Best Overdrive For Clear Chords

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Complex chords are my thing! Well at least in the band I play in…
I play bari, 12, and guitar, and I’m always on the hunt for just wide open drive that is nice and fat, but doesn’t mask the sound of my notes. Anyway. I think an eq would help, I use a condor, especially on bari, but anything will work I spose. For drives, it’s a deco and a lovepedal super 6 ghost. Work great by themselves but stackable too. Klon works too, but who wants to gig with that lol.

daizee

The new EQD Special Cranker ($99) is worth looking at. It’s pretty neutral and open.

You might want to combine it with one of your other pedals if you want a certain flavor.

-bEn r.

Yes indeed. I'm using it with my archtop w/ a neck P90 and riding the guitar volume to get where I want to be (Ge mode). It's a bit tough to stack because it preserves so much bottom end, so I'd pair it with something that trims that a bit.

Good w/ the single-coils and humbuckers too, but prefer the Si mode with those.

John Dell

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa pedals- the sleeper pedals that do what they are supposed to do. I use a Tone Burst for either a slight volume increase or light OD while retaining clarity. Also have a Flux Drive that'll do the same things but has more gain available.

Podicle

Silver Supporting Member
I think the nature of these threads is that eventually everything will be mentioned!
I have three pedals that immediately come to mind. Two have already been mentioned (Sparkledrive and Timmy) so I'll spruik for the third and my favourite, the Thorpy Peacekeeper. This is a low-gain drive with really nice eq options, including a pre-drive presence/mid knob. It sounds stunning through a nice clean amp (I'm using a Tone King Imperial II) and perfectly covers the range I want from slight warmth to crunch, and with absolute note separation.

I have 5 or 6 Thorpy pedals and each is the best version of what it's trying to do that I own (in a stable of many pedals).

Riffa

WH Saucy Box or BF Arctic White for me. If you need more gain with clarity, though, I'd suggest the Boss DA-2. Excellent note separation with lots of gain.

bobbythegoose

I'd suggest a Keeley Super Phat Mod which is a Blues Driver. Run the gain around 9 o'clock. One of my favorites after a long search.

This is a tough one and I know I will get many opinions. I have been rocking since the 60’s still rocking. Have bought and sold countless Overdrive pedals, too many to mention all. Looking for that elusive pedal that will not be too Over the top Overdriven (Distorted) for Classic Rock 60’s/70’s mostly. Here is what I have presently:
Timmy Mini, Tumnus Mini, Flumes, Hotone Blues. I use Strats. Also would like to use these pedals for lead. Or if you can recommend others. Mini is preferable. Or if you can suggest how to set up these pedal effectively. I use a Quilter Pro Block 200 into a 12 inch DV Mark Cab. Thanks

pinestate

Listened to the Special Cranker on YouTube. It sounds like a distortion pedal. Do you agree?
I have one and it sounds (to me) like exactly what you’re looking for. Especially with the lowest “more” setting it’s just a slightly grittier representation of your clean tone. I particularly love these settings with the silicon side: Volume: 1-2 o’clock, more: 7 o’clock, tone: to taste but I like it at 12-1 o’clock. If I want clear, slightly gritty tone with a cleaner amp this is my go-to pedal.

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member

Best Overdrive For Clear Chords

... Looking for that elusive pedal that will not be too Over the top Overdriven (Distorted) for Classic Rock 60’s/70’s mostly...Mini is preferable... Looking for Grit but with Clarity and not distortion territory.
...don’t get the zendrive no matter what anyone says.
Funny, I've got an original Zendrive that I've always used at the end of the chain for low gain clarity. My milage must vary.
I think the nature of these threads is that eventually everything will be mentioned!
Yes, it's no fun until everything is recommended. So to contribute, here's my offering:
Blackstone Mosfet OD

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.39.23 AM.png
It's been my 'secret sauce-under the radar' pedal for close to two decades. IMHO, it is NOT for those who must dial in their sound in 5 minutes or less. It's deceivingly versatile and customizable. There, I said it again.

MXR distortion +. Little yellow box that I’ve been using for decades (and you can still get them new) anything from a little edgy to full out distortion. Has a volume knob too so easy kick it up when going for a lead break. FYI I use a Twin and a strat or Tele. That’s my rig.

borducks

Not a mini but try a Boss OD1X. That MDP stuff really works for what you are looking for.
This. I picked up an OD1X for exactly this reason — I wanted to be able to play closer intervals clearly with some drive but avoid the mush. Now it’s my main low to medium overdrive. It’s so good.

goodguy2k2k

Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop.
Transparent OD but with a "sag" control which can go from clean boost to complete tweed speaker destruction tones. Very musical. No real good demos online.

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had good luck with the walrus ages which has a clean blend and the Foxrox fr-100 which maintains clarity at all gain levels.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom