"Best offer" deals

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone_Terrific, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I made an offer to a local seller based on a local online ad. No response.
    A followup indicating that my offer was negotiable depending on actual condition after viewing was sent. No response.

I have seen ads stating the seller would not respond to low-ball offers.

It is the seller's option to respond or not but IMO listing as 'best offer' implies that the item is truly for sale and offers are being gathered over a short period of time and the seller actually WANTS to sell the item and will sell to the best offer. At least respond to all contacts. Let's do business.

If you are just testing the market you are wasting my time.:horse

2. jkbird59

jkbird59 Member

i offered 500 for a 750 or 'best offer' listing on craigs list the seller responded with - 500 for the guitar 250 shipping thanks

3. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

How much less than the asking price did you offer?

Could it be that someone else offered more than you and he just went with the "best offer"?

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A) there was no asking price
    B) the item remains as listed

I suspect it was listed in the.... "I wish someone would come along and offer me more than I paid for this even though it is currently available as new"...category

5. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

You have to use a little diplomacy and sense when you make best offers. I sell a lot on the Bay. I never price my stuff unreasonably high. In fact I research what comparable items have gone for and usually put a Buy It Now price LOWER than the items that are on the bottom end of the scale. I do this because I like to sell quickly and not have to mess with endless questions from tire kickers. I do not ask for offers but 9 times out of 10 I get them anyway. I'm always amazed that folks want to insult my integrity by offering $300 for a guitar or amp that is easily worth $600. This type of offer is just a time waster for both parties. All it does is piss me off! If they would get real and make a REASONABLE offer I might be agreeable. I suspect these people do it a lot and sometimes they find a hard up seller and get lucky.

I know that what you are talking about and what I am talking about are apples and oranges but the strategy is the same. The seller should have used the term "reasonable offer" instead of "best offer" because I imagine that is what he really meant.;)

6. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

I kinda see where you are coming from but doesn't 'or best offer' assume you are open to anything? I mean why even say or best offer unless you assume there is little interest in it. I guess on ebay it is there so that the auction doesn't have to drag on and on for days if someone is willing to pay close to the BIN price but I agree with the original poster that it is a confusion in wordage.

7. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I always interpret "Best Offer" ads to mean best reasonable offer.

What is a reasonable offer is subject to opnion.

They may be willing to budge $50 or even $200, but don't expect them to respond if the best offer is $500 for a $3000 guitar.

IMHO of course.

:munch

8. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

See that 500 for the guitar 250 for the shipping- thats crapola...

That attitude for me anyways just screams ok this guy doesnt care if he sells the item or not, at that point I walk away because theres always 150 more just like it especially in guitar or pedal land, and I'd rather give my money to someone who gives a hoot or at least says No thank you..

9. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Member

Maybe the seller is just waiting for all the offers to come in and then going to respond to the person with the best offer?

10. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I had a LP on ebay a while back for $2300 or best offer...someone offered me $25 dollars. When I didnt respond, he contacted me again, and asked me why if I wasn't able to sell the guitar would I not accept the $25 dollar offer. Some people are simply hopeless.

11. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I do work for 2 local music stores maintaining their websites, they're both so guilty of this, at the moment 1 of the shops is trying to get $1350 for a USA Strat from 2000 (no case...) I said why dont you just close shop now with business tatics such as this because at this rate of stupidity you'll be out of business in 6-12 months!!! They laugh!
    and there response - "It will sell youll see!" HAHAH..

Then again they've had this strat for almost 16 months and not a sole has emailed about it off the site..

then I get the laugh when it sells for $875 on ebay..

12. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

+1 My point exactly! Bottom line is the seller does not have to sell it for the best offer if he does not want to. I will budge a little on some of my prices and I am courteous when I decline an offer so long as it is not some ridiculous BS like $25 for a $2000 guitar. I have it happen all the time. I'll bet some of the posters above that do not agree would see things in a different light if the shoe was on the other foot. BTW I am not bashing the person who started this thread. He was wondering and I am giving insight on my experiences.

13. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

When I sell something with a BIN or best offer on eBay, I generally use the option that allows you to automatically decline offers under a certain amount. For instance, if I am asking $1000, I might automatically decline offers below $800. It is interesting to see bidder reaction when their $150 offer is swiftly declined. It sends a message that I am not interested in dealing with bottom feeders.

When I get a reasonable offer, I also look at the feedback profile of the bidder. If it's good, then I am more likely to accept the offer because there is less chance of hassle after the sale.

All this said, I try to price my stuff fairly to begin with. The best offer option just gives everyone a bit of flexibility.

14. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I did not know they had an automatic decliner like that for best offers. I wish they had on for unsolicited offers sometimes!

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

It's a fairly new thing. You can also tell it to automatically accept offers OVER a certain amount too, though I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

16. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I recently received an offer for an item I listed OBO. I felt the offer was too low and thanked the potential buyer for his interest but stated his offer was not acceptable.

In short, my take on this is respond, be polite, make a counter offer if the offer was anywhere within the realm of reason but don't just ignore it. That's just rude, IMO.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I am primarily a buy at the store type or person to person cash transaction buyer. When the term 'best offer' is used my understanding is that the item will be sold for the best offer, like an auction, I know I said this already.

I did not understand 'make an offer and maybe I'll consider it' was the normal process for so many. Big diff, IMO.

18. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

That's awesome. I am SO using that the next time I get lowballed.

19. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

I see what you guys are saying but I would never BIN when there is a "Best Offer" option on ebay. That tells buyers your BIN is not firm...which to me makes the BIN useless. Furthermore, If you use the best offer, IMHO you should be willing to budge at least $50 from your asking price, anything less than that is ridiculous b/c not many people are gonna bother giving you an offer less than $50 off the asking price.

This may sting a little, but nothing these days is fair. Plain and simple if you ask for a best offer be willing to take the 'good with the bad'....no sense in telling people how offended you are with their lowball...simply reject the offer or use the filter stated above.

If this is really a big deal, then write to Ebay and ask them to change it to 'Reasonable Offer". All I am saying is that when people read "best Offer" they assume you are going to actually sell it to the person who eventually bids the highest...even if that turns out to be $300 for a $1000 guitar....that's just how the mass population thinks.