Best OD for a Strat???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tubetone74, Mar 14, 2006.

1. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Talking using a 3 single coil traditional configuration of the beast only.
    Please also note why you think that OD is best.
    All experienced and knowledgeable posts appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I really like TS type pedals with Strats. In a full band situation, I find these pedals cut through great. Other ODs that have a more scooped mid or more low end sound cooler to me by themselves. THEN AGAIN, I mostly like the TS types when there is another guitarist.

I like the TC Jauernig DGTM, but there are many other TS derivatives.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The blackstone appliance pedal, kills everything I've ever tried, believe me I have tried.

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

dang near any od pedal will be great, with singles. The Bad Monkey is a sweet start, the best OD pedal with singles might arguably be the klon, or original ts808 or the blues devil, or landgraff or TIM/timmy. THe best small amp that can also be a OD or distortion pedal is definitely the STage Hog-nothing else comes close IMO for the sheer versatility and Giant tone!

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

Another vote for a TS type pedal with a Strat.

6. peequin

peequin Member

Yeah a TS-9 is my vote.

Seem to be voiced correctly for a Strat--more mids make it sound beefy. I have a Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus and it sounds buttery smooth through my setup.

7. jpagey

jpagey Member

These pedals work great into clean and slightly dirty amps:
    Barber TP EQ
    Lovepedal CoT
    Hermida Zen Drive
    GGG Std OD
    Keeley modded SD-1

I like them becase they can give you warm boost, light od to med high gain (ZD is really has no more gain than medium) tones; they are not particularly mid heavy like a ts-9 and can be used for a variety of toens and music. Good luck!

8. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

9. wednesdaysworse

wednesdaysworse Member

I've used many OD's with different Strats to play Chicago style blues at numerous clubs in Chicago area over many years. My favorites have been Menatone Red Snapper and Clark Gainster. I currently use a Robert Cray Strat (stock) and either a Rivera or Crate Vintage Club 30 amp.
    Other good choices for me have been Barber LTD, Nobels ODR-1 and ZenDrive. Actually a Bad Monkey will do in a pinch!

10. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Texas Two Step II. For cheap, another vote for the Bad Monkey!

11. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Hate to hijack, but how do you guys think the MI Audio Blues Boy/Pro work with a strat into a clean el-84 amp?

12. stratplusguy

stratplusguy Member

I am a strat plus guy with lace sensor. I just recently went through a spree of buy and sell ODs. The two that I found that I liked the best was Analogman's SD1 brown mod for a nice smooth blues OD and IndyGuitarist's SD1 Fulltone mod for a nice hot OD. I also use Rick Gram's Woman Tone sometimes with the gain around 3 for a nice transparent boost.

13. madsr

madsr Member

I usa a keeley bd2 and a keeley ts9/808+ mod for OD.. awesome combo for strats.. I have 2 american strats, fralin blues specials, use a peavey delta blues and a fender pro jr in stereo..awesome tone with these pedals.. Other OD's I've gone though are: HBE Power Screamer(sounded too much like a pedal),menatone howie( a little too gritty and noisy), menatone fish factory(this pedal sounded great until I plugged in the bd2), keeley ts 808(great pedal!!, AB'd with the ts9/808+ mod = same exact tone-if you don't need true bypass save yourself $90.),lovepedal COT50 red led(should have kept this one because it blends well in front of every OD I've had...probably will be getting another one), emme reezafritza.. (a little too dark and bassy for me), xotic AC booster(sounded great at the store thru a deluxe reverb..got it home and it didn't work with my rig), and the stock ts9, ts9dx, boss bd2, boss ds-1...all in all I'd say the keeley modded ts9 gives you clean boost to SRV to medium crunch and adds that boxy tone in a good way.. the keeley phat modded bd2 gives you a nice clean boost also and smooth hendrix type of OD up to a nice thick fat round crunch and growl.. and stacked takes it up a notch for nasty sustaining leadwork.

14. samuelson

samuelson Member

+2 on the fulltone OCD
    +4 on the TC9 also, I use a TC9DX and get several different sounds
    +2 on the bad monkey. It was my first pedal and still in use today.

15. stratofied

stratofied Member

I love the Tim with Strats. The COT 50 and Eternity are great as well.

16. Tone Doctor

Tone Doctor Guest

17. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

MJM Blues Devil or Menatone Red Snapper for TS inspired joy! The RS is a slight bit more open or natural sounding, and the BD is a slight bit more gritty and has a softer attack. Of course a lot depends on the amp. I play mine through a '67 Super Reverb. Also using the G2D Custom for my heavier gain stuff. Good Luck!

18. exodus

exodus Member

boss metal zone with a klon buffer. :jo

sorry, it's just such a vague question. I mean... what the hell really doesn't work with a strat? and what kind of pickups? and what kind of music? best for hendrix or best for mark knopfler or best for buddy holly or best for green day.... etc....

hell, the metal zone might work for some types with a strat... (not my types). [sorry, i'm cranky]:BITCH

19. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Pro Analog Dual Drive for any guitar, but you gotta like your amp's inherent sound too. :horse

20. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Tone DoctorPigtronix Disnortion...

There you go again....