Best Orange amp for a good Sludge/Doom tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tactical_Spork, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tactical_Spork

Tactical_Spork Member

I currently have a Fender Supersonic 60, and while I LOVE that amp, it isn't exactly ideal for sludge/doom.

What would be the best Orange model to look into for a nice tone for those genres? Something like Electric Wizard, Sleep, Iron Monkey, Eyehategod, etc.. A very feedback-y, sludgey, chunky sound.

Also, if there is a non-Orange amp that would be even better, please do recommend it!

2. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

A lot of those guys play through Sunn amps. I don't know enough about them to recommend a model, though.

As far as Orange, pretty much anything with a number of 30 or higher (AD-30, Thunderverb 50, etc) will probably get you where you need to go. I haven't been quite as impressed with their lower wattage amps, personally. They're probably good bang for the buck, but their "real" amps are where its at.

If you have the cash, you may want to look into Matamp, Green, etc. I haven't played through those, but my impression is that they're nicer -- but more expensive. I THINK those are handwired, while I THINK Orange has PCBs unless otherwise stated. Don't quote me on that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. Tamayo

Tamayo Member

Toss up between the Rockerverb and Thunderverb 50 watters. Or higher for that matter. I owned a RV50C for several years and that thing will tear you apart. Such a monstrous amp. Now the Thunderverb has a different voicing all together. YouTube them and you should get a good listen to what you're after. Good luck on your tone quest.

4. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I'd pick the Rockerverb myself, but the Thunderverb 200 is probably top choice for that genre. It'll handle the down-tuned drudgey riffs at chest crushing levels better than all the other Oranges.

5. Tactical_Spork

Tactical_Spork Member

How much would I be looking at for a lower-wattage Thunderverb, since I want to be able to get the distortion to sound nice with going deaf by the time I'm 30 >_>

Also, as far as Sunn amps, I've only ever seen them in vintage shops. What models should I look for, general price range, how hard to find, etc.?

6. Tactical_Spork

Tactical_Spork Member

Also, would the Thunderverb 50 give me a similar head-crushing crunch to the (ludicrously powerful) 200, just without leveling every building in a 1 mile radius, or would it have a different voicing altogether?

EDIT: One more thing... When it comes down to it, which amp, Rockerverb or Thunderverb, would provide the dirtier distortion, and ultimately get me closer to that "blimp full of cement" sound I'm looking for?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. Mudder

Mudder Member

Try an awesome fuzz through the clean side of your supersonic.

8. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

That's what immediately came to my mind as well.

9. oinkbanana

oinkbanana Member

I've got an OD120, OTR120 & TV200
    the TV200 is too modern sounding imho for sludge/doom
    the two others, both 90's models, are great for sludge/doom (which is what I play)
    I imagine the 50watter TV has the same voicing, so I'd avoid it.
    my bandmate has a RV50, but he mostly just plays leads, which it does nicely.
    From what's currently available I'd go for the OR50
    if you can track down a vintage OR120, hit that!

for "blimp full of cement" tone you've got to have the cabs.
    two 4X12 cabs at minimum. :messedup
    I like to go even more guttural, so I run an ampeg bass rig at the same time to really move air.
    pic
    & remember, at dumb deaf volumes you don't need a ton of distortion/fuzz because you'll get that from your speakers and your ear drums ripping a little. :) too much fuzz and you lose all definition, so I'm not shy to recommend a cleaner tone for dumb loud volumes.

10. memiller

memiller Member

For a much cheaper alternative look into the solid state Sunn amps. Beta lead is good (had one) but the Concert Lead has more low end (at least mine did). Beta Lead doesn't need any kind of pedals, but I used a clean boost in front of the Concert Lead. I miss that rig. Too much for an apartment dweller though.

11. leeandwhatnot

leeandwhatnot Member

i play in a sludge/doom band and use all sunn stuff. A model T with a good fuzz pedal (musket in my case) is all you need. You can usually find them for between $1200 to $1500. I have had mine for a few years now and have not even thought about replacing it.

[​IMG]

12. Beasleyboy

Beasleyboy Member

Matamp GT1, which is a GTL and GTO in one amp, is one of the best doom/sludge amps around. Also the GT120 is killer. As far as orange goes, the OR and OD series are what you should be looking at, something 100 watts or higher. The AD200's are also killer for sludge and doom...there's a custom shop hand wired version for sale on HC right now. If you can find one, Electric Amp Innovations makes some of the best amps for what you're looking for, but they're expensive and can take over a year to have one built. They are based on the Matamp GTL and GTO, so the GT1 is a more obtainable and affordable option if you're looking for that sound. Any sunn will work, and you can pick up some of the more obscure models on the cheap. The Laney Klipp is also a good amp that can be had for relatively cheap. Vintage Sound City and Hiwatt amps are killer too because they are loud, big, and clean but you would need to hit it with a fuzz pedal. Same goes for the Marshall Superbass which is also good for sludge and doom...I think the old model T is a hot rodded Superbass. Verellen makes a 300 watt monster which has a power amp based on the Ampeg SVT which can achieve good sludge tones. Really anything big, loud, and fuzzy. Loud, big, clean amps work well too as long as you hit it with a good fuzz pedal. I recommend getting in touch with Nick at Dunwich amps. He specializes in custom amps specifically for doom and sludge. His build quality is top notch and will build an amp with anything you can think up. I recommend going through Nick and getting a custom amp above anything else, his pricing is unreal for a hand wired custom amp. You would be looking at $1600-$2000 for loaded amp, which is what you would end up spending for a second hand orange, Matamp, or electric amp. Let me know if you have any other questions

13. lonniedarko

lonniedarko Member

If you want to have an actual Orange, look for and old OD120 or OTR120.

