Best P-90 out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guthrie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

So guys; What do you think is the best P-90 out there?
    I'm looking for new one, and was wondering :)

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

In my opinion, it is the Harmonic Design VP-90.

3. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Haven't heard the Fralin or Wolfetone but I will second the HD Vp-90

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I am interested in a Fralin set, 10% overwound bridge pup, 5% underwound neck pup

Anyone with experience with these care to chime in? :)

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have a set of Lollars in a Collings 290 - outstanding harmonics and touch sensitivity.

6. amc

amc Member

Lollar P90's are the best I've tried so far...

7. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Lollar 50's wind has me as a fan.

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

Don't overlook the Seymour Duncan Vintage P90. They are right up there with Fralin and Lollar. I have owned guitars with all three brands.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have not tried them all, but I replaced my P-100's with a fralin -15 in the neck, and a Duncan P90 3 in the bridge and am very happy. They drive my amps a bit harder than my BB Pros or 57 classic/plus guitars.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The stock Gibson P90s in their LP Specials are closer than ANYTHING I've played to the vintage P90s in my '53 ES-175.

That said, I also like Lindy Fralin's take on them, as well as Duncan Antiquities. The stock Lollars I've played were much too hi-fi sounding to my ears, although I have not yet played his Sean Costello winds, which are supposed to be much more mellow-sounding.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I tried the Vintage Vibe P90s, the Harmonic Design VP90s, the DiMarzio noiseless P90s. I loved the VVs & HDs, but not the DMs - too muddy and thick. But the noise factor made me sell them both - I just can take the noise/hum.

By chance, ie: a TGP thread, I found out about Kent Armstrong's noiseless HP90s, which you can only get directly from him - they aren't advertised anywhere. They sound just like vintage P90s and every bit as sweet as the VVs and HDs, but they are noiseless!!!

Highly recommended. Kent also made me a killer custom set of noiseless Charlie Christian pickups.

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Fralins all the way

Just as a little secret, Sean Costello was using Fralin P90's in his 56 reissue Goldtop, that was straight from Sean's mouth. He said that Lollar copied his set in his original Goldtop (I believe a '53) BUT, he said that he never got a set, and instead got a set of Fralins and put those in the reissue.

His Goldtop tone, is my benchmark. Well, he, early Freddy King, Hubert Sumlin, and early Muddy Waters.

13. KBR

KBR Member

14. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I put Fralins in this one.
    They sound really great.

[​IMG]

15. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

I just put a set of Vintage Vibe p90's in my guitar last night. So far, it sounds incredibly good! Still has a little bit of noise, but I think that's just part of the p90 game. Sounds a lot better than the stacked Duncan p90 that I tried.

I got these pickups with the ceramic magnets installed, but they came with an extra set of Alnico V magnets that can be swapped in if I want. Pretty cool.

Can't really comment about lollars or hd's but this VV set really sounds great.

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Lollars and Wolfetones- fantastic pups

17. Betos

Betos Member

Another vote for Lollars.

18. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I have to agree with Dave Orban. I have three different guitars with gibson's stock p-90s and they sound too good to wanna f**k around with. I've been interested in the lollars for a bit, but I figure if it 'ain't broke'...

-Dave B

19. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

The neck P90 in mine is, indeedn, quite lovely. Suggestions welcome on a replacement for its partner, however: not as powerful, and thin sounding. I'm looking for something that matches the neck in thickness, but has a more open, airy tone and a bit more top/hi mid. (But I hate shrill in any shape or form!). Being a neck p/up man by persuasion, it's not going to be used that often, but something that would tempt me to use it more often (and would sound good in the middle position too) would make a nice upgrade to a lovely little guitar.

20. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I have a set of Fralin's in an ES-135. Stock bridge, 15% under neck and I can't imagine that there's anything out there that sounds better.

They're perfectly balanced, the neck is nice and fat without being muddy and the bridge has enough low's/mid's to go along with the beautiful highs to keep it from being bright or harsh. Both have a really nice bite to them when you dig into the strings, especially the bridge.