Best OD for a Strat...

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure there have been plenty of threads on this topic, and I will check them out as well.

What I have is a clean amp platform (think Twin Reverb), and would like an overdrive tone like Hendrix's "Spanish Castle Magic", or Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover".

My favorite lead tones tend to be the same, be it humbucker or single coil.
Smooth, soaring, touch sensitive...where you're listening and not thinking (or caring) is it's a Strat or a Paul or a Tele.

OK...suggestions?

Thanks,

S.
j

toc626

I'm also interested...I have an old Butler Real Tube which is pretty good, but am looking for something better.

blustrat

prince of tone , dumkudo , caveman , zen drive , cornish ss-3 / g-2 ( not all at once )
mix carefully , mid on amp around 10/11 o'clock

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Surprisingly enough, the BB only works with my humbucker guitars...for my taste.
I have a few TubeScreamer clones (Working Man Blue-Menatone for example) that dont work well either.

What has worked so far...

1)Fulltone FD2 MOSFET
2)TC Jaurnig DGTM (early version)

* I have a Tim lying around somewhere...I have to dig it up and give it a go.

So...still on the hunt.

S.
j

Last edited:

Kluch

eric Johnson used a fuzz face on cliffs of dover I thought... so... fuzz face? fulldrive is a great choice with a strat too though... love mine.

Have you thought the new Love Pedal Dover Drive? I also think a Fuzz Face would also get what you want. A nice warm Ge Fuzz would get you somewhere in that vicinity.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Have you thought the new Love Pedal Dover Drive? I also think a Fuzz Face would also get what you want. A nice warm Ge Fuzz would get you somewhere in that vicinity.

I agree with the Ge Fuzz Face suggestion. I have one of my strats modded to the "50s wiring" so that when you lower the volume, the highs are not rolled off. So when I use this guitar, I use the Ge Fuzz Face (in my case, an MJM London Fuzz) and roll back the volume so most of the fuzz cleans up (just leaving a little for when I dig in). Really good tone with this scenario, especially trying it in multiple Fender tube amps.

Parazyd

Surprisingly enough, the BB only works with my humbucker guitars...for my taste.
I have a few TubeScreamer clones (Working Man Blue-Menatone for example) that dont work well either.

What has worked so far...

1)Fulltone FD2 MOSFET
2)TC Jaurnig DGTM (early version)

* I have a Tim lying around somewhere...I have to dig it up and give it a go.

So...still on the hunt.

S.
j

What about a Fulltone OCD?

:horse

johnny5

Silver Supporting Member
Hendrix tone with a clean platform? I would suggest a Fuzz Face into a Barber LTD (or sim) while riding the volume on your guitar.

Fuzz Faces that have a pre-gain control (I like 50k) are really helpful to get more OD from your FF.

zztomato

I find the Vemuram Jan Ray boosted by something is nice with a strat. You can also just use it with gain maxed and get a good singing kind of sustain.

It is a modification on the Timmy platform. Mike at Alalogman had mentioned offering a mod to the Timmy to make it like the Jan Ray.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I am getting those tones with a clean amp using a TS type of pedal, a Marshally sounding pedal and a FF style.

ToneRanger72

I've found to get both the Hendrix and the EJ thing into a clean amp is (if you can swing the $,) try a Jetter Gold Standard and some type of fuzz face. Combining the fuzz with only the helium side of the Jetter gets that awesome Hendrix roar; for EJ "Cliffs" turn on both sides of the Jetter ("Cliffs" was NOT a fuzz face - it was a Tube Driver into a Marshall.)
I ran this exact setup into a clean Fender Twin at my last gig and was able to nail both sounds with ease...

miniboard1_zps607fefd1.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom