Best Overdrive Pedal for around $100

kevod23

I'm looking to buy an od/distortion pedal and want to stay around $100 if possible. I play mostly rock/blues type stuff. I'm running through a Fender Super Champ 15w and have a telecaster FMT with duncans in neck and bridge. I've look at the Boss od-3 and like the sound, but wanted to make sure that there wasn't something better out there before I drop the hammer and buy it.

kevod23

Yeah, I've checked that one out as well as the barber and while they have a great sound, its just a little thinner sounding on all of the demos I hear than what i want. It could be that they are recorder with strats, I dont know. are there any stores around TX that retail them where you can try one out?

theGhost

depending on the amount of gain you could go with one of the visual sound pedals. i'm actually a bigger fan of the "hyde" b/c it's got a bigger bottom end and it's tight. it's got tons of gain too, but it cleans up real nice.

that said... I'm in the market looking at the Barber DD Super Sport...

if you go used and are patient there's TONS of options...

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
People are gonna say I'm nuts for saying it (but that's OK). Try a Boss SD-1.
Nope, you're not nuts. I just got a second one just because it was used and priced at $20 at GC. I plugged it in when I got home and remembered how much I liked them. I'm a big fan of asymmetric clipping and swear that if Boss didn't make them (and if they were true bypass), they'd be high on the list of "must have" boutique pedals.

theGhost

depending on the amount of gain you could go with one of the visual sound pedals. i'm actually a bigger fan of the "hyde" b/c it's got a bigger bottom end and it's tight. it's got tons of gain too, but it cleans up real nice.

that said... I'm in the market looking at the Barber DD Super Sport...

if you go used and are patient there's TONS of options...

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
$100 could get you a very nice modded Boss SD-1. If you are handy with a solder then do the mod yourself. Very nice pedal - unless you really start cranking the gain, then that's where it loses some of it's appeal in relation to the more costly pedals. But for low to mid gain needs, a modded Boss Sd-1 sounds fantastic!

James M

Gold Supporting Member
I'm actually a fan of MXR's Wylde Overdrive....yes, it's Zakk Wylde's OD, but it's really very mild (intended for kicking an already cooking amp) if you use it into a clean amp. I really dig it....except for the goofy bullseye.

Trending Topics