1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best overdrive pedal for el84 amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gigino, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

like on the subject!

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've owned two EL84 amps and both loved the Tim/Timmy and a TS type pedal. The Landgraff Pedalman Pro 818 is killer also.

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Definately, Definately check out the

BJFE Emerald Green Distortion Machine. sounds fantastic in my Orange AD 15.

4. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

I am not just saying this because I have one (I have had, or at least tried just practicuarly everthing else), but you MUST try a Zendrive. It will make those little EL84 babies sing beautifully. Trust me! Trust Alf Hermida.

I have a Mesa Subway rocket, and it makes that sound like a full size Dumble in every way.

Go for it!

DD

5. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Eternity is my pick.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Zendrive for Robben, Mosferatu for Carlos...... you can NOT go wrong. :)

jon

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've enjoyed using a Hotcake with an Aiken Invader, a Bruno UG30, an Alessandro English, and an Alessandro Beagle...

All very different takes on an EL84 amp...

8. madsr

madsr Member

+1 COT50....also menatone fish factory...and stacked in that order is fantastic thru my pro jr.!!

9. teddys

teddys Member

+1 on the Hotcake.

Also loving my Clay Jones OD

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The Clay Jones and Pro Analog Dual Drive have been working very well with EL-84s. The Dual Drive is very transparent, so I find I can dial in the frequencies I want and still keep the subtle breaking up and compressing of the cleans.

11. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

The best I've tried to date are TIM and Timmy. They absolutely love EL84 tubes. :dude They left my Hotcake collecting dust. In fact I just sold the Hotcake and ordered the Tube Zone by MI Audio. We'll see how that fares with my Peavey Delta Blues for the heavy overdrive/distortion duties.

Tubescreamer type pedals I've found not so good with the EL84s. Usually too middy to add to an already middy sounding amps. Delta Blues fares better than, say Peavey Classic 30 or like, with the TS type of pedals 'cause of the bigger 15" speaker and bigger cab that isn't so nasal to begin with. That said I have a love/hate relationship with my Reverend Drivetrain II which is based on TS. Sometimes I can't stand it and sometimes it sounds very good with the bridge pup of the Tele. Drivetrain has separate bass and treble controls. Thus you can adjust it better to a middy amp. It also has less of that midhump as your usual TS.

12. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am DAMN curious about which BJf pedal BEST suits a el34 (jtm 45) amp with humbuckers.....

13. gjf

gjf Member

The Menatone Top Boost in a Can works really well to mildly push an EL-84 amp with single coils. With the gain low, it gives it a nice edge and works well in combination with a warmer overdrive pedal -- I use an Analogman Silver mod TS-9, but I am sure many others would work as well.

14. T-bone

T-bone Member

Hotcake Hotcake Hotcake!
    I'm also digging my new BJF Honey Bee.
    Got a Tim on the way along with a Zendrive so will see who survives.Maybe all of them.

I will always have a Hotcake-it has sounded great in every vox/brit voiced amp I have owned(Top Hats, SonicCords,Dr Z,Classic 30.......)