Best Orange amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imonabuss, Jul 17, 2008.

1. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I have played a couple of Orange amps and was not at all impressed, although I did play one of the old ones years ago and loved it. But I know they have a wide range now, and I may have just played some of the weaker ones. Truly are there any that are outstanding? I am travelling and near a store that has quite a few, but I don't want to waste the store peoples' time jumping around and trying them all.

2. Keld

Keld Member

The Retro 50 and AD50 are newer designs based on the old style amps. The AD50 is supposed to be the more modern sounding of the two. Either way, they are great amps; the Retro 50 especially.

3. imonabuss

I play rock and blues, and use a Dr. Z and a Reinhardt, depending on the size of the place I play. Sounds like you guys like them all. I was hoping that maybe they had a low end line an a premium line. Maybe it's just me. The two I played were a Tiny Terror and some 50W amp. The Tiny Terror seemed to be pretty much one trick distortion amp, kinda like a little bit better Crate or something. I played the 50W whatever it was back to back with a Shiva and it was a huge difference in that the Orange was really bright and brittle, the Shiva way way better. They were all used though so who knows.

4. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Well, the Tiny Terror does the gain thing very well, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a one trick pony. I've found mine to be very responsive to my playing style and my guitar's volume pot. I don't use drive pedals, perfering to use my guitar's volume and playing style to go from clean to crunch, and it's perfect for that.

True enough, they don't have a lot of clean headroom, but with the gain and volume both around noon on the dial, and the guitar's volume rolled back, I can get a pretty good Voxy "hairy clean". This is especially true played though the right speaker.

And of course it has a good crunch sound that can be obtained at reasonable volumes.

Orange really doesn't have a budget line, unless you count the solid state "Crush" series. The Tiny Terror is the cheapest tube amp they have, and it's not really cheap.

Older Orange amps were more along the lines of Hiwatts, low to med gain, while some of the newer Oranges are going after a different, more modern, sound. Rockerverb 50's get a lot of praise, as does the AD30. It just depends on the sound you're after. I generally don't think of Orange amps as thin, harsh, or brittle at all, so maybe the 50 watter you played was due for a set of tubes?

Then again, if we didn't all have different ideas about tone, there would only be one amp maker!

5. imonabuss

That's true about different amps for different styles. I wish I had paid attention to which model I played before in 50 watts. Well, maybe I'll just go harass the dealer after all by trying a number of his amps. I'll start with the Rockerverb 50, as I love the Carr Slant6V with 4 6V6's, and I'm sure I saw that model among those at the dealer. I just happen to love the way Orange amps look, and have memories of some of the great players with theirs.

6. Figher53

Figher53 Member

If the 50 watter was a Rockerverb 50, that is very different from what the AD series sounds like. The AD series isn't the same as the old stuff, but it's closer than the newer Rocker 30 and 50. I had an AD30TC and loved it.

But anyway, the Shiva and the Orange amps are built to be very different anyway. The Shiva from what I understand is designed closer to the Fender and Marshall stuff (hence EL34's and 6L6's), and the Orange is brighter and chimy-er like the Vox stuff (mostly EL84's). They're not going to sound at all the same.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

perhaps a Mattamp might be in order?

dk

8. Keld

Keld Member

The Shiva is a great amp, but I bought the Retro 50 instead - more character IMHO (and definitely not brittle or bright).

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I bought a RV50, then I bought a Shiva because I had been wanting one for years. I sold the Shiva and kept the RV50. If I could afford both, I'de still have the Shiva though. But the RV50 is killer!

Bright and harsh?, not at all.

10. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

+1000000

Jamison sold me on the Rockerverb 50, and I've been happier with my tone in the last few days than I've ever been.

The cleans do leave a little to be desired, but with a little reverb or chorus they're just fine.

They don't really have that sparkle I like, though.

:jo

The DRIVE on the other hand is unreal. It's thick as can be, and the gain holds together so well.

:RoCkIn:RoCkIn:RoCkIn