Best OD for strat and Marshall/Vox

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Voxshall, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

My pedal board feels almost complete but I'm unhappy with my high gain sound using a strat.

I use a 73 Marshall Superlead and using a TC Electronic Line Booster pedal it sounds perfect with my Les Paul = Huge sustain sounds like a Marshall on 20. When I use this Booster on a strat it seems to bright clear and harsh. So I'm using a Hotcake I had lying around and this sounds to compressed almost choked not enough sustain, its fine for chords but not so great for solo I've been using a Foxrox Fuzzfoot for thick leads.

I've never owned a tube screamer but people seem to love them with strats I was thinking the Ulbrick AXE7 would be good for my needs.

Anyone have opinions.

I want the traditional sound of a strat into a Marshall with huge sustain, I also have a 60's Vox AC30 I want it to match with also but this is secondary.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Lovepedal COT 50.

3. Griz

Griz Member

Hmmm...

Have you considered the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster or the Divided by 13 Lift pedal? Maybe it's their Joyride pedal I mean. I'd have to check.

It sounds like you want something to not only boost the signal level but provide a bit of subtle fattening for the Strat, without any spiky treble.

I've had decent results with a combination of Duncan Pickup Booster and Keeley Compressor (which slightly softens highs). It makes a Strat or Tele sound gigantic without getting away from the guitar's natural voice.

Best of luck.
    :D

4. rongtr

rongtr Member

One thing that helps Jeff Beck get his overdrive sound with a Strat and Marshall is to turn his tone control on the guitar almost all the way off.

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

when i plug my strats into my marshalls i almost always use a tubescreamer or t.s. variant. It really fills out the mids and gives the single coils a fatter tone.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Have you tried a Barber Direct Drive?

7. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I haven't tried much - Eternity/ Divided by 13 Lift and Ranger, TS9, Bad Monkey.

I liked the ts9 into a Vox and liked it, but it was missing something.

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Addrock Not So Ol' Yeller at 18 volts for me. It beat out a Roadhouse Eternity and a white Eternity, along with tons of other ODs. I use it with my Strats into my Germino Lead 55 (Marshall clone) and Mojave Sidewinder (Voc AC-30 Normal channel clone) and it sounds perfect. I have clips on Youtube under Guitarbrent for examples.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

any rangemaster with a treble knob might be worth looking into.

The TC pedals are all pretty bright if you ask me. I like 'em though. That said I like them at low volumes, but they get overly bright at higher settings. A TS will probably do you good.

10. leech

leech Member

Toneczar Openhaus might do it for you.

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I'd say get an LDO or Mo'D

12. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

Whats a LDO and Mo'D??

13. gregory49

gregory49 Member

sorry landgraff dynamic overdriver and landgraff mo'd (more distortion) tubescreamer and rat variations. check out youtube for clips. eric-d on here does some great stuff.

14. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

Thanks guys I guess I have some testing to do.