• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Best OD for clean Fender platform?

BerkeleyJones

Wadup gang, new here.

Looking for an OD that isn't particularly low gain but will be used for crunch/rhythm - I play a Tele into a Twin Reverb. Something with "oomf" - most likely to be used on its own.

Cheers!

EDIT: Now using the Barber CDD for rhythm, Bogner Burnley for lead with this setup. Love hearing what works for everyone out there!

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Free the Tone MS SOV MS-2V or KoT for my Fenders. Both are fantastic. The MS SOV MS-2V has a little more gain than the KoT (I have the higher gain red side version).

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro sounds awesone through a Twin. Can do from clean boost to full on overdrive. Check one out, have both the pedal and a Twin Reverb, extremely versatile.

Rockett Guthrie Trapp overdrive is a IC clipping stage overdrive.I use it with a strat and any Fender amp.It sounds real smooth at low gain settings and with a small mod I do it gives it that ultra linear low/low-mid sound (Dumble) but as is with a tele it sounds great.For rock the Rockett Flex and I do a mod to the Barber Direct Drive,Alpha Drive,Xotic BB pre custom and others all great for single coils

Last edited:

Dunzie

I play into a clean-base Fender tweed... and the best OD's I've narrowed it down to after trying dozens are the Rockett Blue Note, Analogman Prince or King of Tone, Rockett Archer (or similar), and yeah the Gain Changer's good too. I also like the Hermida Zendrive but it's definitely a warmer and more uniquely voiced OD. All of those work great as a mid gain crunch tone. The Blue Note though is definitely something special into a Fender tube...

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
If you had not said the word "oomph" I probably would not have added to the bound to be long list of pedal suggestions...

But since you said "oomph"

DOD preamp 250. "Oomph" is one of the words I've used to describe this pedal or actually to describe what other pedals were lacking while searching for a second OD to have on my board . Which I still have not found.

DOD is killing it right now with some of their new RI's.

BerkeleyJones

I play into a clean-base Fender tweed... and the best OD's I've narrowed it down to after trying dozens are the Rockett Blue Note, Analogman Prince or King of Tone, Rockett Archer (or similar), and yeah the Gain Changer's good too. I also like the Hermida Zendrive but it's definitely a warmer and more uniquely voiced OD. All of those work great as a mid gain crunch tone. The Blue Note though is definitely something special into a Fender tube...

I've been looking into getting a blue note for some time. Just put myself on the list for the KoT (about a decade late) although I've owned a Prince of Tone but wasn't my cup of tea so we'll see. I bet at stage volume the blue note would really let your harmonics shine through. Can't go one page of threads without seeing the Gain Changer mentioned, it must really be something.

Great feel to your playing btw, awesome demo!

ndtealmusic

The Gain Changer is superb. Honestly, find one of the past threads or start a new one that is dedicated to it, either here or on TDPRI, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that has something legitimately bad to say about it. I use mine for basically what you seem to be looking for. It's my clean sound with a touch more mid range punch, a smidge of hair, and additional presence. It works beautifully.

FWIW, I'm using a Vox TB18C1, which is somewhat Fender-esque in nature. It's at least worth checking out.

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
The only "bad" thing about the Gain Changer, is the EQ. I just wish it was a two band/Baxandall/Timmy style bass and treble EQ so you don't have to cut one to turn op the other.

But yeah, GC and Fender go together like red wine, Xanax, and butt sex.

Bennihana

OCD is still a pretty tried and true. Ive been running into a fender amp for many years and OCD variants have always nailed a great crunchy rhythm tone.
Might as well buy an Ultimate Drive or EHX Glove just to see if it's for you.

GreenTea

I'll strongly second Mike R's input on the Snouse BlackBox! (You might also consider the SYOD3.)

Trending Topics