1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Best Overdrive/Distortion in front of Fender Tweed Deluxe replica?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by judsonabts, May 15, 2011.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

Most of the time, the natural driven tone of the Fender Tweed Deluxe replica I use is perfect. However, when I want to get a little more sustain and not increase mud—I seem to be stuck.

Any ideas? Is this amp just not capable of a ripping marshal/vox driven sound?

2. erksin

erksin Member

Treble booster or something like the AstroTone Fuzz is what I would suggest. Don't use anything with a lot of bottom.

3. drjordan

drjordan Member

I only use OD pedals on mine...OCD (v3), Timmy, and Wampler Black '65. I don't think any of them are too muddy, but the latter 2 have bass controls, so you might like those best.

4. amp boy

amp boy Member

treble booster.
    Clark Gainster.

5. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I have built a few Tweed Deluxe clones and have used them with probably every overdrive Ive owned, a least the boutique ones since I've been a TGP addict, and the Himmelstrutz Fetto is my favorite with them. I also like them with the BJFE Honey Bee and WF Rat Reissue.

6. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Try a ProCo Rat....
    Always works well with Fenders in my experience

7. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I had a Turbo Rat (the one with the better chip) on there and I prob should put it back. I also have a super duper 2 in 1 that I maybe should keep on as well.

The timmy I currently have just turns to mud really..

Maybe I just need a second amp for overdrive. I wonder if there is a similar amp in size/weight that does more marshall/heavier tones

8. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I use a Bearfoot HB and Klone into a 5A3 Frenzel and is sounds incredible. Either pedal is great on their own or stacked.
    There is something magical about those simple Fender designs.

PRSAtomic likes this.
  9. erksin

erksin Member

I don't see how this is possible (I have one as well) - where are you running the Bass control? Don't be afraid to set that thing with the Bass at 3:00 or more - especially if you have the Gain turned up.

There are very few ODs I've owned that work as well with a tweed amp than the Timmy.

10. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I bet this will help —> bass tends to get flabby. So maybe cutting it with gain up will be the answer!

11. erksin

erksin Member

Paul says that to keep things tighter and less fizzy that the Bass and Treble controls should be set in the near vicinity of the Gain control.

I typically run mine with everything at about 2:00 - Volume included. That should sound pretty damn sweet into your Deluxe.

12. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

Ditto on the treble booster. The tweed is already dirty by itself. A treble booster would clean it up. I've used an MJM Phantom and Blues Devil (TS clones). The Klon just sounded farty with it, too. I gave up. Cool amp (tweed deluxe), but not enough headroom for me and the band.

Here's what I meant about the treble booster. (Starts around 3:05)

13. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I play a tweed deluxe everywhere, but it has to be mic'd. The little deluxe has some of the sweetest tweed tone there is (I think because it's one of only a couple that uses a 12" speaker??). But if you have to run it flat out, it is more of an artsy type distortion, not the commercial tight bottomed type that pop music likes. Mic it, control the volume, OD to taste, and lots of pedals work GREAT with the amp. Drive it too hard and they all turn to mud. I don't see how you could get any versatility from the amp without mic'ing it.

I get great results from Menatone pedals, Blackstones, Hot Cakes, Timmy's, fuzzes, etc. The amp does not have to be driven very hard to go completely nuts. And the amp LOVES a mix. Always sounds to loose alone. But in a mix it all turns to music. I love that amp.

The best thing you can do for a Deluxe clone is experiment with different speakers. The Deluxe is VERY sensitive to speakers. Don't let anyone tell you what the best speaker would be. You probably won't choose the same speaker they would. Speakers have a HUGE impact on the Deluxes tone and headroom and the choice is very subjective. I ended up loving a speaker that is not too popular a choice in tweed amps and I love it. Made it more pedal friendly to me and improved the tone and headroom. I get low points for authenticity now, but the tone brings tears to my eyes.

I grab my Deluxe and pedals for everything I do. Used to think I needed a "loud" amp for the rare un-mic'd gig, but I think I might just need two Deluxes? If I can keep the amp in its comfortible non-farting range (how ever small that range is), I can do anything I need to with a tweed deluxe and pedals. Jazz, country, rock, anything.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I have a Frenzel 5E3 Deluxe clone, its got 50w under the hood, its awesome.
    My favorite OD has been the Zendrive or maybe the Paisley drive.
    Such a good amp.

15. Chas

Chas Member

The only pedal I would ever put in front of my Tweed 5e3 is a treble boost. That is if I was playing out still. When I need dirt and bedroom level volume I use a Formula #5 in front of the Tweed. I have an OCD too but to my ears it colors the sound. At least with the #5 it is replicating what it is in front of in the first place. Man I just confused myself..........

16. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I like a KoT with the treble turned up just a hair on the boost side as well as a HBOD in front of my 5e3

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Treble boost or Hotcake kill with a Tweed Deluxe

My fave treble boosts with it are the DAM Red Rooster and the Creepy Fingers Sugarboost

18. nickyjoe

nickyjoe Member

19. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

Treble boost, SHO/Super Duper work well. I like my MK1.5 also just not wide open on the fuzz

20. Teleuride

Teleuride Supporting Member

I have tried many different types of pedals and boosts in front of my Tweed... and suprisingly enough, I have taken to the Seymour Duncan pick-up booster pedal to do the the job. I found that a lot of these said pedals(boosts) make the amp sound too muddy with no definition... The Seymour Duncan pedal can boost your signal from 6db to 25 db with some clarity...