Best OD for TV Jones pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SunnyRollins, Feb 15, 2008.

1. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

I wonder what is the best OD for a hollow body with TV Jones pickups.
    Something like a Rev Horton Heat or Setzer in his gainier tones...with lots of dangerous attitude while retaining that twangy as hell mojo!
    Something my "Betty Page" looking sweetie might dig...;)

2. Curly

Curly Member

don't know, but I'd say you'll want to retain as much of the pickup's natural tone as possible, because the ones I have sound fantastic!

3. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Get a Red Snapper. You will be happy.

4. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

well, that's in part true. these pickups are amazing! (tv classics)
    but i've heard tones from them wich made me wonder about it.
    You can always get it with your amp+guitar but there's always some device that adds "something".:crazy
    thanks, i'll check it out:BEER

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I have them in a 5120, and actually find they take most OD pedals really well. The Classic+ (hotter) bridge pup really screams and hold together well, when pushed........you can almost get metal level, if you wanted.

My preference is for a ToneBender fuzz, or germ/sil hybrid boost, like the Hellbilly.

Barber LTD, Timmy, even Bad Monkey work well for lighter OD porpoises.

Nothing I've tried DOESN'T work, really.

6. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Very true. Believe it or not the standard Boss Blues Driver sounds great with them. Try it with lower gain settings.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Wait for the new version Menatone Dirty Blonde, based on the actual circuitry of a '63 blonde bassman, ala Setzer.

8. muddy

muddy Member

my maggie (neck pos) LOVES my dirt roy w/cheez. but the ax is a solid body.

ml

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

With a Gretsch-style guitar, you just need somethnig to push it a little bit and make it nastier. Most light ODs that add a little mids will be great. I love my Hot Cake with the gain set at about 40% with my Gretsch. Rude sounding.

10. wiredturtle

wiredturtle Member

You have asked a question that I feel I can say I KNOW better than most
    because this is a very narrow genre and a hard line to dial in. I tried
    many pedals n pre's( those in the TTE and RE-301) for years and other than borrowing the artists rig and his hands (and Ive tried dup'n the rig of setzer and rev down to the Ts) the answer comes from 2 pedals specifically. The TIM pedal by paul cochrane and the Barber Burn Unit (or small fry).
    ITs not that the TIM pedal is the must own"so 5 minutes ago" booteek box, but that its design seems to breathe Gretsch maple boxes and filtertrons. No compression, no sag no "Im an SRV blues dude" thing. It will give you that near perfect Setzer Twang with a clip sound while keeping all the dynamics in check and with a little more twist to the gain it IS reverend Jim's gretsch sound. IF you then want to have Jim's Space Heater and Lucky 7 tones, you keep the Barber pedal just after the Tim (my TIM is kept on all the time) and set the burn 2/3s up. By itself the box is over the top but the TIM in front pushes the guitar's inherent twang and punch through the gritch of the barbers grind.

If you are a dyed in the wool Gretsch dude with an ear for RHH and Setzers sound, I seriously believe I am not steering you wrong. I say this
    humbly but with geek'd out joy.
    If you have a chance visit my bands myspace site and listen to the guitar
    solos in the songs "Cara mia" and "Battlehymn". Thats an SSU going through a TIM pedal, to a Burn unit, to an old analog DM-3 boss delay out
    to a 63' blonde bassman 6G6-b and dual V30 CS tonemaster cab.
    As a gretsch/bassman nut I would DIE without these pedals as they shape my overall sound and I dont see them as stompboxes (even though I use
    plenty).

just my passionate opinion based on too much trial ($$$) and error.
    [​IMG]
    myspace.com/tavoandtheflatblackthrillers
    [​IMG]

11. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

wow man! first of all thanks for your valuable input.
    TIM...i've read SO many good comments about it that it seems i'll have to do something about it.
    I loved your myspace link, really...it shows your dedication to this style and sound and the songs are great (and the cover chick too):cool: Congratulations!
    i'll see what i can do regarding that tim thang and your overall advice.
    :BEER

12. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

:drool:crazy:drool

13. jayn

jayn Member

I agree that the Hot Cake goes well with a Gretsch. I also agree with the poster that recommended a Tim (or Timmy)...although I don't have one right now to test. On the non-boutique side, a Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) or OD-3 works if the gain is set low although my BD is modded pretty substantially.

14. surrealmccoy

surrealmccoy Member

Digging up old threads..... The other guitarist in my group plays through a Rev. Heat by Gretsch. He runs it through a couple pedals and into a Rt 66 by Doctor Z. On the clean/jangle stuff it sounds big. When he has to kick in some dirt/OD it just squeals like a stuck pig.

The guitar is stock. No Mods. He's thinking of selling it, but I'm wondering what he might look at trying to tame the feedback when he kicks in the boost/OD/Dist.

Suggestions?

15. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I have a friend who's got a Gas Pedal's Carb that he uses with his TV Jones loaded Gretsch.....man it sounds great.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    These PUP's sound great with ANYTHING :aok

17. Fendert

Fendert Member

I can agree with this. I have a monte allums blues stack mod done to my BD-2 and it sounds great with my TV clasics

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is something that sounds better the a BD-2, and thats an EP Booster at like 12 to 3 o'clock. sounds fantastic and natural if you ask me. I'm playing through an AC15c1 though

18. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Ditto on the timmy/tim
    Try out the brian setzer nocturne pedal as well. It sounded really good

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

As a huge RHH fan I love the sound of a 6120 cranked up! My main guitar is a 6120 SSLVO and I have searched for over 10 years for the right OD. I have even learnt how to build my own amps so that I can get the right amount of tightness in the bass that you need with a guitar like this.

My main issue with ODs is that most give you no control over the bass content. That's a big problem if the low string twang is a part of your sound. The ODs I liked in the past have been things like the Bad Cat Two-tone, Menatone Workingman's Blue and Xotic BB. All of them give you good control over the shape of the tone.

But the best one of all for me is the Fetto Custom. I even made suggestions to Joakim over the voicing of the mids switch to suit my Gretsch. Through various Tweed clones and my home-brew blonde Bassman it sounds as close to perfect as I can get. The bass strings retain all their definition but still growl, and the trebles are wonderfully fat and sweet. There is a lovely midrange honk that a good 6120 can get on the bridge pickup which prevents it from sounding thin but which can be obscured by most OD pedals. The Fetto Custom helps it stay intact with great clarity. It does the clean/dirty thing better than most too. I did a demo for Himmelstrutz with a 6120 that is on Youtube. It sounds OK on Youtube but a lot bigger in the flesh.

The Timmy can work but to me it sounds a little timid and bland in comparison. It's good but not great and growly like the Fetto. The only other pedal I have found recently that sounds really good with a 6120 is the Amp11. Not as clear in the low end as Fetto but sounds nice and fat.

20. SHM

SHM Member

I use a Hot Cake, BB and a Barber LTD. Very nice.