Best, or favorite 4x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

Just speaking about the cab itself, what is the best sounding type (usual caveats apply ie; personal taste, drivers, type of music, etc.)? What materials, construction techniques, dimensions, etc., seem to produce the best results? Avatar has a very reasonably priced 4x12...any downsides sonically to one of these? Is there a definite mojo to older Marshalls, or are the newer ones as good?

Just trying to get a feel for what people like and don't like in a 4x12 since I'm getting close to buying one.

2. Roe

Roe Member

for a classic marshall sound - a germino, vibroworld, or mojotone cab.
    for a slightly more modern sound better suited for metal and dropped tunings - bogner

the bogner is a little bit tighter and deader sounding than the marshall style cabs. The old marshall are a bit more resonant.

3. Colt

Colt Member

any old marshall w/ g12h's or g12m's....and I have a theory about loading one w/ blues.......

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

IMHO, nothing ever has touched my Bogner straight 412. I had it loaded with GH30's and V30's in an "X" pattern. Ahh.

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I had two Bogner straight 4X12's. One loaded with greenbacks and the other with a mix of vintages 30's and G12H30's.
    Bought a Mojotone straight 4X12 and sold both Bogners.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

1978 checkerboard Marshall 4 x 12 with pre rola G12H30`s , wished Id never sold it.

7. tone slave

tone slave Member

+1

mine is loaded with all G12H's. sounds incredible, totally annihilates newer marshall and boogie 412's, way more resonant. i've never tried a late 60's marshall or a mojotone, but if they're even more resonant than the bogner they must sound amazing.

8. Roe

Roe Member

could you explain why the mojo is better?

9. GMo

GMo Member

I'd also love to know what you liked about the mojo better.
    Thanks.:)

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The new THD 4x12 or a vintage Fane-loaded Hiwatt 4x12 - both awesome, both heavy!

11. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I didn't say the Mojotone was "better".
    The Bogner 4X12's are fine cabinets, I just happen to prefer the tone of the Mojo.
    To me the Mojotone is less beamy and more 3D. The highs and lows are more prominent and well defined.
    The Bogner's in comparison didn't sound as big or alive, however their strong point is a very sweet woody midrange.

12. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Dude!

Sounds like someone is getting ready to dress up a Bray modded Plexi!

When does that baby arrive?

:dude :dude :dude

13. telewacker

Hey Scott,

Thought you were in Tahiti??!!

Supposedly it'll ship tomorrow. The seller is moving kinda slow.

:mad:

14. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

My favorites for 4x12s are a Marshall basketweave, in either slant or straight. These cabs were made from about '68-'70 give or take. Most of the time I actually like my slant better, but here is a pic of my straight.

Marshall just released a new repro of these, but I have yet to play one. However a friend of mine just brought one home so I'll check it out soon and report back. I hope the repro ones are decent, as to be honest the vintage market has gone crazy with these cabs.

On tone:
    I think the thick grill of these cabs helps tame the high end. Also the low power speakers tend to have a nice feel that is anything but stiff. Great wood quality throughout. Metal handles that don't rattle like most plastic handle cabs. Great big woody tone with smooth highs.

Mine is a '68:

[​IMG]

15. e-z

e-z Member

+1 for the Hiwatt. Clear as a bell with tight bass. 'Tis a back breaker though.

16. telewacker

Ten years ago I had an old Sound City cab with Fanes that sounded awesome, but that thing was stupid heavy. I sold it to a recording studio when I moved across the country. Wonder if it was the same or similar to the Hiwatt?

17. Roe

Roe Member

+ 1 on a old hiwatt cab.
    I used a 70s hiwatt cab with 40w fanes and it had a much tighter bottom end than the jcm800 4x12s (g12t-75s). It sounded more defined and punchy for AC/DC stuff.

18. MARCO

MARCO Member

GEETARPICKER, that's a nice pic....total eye candy. How about the rear loaded Diezel's or Mojave 4x12s...how are those ??
    :confused: