Best overdrive for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AqueousView11, Jun 1, 2008.

1. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

First off, I know there is a bass gear section, but it gets hardly any hits at all. My question is what pedals do you think would be the best for a bass overdrive, meaning they don't cut the lows, not just that you can boost the lows. The pedals don't have to specifically for bass, but can be. I am looking for a pedal in the low to mid gain range. The other reason I asked a question in this forum is the wealth of knowledge on boutique overdrives, whereas in the bass forum almost everyone recommends the Sansamp, which I don't want. Thanks!

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im using a Silverkiss MK1. Awesome od that sits well for bass, and Ive tried a few of the more popular ones out there including the fulltone bassdrive. Best one Ive tried as of yet for bass. Its my Timmy for bass.

3. charmboy

charmboy Member

My wife uses an Analogman Peppermint Fuzz on her bass and it sounds amazing! She was using a EH Big Muff (NYC ReIss and Russian Green) for a while which has great thick sounds and lots of low end, but can lack definition a bit. The Peppermint Fuzz excels in that respect. The key is to crank the "buzz" knob all the way up to retain the bottom end. I'm not sure if Mike realizes how effective this is for bass as he really could market it in that direction a bit on his site; although I did send him an email praising it's bass functionality soon after trying it out.

Staying with Analogman, he also does a version of the Beano Boost tuned for bass. I'd imagine this sounds great because I've tried bass through the full range setting on the Beano side of my SunLion and it sounds fantastic. Gets more of a gritty distortion this way; that setting together with the fuzz side of the SunLion is pretty amazing with bass as well!

Having said all that, the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi is a great inexpensive and easy to find solution for bass. There are a few different flavors but when it comes down to at, they all sound pretty good and are very easy to dial in. EH Double Muff is also quite useful because you can have two different switchable degrees of dirt on hand. Of course this is all based on my ears and the limited things I've heard.

4. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am looking for more of an overdrive, not a fuzz. But when I do look at fuzzes, I will take the Peppermint Fuzz into consideration.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge Member

Fulltone Bass-Drive, that's what I'm using these days.

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

Haha, yeah, I just reread your post after my exceedingly long reply and realized I missed the low to medium gain part... Sorry.

In that case, forget the fuzz talk, but the bass tuned Beano, or even any full range germanium boost should really get you there.

7. KBN

KBN Member

A housemate of mine uses a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet. He tried the bassdrive and it didn't really do it. The fulldrive sounds great.

8. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

That's interesting that he didn't like the Bass-Drive but likes the Full-Drive.

9. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Any recommendations for a full range germanium boost?

10. KBN

KBN Member

Yeah, everyone in the house is a musician and we all agreed with him. He plays a plethora of basses through an ashdown head and an old ampeg 8x10. Sounded better with all the basses. I think he tried 2 different bassdrives just to make sure that the first one wasn't defective. We were all kind of surprised. Not sure what modes he is using on the FD2 mosfet.

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A friend of mine loves the EBS line. They are voiced for a bass.
    I know pedalgeek caries them.

12. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Any characteristics that set it apart from the Bass-Drive?

13. vinceman

vinceman Member

the bass player in my band uses a Yamaha DG stomp, and I have to say it's the best OD I've hear for a bass : no extra mids where you don't wnad them, preserved bass freq, and great tone ! Plus the FX are nice if you need them (the flanger works great with bass).

Here's the link to his myspace page, where you can hear his bass with the DG :

http://www.myspace.com/didierthery

14. KBN

KBN Member

The bass drive seemed to muddy up the tone and the boost on the Fulldrive2 was way more usable. I'm not saying not to try the bassdrive, but make sure and try the Fulldrive2 as well.

15. charmboy

charmboy Member

The only one I've tried is the Analog Man Beano which sounds fantastic. I use it on guitar mostly in the treble or midrange settings, but when we ran it through my wife's rig (50's p-bass reissue and 1980 rick through ampeg v4) on the full range setting, it sounded amazing. Lots of usable grit!

check out:
    http://analogman.com/beano.htm

If you go about 1/3 of the way down the page, there's a video of Mike playing bass through a regular Beano on the low (full range) setting. There's also a description on that page of a bass beano he built for Tony Levin and that he can build them to those specs upon request.

Hope that helps!

16. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Not a bass player, but the bass player in our band uses a Barber Direct Drive on his board and it sounds awesome! He also has a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster for times when he is doing bass runs/bass lead work.

17. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

18. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

bump for a few more opinions

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the fulltone bassdrive is great and for many bass players, the standard. has the fullest sounding low end that stays fat and big in any mix. the fulldrive guts the low end, and becomes all midrange, which is crappy.

ebs' multidrive is great. has a similar tone to the bassdrive w/ its regular setting, but the "tube" setting is quite good for that SVT cranked to high heaven sound.

for a big buzzy fuzz "larry graham" kind of sound, prescription elec. depth charge is great for giving you a thick super buzzy kind of fuzz. another killer bass fuzz is frantone's bass sweet. and my current fav is the B:ass master. right back to the '70s.

another fav is xotic's bass preamp which has a great thick overdriven kind of thing that really stays thick and fat. not quite as tubey like the ebs or the bassdrive, but not too shabby.

but to be honest, on my board at the moment is sansamp's para driver DI. the midrange control allows you a buzzy fizzy kind of OD to a more thicker lower middy kick. supremely versatile and sounds terrific.

course, you could always try the effects forum at talkbass:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=36

20. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

A few that I like: Hot Cake (any version), Colorsound Overdriver (or clones), Prunes and Custard (does more than just weird fuzz), Lovetone Brown Source (really low gain, but dark and warm), EH Graphic Fuzz (it's overdrive, not fuzz, and has lotsa sounds in it)