Best OD Pedal for DRRI?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StratDB, Jan 25, 2008.

1. StratDB

StratDB Member

I have a DRRI and find that my OD's sound very fizzy. I have JJ tubes and a Tone Tubby Ceramic for a speaker.

Any suggestions on a good OD match for the DDRI? I mostly stick to blues and classic rock.

2. 4styx

4styx Member

I'd suggest a Mullard reissue12AX-7(in the amp,V1)first.Gotta get that amp sounding good!

3. doublee

doublee Member

Doesnt V1 only matter if he ( or she) is using the Normal, boring channel?

4. StratDB

StratDB Member

I almost always use the vibrato channel. Also, I haven't modded the thing at all - bright cap still in place.

5. 4styx

4styx Member

The user reviews at Harmony Central are full of info on getting the most out of that amp.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

lets just say eternity and call it a day.

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Ive had good luck with .. Rat, Ts , OCD , Direct Drive . actually never met a pedal that didnt like a DR

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Pre amp tubes have a big affect on tone. The new Tung Sol 12ax7 sounds great in Fender amps. Put one in V2 and V4 and get a TS808 reissue or, if you want to wait about 2 years, get on the list for an Analogman King of Tone IV.

9. brianf

brianf Member

Exactly what I was going to say. The DRRI takes anything thrown at it.

Believe it or not I like to use a 40.00 Boss DS1 with it.

I turn the gain right off the DS1 and have the tone just past 12:00. Killer Keith Richards tone.

brianf

10. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Also... I'm not sure how broken in your speaker is, but that had a lot of impact on making my OD pedals sound fizzy and horrible. It really took a couple of months of regular playing to get my eminence cannabis rex broken in nicely, then the OD/distortion pedals sounded great again with my Deluxe.

That said... check out the MI Audio pedals. The blue boy deluxe has a lot of knobs to help dial in the tone with almost any amp. I also like the Boss OD3 with a DR.

11. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

i've got a '68 deluxe reverb and my fulltone fulldrive 2 makes it sound wonderful. you can dial in as much overdrive as you want and it doesn't color your tone. plus the boost feature comes in handy.

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

I use:
    HAO Rumble Mod
    Maxon OD 820

13. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

Don't forget to crank the amp to 4 or 5.;)

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

15. auffredou

auffredou Member

I could write a book on this, Ive been struggling ever since I bought it to get the right sounds.

Just a couple quick things Ive discovered:

-It sounds better the more you play and break it in
    -From what I can tell, the fizz varies amp to amp. There was a problem with mine, and they shipped me a new one that has next to no fizz with the stock speaker. (although I ordered a cannabis rex when i still had the old one, so Im going to see how that sounds anyway)
    -Even with the one that had the fizz, I find that certain pedals tend to work much better. My TS9 with the silver mod works better than the stock, and with the TIM I just got after it (maybe because of the EQ), it sounds even better.

16. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I played mine with yellow jackets & el-84s and loved the result.
    It really liked the Keeley modded blues driver for "just breaking up" O/D
    A tube screamer and a strat and it gets into Texas blues territory.

17. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

That fizz you are hearing on the Vibrato channel is the C-10 bright cap. Now mind you, you really only hear that fizz on low volumes. So if you have your amp on 2, and are pushing some OD/Distortion through it, you're going to get that fizz. At higher volumes you don't hear it.

I had the same problem. Get that C-10 bright cap clipped. Only takes a minute or two and any amp tech worth his salt know what it is and can do it for you. Get the amp biased properly as well. You have good tubes, and don't have to swap speakers. I went a little further, and took the V1 tube out completely, making the normal channel unusable. The Vibrato channel opened up, was louder, sweeter and had a little more gain.

The DRRI is one of the most pedal friendly amps out there. Just about any OD sounds great through it. Find a sound you like, find the pedal and try it:AOK

18. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

+1 on cutting the bright cap. What are you currently using for overdrive? I personally prefer a smoother sounding pedal like the Jetter Gain Stage Red with this amp. I play a tele w/Fralins and have a Cannabis Rex in my DRRI which might be similar to your Tone Tubby.

19. StratDB

StratDB Member

Right now I have Monte Allums H2O Blues Driver, OCD, GoudieFx 808+, and a FD2 in the mail (been waiting almost 2 months for it - F*%& eBay seller!!). They all sound pretty good for mild break up but when I turn the gain up a little bit they all get fizzy. I may just have to clip the bright cap.

I get the best sound when I have the amp on 4 and turn the volume down to about 8 on my strat.

I may just have to clip that bright cap. One question though. I tried out the normal channel and found the tone very dull. I'm just wondering if clipping the bright cap on the Vibrato channel will dull the sound too much...??

20. 89strat

89strat Member

I use a drri, no mod's, cutting the bright cap, or whatever, just straight out of the box. I currently use an OCD and a Sparkle drive. Both sound great. I've also used everything else. They all sound great through the amp. I play through input 1, treble and bass at noon, vibrato channel, home, in the studio, low volume, high volume, gigging volume, with the band, withougt the band, and I've used Rats, tube screamers, Jekyll and Hyde, direct drive, fulltone stuff, just a ton of different pedals, and although I've had my issues with the pedals, the amp just always took to them well.

But some observations;
    1. Not raising the volume on that amp is like owning a ferrari but not going past 50mph.
    2. The amp really opened up after about a couple of weeks of use.
    3. At lower volumes, pedals with some compression to them sound great, such as tube screamers, direct drive, Rats, or the OCD. Things like that.
    4. After going through a tone of pedals with my other amps I find that the overdrives I didn't like before, sound great with the DRRI. It's just a great all around amp.