Best Overdrive for Vox AC10c1

taybutcher

I just bought an AC10c1, the sweetwater exclusive one with the greenback speaker. What is the best sounding overdrive that would mesh well with this amp? Preferably costs under 250 dollars and a drive + boost.

Last edited:

chillybilly

I have an AC15C1...I changed from a Greenback to a Blue but with either speaker I thought the OCD v4 did well and for lesser gain the Timmy. I just got an Archer Ikon but haven't tested the Ikon extensively yet. I never thought I would use the term 'transparent' but if the objective is to keep that Vox flavor then a transparent overdrive combined with judicious use of the gain/master volume on the amp should be the means.

taybutcher

I have an AC15C1...I changed from a Greenback to a Blue but with either speaker I thought the OCD v4 did well and for lesser gain the Timmy. I just got an Archer Ikon but haven't tested the Ikon extensively yet. I never thought I would use the term 'transparent' but if the objective is to keep that Vox flavor then a transparent overdrive combined with judicious use of the gain/master volume on the amp should be the means.
Thanks for the reply, I have never owned an all tube Vox, I'm anxious to try out the amp's natural overdrive as you mentioned. Right now I have a hybrid Vox valvetronix using an old Boss Os-2. I'd like to venture into buying like one upper end/boutique overdrive to top off the new setup.

taybutcher

Has anyone here ever used a BearFoot Sparkling Yellow Overdrive or a Bogner Ecstasy Blue with a Vox AC amp? A couple of my friends were recommending those as overall great pedals. I'd have to go used on those if I were to get one though.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I have an AC10C1 and, hands down, my favorite OD pedal with it is the JHS Ruby Red. It's a Thunderbolt OD on one side and a boost on the other. The pedal allows you to switch to boost from in front of the OD (where it provides more gain) to after (where it provides a jump in volume, but not more gain). Through the AC10 it sounds glorious, without covering up or muddying the essential Vox sound. It's a killer combo! :)

P.S. The AC10's native breakup is pretty awesome in its own right. It does not truly NEED an OD pedal to get some really great Vox grind. That having been said, despite the fact that the Ruby Red is not an inherently "transparent" OD, with the AC10 it really does feel like a "more" pedal, enhancing the already killer sound of the AC10 and taking from a 10 to an 11. :)

Adamfo85

I have had an ac-30 for a few years and I just picked up an ac10 about a week ago. I would agree with LordByron in the fact that the overdrive on the ac10 is pretty awesome by itself. Couple of pedals I have used for awhile are the full drive 2 mosfet and the Timmy. Every now and then I'll throw in the expandora.

SurfGreenTele

I bet this would kill through it!

cadh_big.jpg

StormJH1

I've owned one since the summer of 2015 and tried a variety of OD's, while taking the chance to read any threads that come up on the topic (like this one). My conclusions from this nerdery are as follows:

• The AC10C1, like many amps is a touch on finnicky side when it comes to taking pedals. My personal theory on this is that Top Boost-style circuits are never really totally clean - they just happen to have an upper end brilliance to them on lower drive levels that shines through like a clean, uncompressed tone would, but with more beautiful tube-like sustain and saturation. That what I love so much about Vox tone, but it also means that any pedal you place in front of it (especially one that pushes that in any way) is basically "drive-upon-drive". Lots of gain pedals will work, but they'll take on that Vox character because that's the last thing in the chain and it clean reference tone like you might get from a Fender Twin on "4" or something.
  • Soft clipping overdrives will perform much better on the AC10C1 than hard-clipping distortions. My Wampler Pinnacle hates the AC10C1, and that's a great pedal other amps I've tried.
  • Tubescreamers, OCD, and the Timmy are examples of overdrives that work pretty well with the amp
  • I'm no Klon expert, but I have about three different clones of them right now (Soul Food, Mojo Hand Sacred Cow, and a budget Chinese one from XinSound), and it's just not a great fit. Less because the style of clipping and more because it boosts some of the upper ranges on a Vox that doesn't really need it
  • The Crowther Hot Cake is "message-board-correct" answer to any question about Vox and OD's - I ordered one and it totally lived up to expectations. It sounds like another drive channel for the Vox, transplanted into a solid state pedal. It can also be subtle and almost completely transparent, using its non-conventional presence control

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of 2-in-1 drive/boost pedals (if any), so I can't help with that specific request, but hope this helps. Cheers!

