1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Best OD order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hunkowood, Sep 18, 2006.

1. hunkowood

hunkowood Member

Ok, Just a quick question on stacking. Klon,Timmy,Blues Devil? Discuss.

Thanks,Hunk

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

So far I've always put the higher gain stuff before lower gain.

3. hunkowood

hunkowood Member

So; Guitar->BD->Timmy->Klon->amp?

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

I'd go Klon > Timmy > BD

But I dont know where the Klon is designed to sit. I noramlly go lowest to highest.

5. BrianB

BrianB Member

I'd do the Blues Devil > Centaur > Timmy but I've never played a Centaur. I go from more focused sounding overdrives to more even sounding ones – usually.

6. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Depends on how you're using them.
    A good rule of thumb is to go from the lowest gain to the highest. That way you can stack the pedals with better results. A low gain od pushing the front end of a higher gain od can sound great but opposite it can get a bit out of control...but there are no rules...it's what ever works for you.

7. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

wouldn't a fuzz (high gain) usually come earliest...?

8. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

I'm using a Catalinbread SCOD and a TIMMY (with 1458 chip) and I find that they work best as SCOD > TIMMY
    The Timmy's EQ section is amazing, plus I use it as a hybrid clean boost/OD. The SCOD just seems to add great gain to the Timmy but retains the TIMMY's EQ when run like this.
    Just my findings :)

9. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Yeh, you're right, but not because it's high gain, it's becaues of the input impedance. Fuzz's as a general rule like to see the input impedance from your pick-up coils. They're very sensitive to even the slightest change such as buffer cicuits or d.c. restoration.
    I've seen alot of guys posting that the higher the gain the earlier it should be in your chain, but to my ears this has a more limited application. A low drive pedal with clarity and transparency can take your guitar tone and punch it into a higher gain pedal and you'll still have the dynamics of the low gain pedal, but the other way around and you can drive the input of a low gain pedal too hard. A pedal designed to be low gain can do couple of nasty things with this sort of input such as compress so much that the dynamics and tone are lost. There are of course exceptions to this (and almost every) rule like Coreybox said. It's interesting that he uses those pedals as a base part of his tone, like and amp. That's very cool and pedals like the Klon that can handle an exceptionaly high input will do this, but again I prefer the klon punching into my highe od pedals. It's litteraly whatever works for you, but I do find low gain OD to high gain DIST a good place to start.
    Best thing is to try every concievable combination and see what sounds best to your ears. There is no right or wrong
    ;)

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Do you ever run the SCOD as your dirty sound and then stomp on the Timmy for leads? It would seem that using the SCOD for your main dirty sound and then into the Timmy would allow some great boosting options. I like how the Timmy gives you the opportunity to add volume, grit and EQ for solos, choruses, etc.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

same here!