14. Beasleyboy

Beasleyboy Member

Also, join us in the HCFX Doom Room. Lot's of knowledge in there, it's always busy, and some builders post there too, including Nick from Dunwich

15. live-I-evil

live-I-evil Member

Hey Oink! Fancy seeing you here :beer

Well, I came here to say this. I've had both an OTR120 and a RV50 and 100, all great amps but the contemporary Orange sound is too modern for a good sludge tone and the cabs definitely help.

Hey Beasley! :beer

Was also going to mention quite a few points in here. Matamp has some awesome offerings as well but can be a little harder to find on this side of the pond. The OTR I had was actually Matamp made and I also had a Matamp LX, both fantastic amps. As it is now, however, I play through a 100 watt Hiwatt and use some pedals to get me there. Sunn Model T's, 200s, and 2000s, are great models as well. These and the Hiwatt/Sound City are primarily loud clean amps so on that note you might want to look out for the Ampeg V4's and VT-22's(Combo version of the V4) both of which are very versatile loud amps that have a great breakup sound. Nick at Dunwich will also build you any damn thing you want, right now he's building me a 200 watt(4 KT88s or 4 EL34's for 100 watts) amp with a power section hybrid of a Hiwatt 201/Ampeg V4/Vox AC100 that also has a blendable ef86 in the preamp -Marshall Major meets Vox cum Hiwatt. The prices are very reasonable and if you have a sound in your head, he will find it and make it reality.

And this was the last thing I was going to mention, come join us in the Doom Room over at the harmony central effects forum - a lot of cool people to help further your music/tone quest. :beer

16. live-I-evil

live-I-evil Member

Beautiful! Love that musket as well.

17. jojo

jojo Member

Lotsa good choices mentioned here. I have a RV 100 and OR 120 that do doom well. ( as does my model T and gto 120 ) Also, the TV 100 DOES do DOOM well. ( SEE ZOROASTER )

18. Tactical_Spork

Tactical_Spork Member

Alright, lotta replies! I'm so sick I can barely see straight, so sorry for half-assing this post...

1) Where do I find the Doom Room?

2) I've tried running my fuzz through the Supersonic, and it WAS decent, but I couldn't get that intense, chest crushing tone without losing waaay too much definition, and at higher distortion levels my Sovtek muff (black reissue model) got a bit too harsh and trebly. What would be a better fuzz for this?

3) Im completely new to the world of heads and cabs. I've only ever owned combos. That said, what's a great cab to look for that would get me even closer to the tone I'm looking for?

4) As far as the Sunns go, will I need a fuzz for it, or do I simply dime the bastard and let 'er rip? Can I get the distortion without turning it all the way up? Good cab for the Sunn amps?

5) OR120; how hard to find, and how much, because that thing sounds lovely. Also, good cab to run it through?

And finally, Dunwich; how much would I be looking at, and how long? (I am, after all, just an unemployed 16 year old trying to play pissed off sludge... money is not easy to come by)

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Had I brought this to another music forum I frequent, there's a good chance they would have just laughed at sludge/doom and said it all sounds the same... Anything that isn't 60s/70s "dad rock" or "butt rock" gets laughed at there... >_>

19. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Has anyone checked out the Hover Craft amps? They seem like they might be good doom machines on the cheap. It's a cool idea at least, rebuilding old amps to make new ones. I saw a review of a 90W model in Premier Guitar, I think it was called the Andromeda, might be worth checking out if you need some cheaper options.

20. Beasleyboy

Beasleyboy Member

The doom room is in the harmony central effects forum, it's always on the front page. As far as the fuzz goes there's lots of good choices. Good muff variants include the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh, Earthbound Audio Supercolider, Mountainking Electronics Megalith, Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss Musket, Earthquaker Devices Hoof, although there are many others. You could also try a RAT variant or fuzz face variant such as the D*A*M* Meathead, Dunwich FAC Off, or the Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper, and many others. Black Arts Toneworks has a lot of good offerings, such as The Ritual which is a tweaked Colorsound One Knob Fuzz. I think an amp more suited towards sludge/heavy fuzz will help tame the high end on your fuzz a bit. Some cabs I like are Orange Cabs, Emperor cabs, Sunn cabs, Electric Amp and Matamp cabs, but any cab built by a quality manufacturer with good speakers will work. Eminence Swamp Thangs and Wizards are good speaker choices. Hot 100s are good too, but there are dozens of speakers which will work well for doom so do some research. A Sunn model T has a lot of gain but if you want a real fuzzed out sound it's good to have atleast one good fuzz to use with it. I think with any amp you get, you're going to want atleast one good fuzz pedal to go with it if you're going for a real fuzzed out, sludge sound, as there's limitations to how fuzzed out amps can get. The Orange will probably run you about $1400-$2200 depending on the condition, model, and where you get it from. They aren't too difficult to find. As far as a Dunwich, I'm not sure what the current wait time is but I would contact Nick to find out and get a quote. He'll talk with you on what you're looking for as far as sound and features