Best option for National slot head tuner replacement?

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I have a National El Trovador that I really like (thanks wopr!), but I'd like to upgrade the tuners. Its a 3 on a plate slot head style stock (probably inexpensive Gotoh). National offers a $70 set of tuners (that may be the same as the Stew Mac Golden Age ones, not sure). Obviously Waverly would be a consideration, but $200 for a set of tuners seems a bit much. Anything that would fit this guitar that is a direct drop in replacement that would be close to Waverly without the high price tag? Any reviews of the National or Stew Mac $70 tuners? If there isn't anything 80% as good as Waverly at half the price I may just have to bite the bullet, but hoping someone has a good solution. I thought Gotoh might have something higher end, but can't seem to find it anywhere (I did find one set, but only available in a fancy gold, which wouldn't match this guitar).

DRS

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of the Stew Mac slot head tuners in my Larrivee SD 50. They fit well as far as the rollers though the screw holes didn't line up. I would go for the Stew Macs myself. They work great. feel almost as good as the Waverly tuners on my daughter's Martin.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
When you say "the screw holes didn't line up" I'm assuming you mean the screws you bolt the plates to the headstock with? Thats frustrating. If I have to drill new holes anyway, I might consider other options like the separate "not on a plate" types.

DRS

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, the holes that the little wood screws go into. Now, I have a Larrivee that came with proprietary tuners so the holes could be non-standard. They may line up for a vintage make like national. StewMAc has pretty detailed technical dwgs.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I'll start measuring and compare to the Stew Mac drawings. Maybe someone else has already done this on their National and could comment. Sounds like they're probably a definite upgrade from what I have. I wonder who makes these for them?

bluesdj

The Stew Mac 3-on-a-plate mounting holes do not line up with National installed tuner holes, but they work well and the 'beat-up' style look great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom