Best od pedal for a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by J Purcell, Nov 6, 2005.

1. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I need some suggestions for an overdrive pedal that will work well with a Super Reverb. I need something that will give that smooth creamy sustain that we're all looking for.
    I'm using a Telecaster.
    I use the SR for gigging so I'm not looking for bedroom level overdrive.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    John

2. kingbee

kingbee Supporting Member

The other guitar player in the band I'm in uses the new version Barber Direct Drive with his Super Reverb. Sounds awesome!

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

D'oh! Wrong thread!

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For me, cranked Fenders seem to get too bassy, so something with a mid-boost seems like a good idea. I usually use a Klon into an old JRC4558 TS9.

5. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

Can't go wrong with a landgraff, it can get you exactly what you are looking for, it is a bit costly, but it is worth it. You can get about any overdrive tone you can ask for out of it. The zendrive also sounds really good, but not as creamy, very smooth, but not creamy if that makes any sense.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

clark gainster

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

+1

[​IMG]

8. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

My friend has a Vintage Super REverb. We tried so many pedals thru it and we both liked the handwired version of the Texas Two Step from Pedalworx.

9. cheesey

cheesey Member

i had a 1969 super reverb and the key to the magic tone was bass on 3 max . blackface mod also took away the farty bass.
    i used an mjm blues devil with great results.

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Right on.Strat, Vol 8 , treble 4, mids on 8, bass 3, bright switch on , MJM London Fuzz,Vox Wah,Blues Devil, TS9/808 mod, CE2, Digitech Delay, into Super. I also use a Weber Mass.

CT.:cool:

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

An 808 and a Klon were always ACE for me....

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have a '65 Super Reverb (NOT a re-issue). Here are a few tricks to getting OD pedals to sound good with it:

> Never run:
    - Treble above 6 (will cause pedal hiss to get obnoxious)
    - Mids above 7 (this is personal taste, but above 7 the tone gets too round, the sparkle gets lost - also leaves room for the mid-hump of TS type pedals, if that is your thing)
    - Bass above 2 (flab and fart, yuck! The SR actually has a ton of tight, thick, punchy bass with the bass control at "0" - it just needs different speakers to bring it out - (see below)

> Have no fear of running the volume at 10 (rolling back your guitar volume will allow the amp to clean up nicely, especially with single coil pick-ups). Use an attenuator to set your overall volume. I have had good results with a Scholz Power Soak and a THD Hotplate. Also, when you run the volume up to 10 it doesn't take much to take your tone over the top. This means you can run your OD's gain lower = less noise. With my amp on 10 I can play a county ballad just by running my guitar volume down, can play nice gritty leads with the guitar volume up, and can then use OD's to rock out. There is no reason you can't play a country song followed by a metal song and sound authentic doing both.

> Don't be afraid to experiment with different speaker configurations. Generally speaking, I prefer 12's (specifically 25 watt greenbacks). Your amp still sounds like a Fender, but it makes getting a "Marshally" sound easier to acheive. Never underestimate the importance of speakers to the overall sound you achieve! Note - a good quality 4 ohm transformer will sound great, and make the amp more speaker friendly (normal impedence for a SR is 2 ohms, which means you have to run four 8 ohm speakers (parallel - parallel). Also, attenuators sound alot better at the higher impedence in my experience).

> Now that you have the tone controls tamed, and are running at the higher impedence into a choice cabinet with the amp's volume set to "10", the majority of OD pedals will KILL running in front of your amp. The only OD that I couldn't get a great sound out of was a Crother Hotcake... go figure.

The Super Reverb (IMHO) is one of the finest platforms to show off your OD pedals available at any price. It has an incredible clean tone, a wonderful gritty lead tone, and can go far beyond what most players believe into metal territory (with the right OD!).

This turned out longer than I had planned, but what can I say, I LOVE my amp (if you think this is bad, ask me about my kids!) Hopefully these few suggestions will help.

The Gitpicker (ranting like the senile old man that he is)

13. kram21

kram21 Member

Voodoo lab sparkle drive,'Barber LTD,and Zendrive pedals with a Strat or Tele thru the SR sound T.A.[totally awesome}

14. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I like the way my Super sounds with a Fulldrive II. The comp-cut mode works really well with the amp cranked too. Though my fave Super Reverb tone is to plug straight in and dime that bad boy. :dude

15. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions and tips. Looks like I'll need to start cruising the Pedal Emporium to pick up a couple of different od's to try out.
    John

16. AL30

AL30 Member

Nobels ODR-1. Fantastic OD, very transparent and won't break the bank - around $55 I think. Most definitely a sleeper. I've run them in front of bassmans and twins.

AL