Best P90 guitar for under $850

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p.mo, Apr 29, 2019.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have a LP jr Special that I really like. I swap out the P90’s (typically Lollards) and minihumbuckers occasionally. Mines a 2010.

The SG Classic is also a great guitar.

Reverend makes some really nice P90’s.

I’ve always thought a thin line tele with two P90’s would be cool.

2. richey88

richey88 Member

I just got the ‘19 LPJ Tribute. LOVE IT! Do I miss a neck pickup? Nah.

Louiddur likes this.
  3. Gurn

Gurn Member

BigDoug1053 likes this.
  4. KidAfterDark

KidAfterDark Supporting Member

I just picked up 2018 Hamer Monaco Special K and these are amazing guitars for the price! Light weight (6.5 lbs.) Korina body and neck with well dressed ebony fingerboard with 10” radius and 2 P-90’s.
    Indonesian made but outstanding quality IMO.

5. JNixon

JNixon Supporting Member

buy 3 Peavey Firenza P90s...

6. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

My main guitars are all P90 loaded and have no intention of going back to HBs any time soon.

Had a PRS SE One for a bit but I didn’t like the Korina body and moved it on to someone else. It was fun to play. The Soapbar IIs are really nice too and a great choice.

#1 is an Eastman SB56 with Lollar P90s but is a bit above the threshold in this thread. Can’t say enough about this guitar.

#2 is my Epiphone “Inspired by 1955” LP with Gibson P90s, got it used for very short money and it is a ripper of a guitar. Spent a little time cleaning up the fret board, finishing the fret ends correctly, and a bone nut and was totally worth the hour spent doing it.

Also #2 is my PRS Zach Meyers with BG Pure 90s. Plays very well, the semi-hollow body adds some character to the sound. It’s a coin flip to decide if this or the Epi comes to each gig as my backup.

The Gibson the OP went with from GC is very, very tempting. I am such a sucker for LP style P90 guitars and struggle to not buy them when they are priced right.

HoboMan likes this.
  7. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

MPicc likes this.
  8. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

Just closing the loop on this...

Well, I bought one of those 2019 Les Paul Special P-90 Honeyburst models from Guitar Center... the Limited Edition ones. A fair price at $799... But should've known better.

I had it shipped to a GC outside of Boston. So I get there last night to pick it up and the guy comes out with what does not look like a Gibson shipping box. Me thinks "here we go..." and we did. I pull the guitar out of this random box and of course it's the old crap Gibson gig bag, not the newer plush brown ones (which are awesome) but I was sort of OK with it, because I understand that they originally shipped with the crap ones so I thought this would be a low serial number.

I pull the guitar out and it's got finger smudges all over it. The guitar is actually sticky in places.

Flip over to see the back and the serial number is a later 2019, so now I'm even more suspicious. So I'm not happy. Then I look in the bag pouch and the inspection card serial # doesn't match the guitars #.

I've got nothing against the Guitar Center guys near me, they're all actually really cool people, but I think I'm officially done with GC. Anyway, I got a refund.

Today I pulled the trigger on another highly recommended model... a 2011 Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute on Reverb at a fair price. Finger crossed!

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    jbcohen92 and joevacc like this.
  9. FennRx

FennRx Member

The 2014 LP MMs. They can be had for $300-350. If there is one thing Gibson does well, it’s make p90s

sgt.minor likes this.
  10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How about the Epiphone WildKat: you can get the bigsby version for less than $375 used (if you keep your eyes open, maybe even less than $300). I upgraded the P90s in mine to Lollars, but it was a smallish improvement, the stock pickups are quite decent!

11. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

I did. No regrets. Sounds better than the stock SE HBs.

12. blind radish

blind radish Supporting Member

The best way to enjoy a P90 guitar, is to play one that has just ONE p90

[​IMG]

Windup 43, mrsongbird and porcytree like this.
  13. porcytree

porcytree Member

Love that description......absolutely perfect description of P90's.

14. porcytree

porcytree Member

I seriously looked at one of these recently as I love the Tele shape & I love P90's......BUT.....a Tele ( for me ) should always have the SC/Ashtray in the bridge position.

In the end I went for the 2019 Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Jnr....excellent guitar.

15. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

16. porcytree

porcytree Member

They had a Wildkat in our local Dawsons Music Store ( just sadly closed down :(:() on offer for a while last summer (priced down to £299.00 ) and I looked at it long and hard.

Looked pretty cool and felt really nice to play but it sounded very "muddy" ( for a P90 / 500k pot loaded guitar ) so I didn't pull the trigger.

17. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I got a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II, bought it used but mint for $350. I gutted it electronically, put CTS 500k pots, orange drop cap, a Switchcraft switch and Jack and a set of Wolfetone P90s(Mean/Meaner set) in it, so I'm roughly $550 into it and it's an EXCEPTIONAL sounding(and playing) guitar.

18. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Low cost p90 rig?
    Slick SL59 and SL60 slabs w wraparound bridge and one vol.
    Raw. $200
    With your savings “you’re goin ‘ta Sizzler, goin ‘ta Sizzler”.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve played them, great bang for the buck and simple testament to juniors and specials. If necks were bigger (I prefer 1.75 x 1”+) I’d have one. Had a Slick tele which sounded fantastic, but again, neck on the slimmer side.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  19. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

Yep, got mine from GC for $650 with the original hsc. Killer pickups, great playing guitar.

20. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Windup 43 likes this.