71strat

Roger Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster

Theres a USED 1 on Reverb ( NO AFFILIATION ) for $165 USD. Shipping Included.

This is a $320 pedal new, and is second to none vs a Treble booster.

It has both a Silicon Drive, and a Germanium Treble Boost Section, and also an EQ/Tone. This control is more of an EQ and is very effective.

The pedal also has 2 x Direct Drive No Loss Splitters/Buffers, or you have the choice to use True Bypass. Also/Can will Drive 2 Amplifiers with the 2 Buffered Outs.

The Concorde + however departs from the clones and uses a unique approach of combining a low noise class A silicon drive circuit with passive tone shaping to drive a fully optimised germanium treble booster. This results in giving the simple circuit new life and explores its sonic boundaries to the maximum. It is now possible to add drive and distortion with EQ before the treble booster section .It is also possible to set the silicon drive section to drive the treble booster section much harder than any guitar pickup could ever do without any added distortion but with the added feature or having EQ prior to the treble booster. So if you want the qualities of soft germanium type distortion overload characteristics that this circuit will produce or you want to explore the more radical germanium distortion possibilities the Concorde+ will oblige

nconcorde+_650.jpg

I would be hard to beat this pedal at $320, no less $165, and they are legendary with most Vox amps. I use 1 with a 30 watt Valvetech Hayseed 30 Head x 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 Scumback SC75s, and haven't found anything that beats it.

alamere

The 10 is a really cool amp.. I used both an Arc Effects clone with mine and also a Zvex box of Rock... Loved them both.
Should be easy, just pick a quality overdrive and go with it.. choice will depend on your personal preference.

I completely disagree with whoever said Vox's don't like the Klon circuit. if I could choose just one pedal to use with mine, there is zero doubt that would be it.
Just my .02

Pretzmidtown

I remember really liking a EQD Speaker Cranker with the AC10c1 when I had it, and I had a Timmy with an AC15c1 that worked great (I usually play Tele's). You could get both used for under $200 :) I liked these pedals because the Vox has such a nice gain sound anyway, I wanted something that could take it to the next level without changing the character of the amp.

DavidH

Has anyone here ever used a BearFoot Sparkling Yellow Overdrive or a Bogner Ecstasy Blue with a Vox AC amp? A couple of my friends were recommending those as overall great pedals. I'd have to go used on those if I were to get one though.

Yeah the Bearfoot SYOD is great into Voxy amps IMO. I have a 3 different EL84 Vox style amps and it melds particularly well with them. A used SYOD1 or SYOD3 would be a great choice for you.

e-flat

Yeah the Bearfoot SYOD is great into Voxy amps IMO. I have a 3 different EL84 Vox style amps and it melds particularly well with them. A used SYOD1 or SYOD3 would be a great choice for you.
Agreed that the SYOD1 is great with a Vox. I also love the Emerald Green OD and Emerald Green Distortion with Voxes.
And I think that it is required for all Vox owners to try a Hotcake at some point :)

How about selling the amp and using the $250 and the amp money to buy a great used amp in that price range.

Lots of great used amps in that price range, maybe even some AC30s

You'd be better off soundwise.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
How about selling the amp and using the $250 and the amp money to buy a great used amp in that price range.

Lots of great used amps in that price range, maybe even some AC30s

You'd be better off soundwise.
There's NOTHING wrong with the sound of an AC10. It's only shortcoming, IMO, is it's only 10 Watts (which is only a problem in a band setting if you're not mic-ing amps). :boxer

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom