good things about the RC boost.

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Great Solutions with less mids (Marshalls tend to flat eq so they don't need extra unless you looking for that sound with a strat-whole new thread)

in price order

BOSS OD-3

FMD ( stephensonamps.com only $100)
    background and disclaimer : I don't work for this company, but when I bought his stagehog, I later asked what else he was working on, he mentioned this FMD pedal, great unit, many eq settings, based jfet circuits? ( I am not sure) but it seems to nail sounds of so many pedals, like the TIM, RC xotic, BSM pedals ( without the noise) this thing is dead quiet. I am really excited aout this pedal because it works my vintage marshall, every Fender I tried, and some newer Marshall's- I would guess it works with anything. I think it may be at the NAMM show?

Blues breaker original (EBAY) sounds great with marshalls.... Very similar in tone ( only) to the KOT ( analogman)

timmy

super grado (catalinbread) no bass cut with a little hair, fuller bass

TIM ( first channel very smooth but small amount ( less than the timmy but very transparent) of drive, lots of gain, channel 2 : 3 times more drive than the timmy wide open, plus an effects loop for eq's or delay ( very cool)..... BTW Paul actually made the TIM to work well with his strat or Les Paul into his vintage Marshall....

OCD

AC BOOST, RC BOOST and or BB PRE AMP ( all by Xotic nothing quite like them IMO)

Cot 50, more open sounding than the eternity IMO, great to make a Fender a Marshall, but can be nice with a marshall too!

Hotcake ( awesome unit with more gain and drive than most ppl give it credit for - PLENTY)

FISH FACTORY ( lots of color and possibilities)

Eternity: great versatility, less bottom end than the RDR IMO.

Dyna Red Distortion: Probably the craziest pedal for modern marshall lead or rhythm tone is the

KOT ( like 2 bluesbreakers? IMO) cool switchable drive settings, nice tone control) however steep price tag and a very very very long wait..... in a galaxy ...far far away.....

14. el34power

el34power Member

Exactly. I have tried a Keeley SD-1, TS-9 backed, Barber LTD. They are all great pedals but i think the JCM does not need gain. It just needs a little from a friend:rolleyes:
    The Keeley BD-2 is really nice too with the gain off, level at 1:00 and tone on noon.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hey man. You'll love the SCP. Give us a report when you receive it!

16. gulliver

gulliver Member

Good excuse for me to get the Slash amp so we can have the exact same gear.

:D

One thing on booster pedals, any thoughts on advantages of AC pedals that run with more power ~ vs ~ typical pedals that are designed around the ol' 9-volter. It seems like the plug-in-only types have a lot more room as far as headroom and can boost better without squashing. Am I on crack? ... any help here?

17. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Well I have given the RC Booster a try for a couple of rehearsals and 1 gig. It didn'nt really stand out to me as anything special while boosting the gain channel on this amp (Marshall Jubilee). However for building a sound on the clean channel of this amp it is absolutely wonderful. My reissue TS 808 maybe isn't perfect for this but for me it's a reliable go to.

18. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have tried the AC and RC boost for a similiar application
    I thougth I would like the RC but ended up with the AC as I thought it was a bit more versatile, you can set it for just a clean boost, or with a bit of gain or with some equing done...

I like it, but want to try a barber tone press to get a subtle boost plus a little compression. as such, the AC is for sale

19. gulliver

gulliver Member

Thanks for the follow up.

Since this thread started, I picked up a Hotplate (Voodoo modded JCM800). It took tinkering and getting used to, but it allows me to go pedal-less with the sensitivity I was looking for; without going deaf. With a strat, it pushes the clean channel for a real glassy SRV vibe as well.

20. Filter428

Filter428 Member

I've been thinking about the RC pedal. Thanks BF! I bought a Pres. Elec. Germ pedal and I absolutely love it! It's an amazing two-channel boost pedal and it's very quiet and doesn't muddy up your sound. It gives you a nice friendly boost! Lots of versatility within that little box. I traded a pedal for it and now I know why it received a Guitar Players Magazine Editors Choice Award. I've also got a Catalinbread SCP and a BSM HS Custom treble booster and a MXR six band eq on the way. As soon as I check those out I will give an update. Hey BF, is the reissue TS-808 the same as the Maxon OD-808?

Hey Gulliver, get the Slash amp!:D If you're a hard rock player you will love the sound! I think that the difference between an AC pedal as opposed to a nine volter all depends on the circuitry of the pedal. Older pedals to me sound better with a nine volt. And it has to be a carbon nine volt, you know, the 99 cent cheapo ones, not an Alkaline. Alkalines seem too harsh for an older circuit say like that of an older MXR Phase 90. Sometimes that squashy sound ain't so bad! Put the crack pipe down!:)