Best OD -> Dist -> Fuzz (or any order) 1/2/3 combo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sociophile, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying to better understand the subtleties of pedal stacking.

What are some of your favorite (presumably complementary) overdrive, distortion, and fuzz pedal combinations, and why? Any common mistakes to avoid? I play bluesy-hard rock, but am open to all kinds of answers.

Thanks so much from a first-time poster!

2. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

I like an SD1 or TS9 into a Big Muff. The added mids are really complimentary to the scooped muff sound, and are great for making a solo cut through without adding a ton of volume. I think you'll get a lot of Timmy, Klon and Rangemaster stacking recommendations, those seem to be universally regarded as good for stacking, but haven't tried stacking those myself.

3. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

4. bluflames

bluflames Member

I really like the combination of my Mythical Overdrive and my boss SD-1, as well as my Prince of tone clone and my SD-1.

I've been led to believe that the rat can do all 3 sounds and I'm building the madbean slow Loris soon so I will report back once I get to play around with it some

5. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

Great suggestions, thanks!

In general, what details are most important when pairing pedals together? Also, when should pedal order deviate from OD->Dist->Fuzz (which I was told is most common, unless the fuzz is germanium)?

I have a Palisades OD and a Lizardbreath Feedback Fuzz. I was eyeing the DOD Boneshaker (when it finally arrives), but I have no idea how to make these play well together, or if they even can!

Any advice to help me understand the dynamics of the issue would be greatly appreciated. And of course, more pedal recommendations!

6. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Right now Lovepedal Kalamazoo (or FD2), weird no name RAT clone, Prescription Experience though I played the Basic Audio Tourbox and the Shore Bird beat out my RAT clone and the Alter Destiny is a thing of beauty!!!