best of the tabletop recording studios?

I've always been interested in getting sometying like a Rascal Portastudio or Boss BR600/800 etc. But there are a bunch of brands that make them. I trust Boss, but I don't wanna miss out if I should be looking at other brands/models. What have you used with good results? Thanks!

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Platinum Supporting Member
Zoom R8 user here, love every part of it. The manual is almost 200 pages long...it has a LOT of features and delivers respectable recordings. The built in mics aren't half bad either. I recently did some recordings with my amp, which has a really nice direct output. One direct out into one channel, mic active on the other...blend to taste. Awesome.

Don't forget the drum loops and sequencer built right in...

jelloman

I have, and still use, the Zoom MRS8...good presets, drum loops and mastering suite, drum pads for adding fills...

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I like the Tascam gear personally. IMHO the easiest to use. Get a built in CD burner with it so you don't have to f..k around with a computer.

I like the Tascam gear personally. IMHO the easiest to use. Get a built in CD burner with it so you don't have to f..k around with a computer.
I liked that too about the Tascam and Boss ones. Have not looked into the Zoom so I don't know if they have that feature, but I like it...any Tascam models you recommend?

I'll definitely be looking into the Zoom products now, thanks guys!

No one's tried any Boss ones?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I liked that too about the Tascam and Boss ones. Have not looked into the Zoom so I don't know if they have that feature, but I like it...any Tascam models you recommend?

I'll definitely be looking into the Zoom products now, thanks guys!

No one's tried any Boss ones?
The current line that Tascam makes.. the 24 track version is like $600 with the built in CD burner..

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Boss BR900 and BR1600...pretty sure they are both discontinued and like both a lot. Big plus is that you can use them right away without reading the (very long) manual and then dive deeper into their functionality later. There are tutorial DVDs available too

RustyAxe

I've owned Boss, and now Tascam DP-24. I MUCH prefer the Tascam. It records direct to WAV (no conversions necessary when moving to a DAW), writes to SD cards (no moving parts!), has all the functions I need and want, the color screen is great, and it works just like I expect it to. I have no issues with the preamps ... they do what they're supposed to do. That said, I usually use outboard preamps and compressors, but the internal ones are just fine.

jonnytexas

I would make sure that the one you get can be used as an interface to a computer, should you ever want to go that route in the future

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I checked out, meaning I own but need to sell after deciding.....Boss1180CD, Boss900CD(1gb compact flash), and Tascam 2488 neo and ended up with a DP-24 that needs the CD-R/RW replaced. The Dp-24 is a breeze to use(after the training video!). I got great deals on the ones I will be selling so may sell them here instead of cl. I buy things sometimes that need a little work to make like new again, but it affords me the time to decide which brand I want. The coolest thing about the 900 is the drum machine.

PS- I took the Dp-24 apart, reseated the power to the cd-rom and it works fine!!!!

Last edited:

NashSG

I've used the Tascam Digital Portastudios for a few years. I mix on the PC transferring the files via USB. The mixer setup on the recorder is one of the easier to use. It's quick to be able to setup to record. I think you get better results having a bit of external equipment to track like a mixing board to help set your levels and drive the microphones. The preamps are functional for the price of the unit, but they are marginal in quality.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
^^^^If that were the case, you should be able to pick out the Tascam mix/master from a blind test?

Ephi82

I've owned Boss, and now Tascam DP-24. I MUCH prefer the Tascam. It records direct to WAV (no conversions necessary when moving to a DAW), writes to SD cards (no moving parts!), has all the functions I need and want, the color screen is great, and it works just like I expect it to. I have no issues with the preamps ... they do what they're supposed to do. That said, I usually use outboard preamps and compressors, but the internal ones are just fine.
Longggggg time user of TASCAM.

The 2488 and 2499 NEO 24 track machines can be picked up for a bargain these days used and are very capable. I will say a nice outboard pre amp and compressor will get your recording sound into a pro level.

The DP24 seems to follow that quality and as said, you can move stuff around with memory cards etc.

If you go this way I strongly suggest two things: 1) buy the DVD that instructs how to use the product. They are made for ease of use, but you still need more than the manual to really get the full capability of the system 2) There is a very active TASCAM users forum that is invaluable
to folks who are using these products.

Its really amazing how much recording capability you can get for $400-$500 these days

Trending Topics