Best Pedal Connect Cables, Power Cords

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FireBottle, Apr 24, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I am refining my board and want some good cables to connect my pedals...after looking at many awesome PedalTrain and Trailertrash boards on TGP I've noticed some very cool cables that allow for the pedals to be very close together, conserving space on the board. (The ends look like small black barrels.) Does anyone know where I can find these or something similar???

2. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

After getting off my lazy ass and doing some poking around online, I believe them to be George L's...

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

george l's are either loved or hated by guitarists...many will insist they sound great...which they do...mayby will also insist they are easy to set up, which they ARE not, and that they are dependable, which they are NOT unless you are one of the few who have no problems setting them up...I couldnt get a cable to work repeatedly for the life of me...thought it was just user error, but then I got PLanet Waves cables

planet waves are solderless, cut yourself, same as george l cables...sound just as good if not better and are truly simple to set up...

george l cables i would cut and connect cut reconnect finally get it to work, then it would crap out on me in a week...I would spend every other practice session trying to find what cable crapped out, then make another surgical precision cut, reconnect, all would be fine, and lo and behold no sound two or three days later...and if you so much as lightly tug on the connection poof no sound...finally gave up on em

planet waves I would cut ONCE, connect ONCE, and NEVER ever had a problem, I could swing a pedal around and NOT loose the connection...any three year old can make these cables with 100% success...

again many insist they have NO problems with george Ls and I believe em...many also insist ehy have nothing but problems with george ls and I believe them also...everyone agrees the george ls sound awesome when they are working...

I have never heard anyone having problems with planet waves solderless

4. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

There are pages and pages of George L's discussion here, but it comes down to these facts:
    Some will say the solderless connection is prone to failure. Others will say they've never had a problem, you just have to assemble them correctly.

Some will say they're overly bright, even a bit brittle sounding. Others will say they sound fine, and even that the brightness compliments a darker amp.

I tried them and passed them on, due to
    1. failure from the soldeless connection
    and
    2. Sounded bright and brittle with my rig.

If you're looking to save that board real estate, I'd recommend Lavacable's Evidence Monorail kit (but solder the connections) or Bill Lawrence's patch cable set. YMMV.

5. madscientist

madscientist Member

Get the Evidence Audio monorails assembled by lavaman (lava cable). Great, natural sound, without any of the added highs or lows from some of the other well known cables. Prices are very reasonable.

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I just ordered Bill Lawrence after a lot of research.
    i can't get George L's to work reliably.
    And apparently Planet Waves eventually fail/come loose.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Wow, am I frustrated.
    I'd like to backup my custom poresets on my Timefactor in order to 1. make more, 2. protect them, 3. install version 2.0 software.
    I registered and then installed the sysex software they recommend, but have NO clue how to use it. None. Like, will USB work (please tell me I don't to buy a midi interface for this).
    Can anyone walk me through it? I love everything else about this box.

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

New thread?

9. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I just got the lavacable kit. Man it puts the george l's to shame imho...Easy to assemble, sound great and in one sitting about 1-1/2 hours I had totally rewired my board....This is the best kit I have ever used and I have tried almost all of the others. They also stand up to my size 13's stomping on them all night...Congrats to Lava Mark I think he has reinvented the wheel with this kit....

10. Snap

Snap Member

I used George L's faithfully for a couple of years because I'd read so many glowing reviews. But after having my board crap out on me a couple of times because of george l's in the middle of a gig I decided it was time to try something else.

I've currently been using the Planet Waves pedalboard kit for over a year of constant gigging and have been very pleased.
    I will probably get around to trying out the Lava Cable stuff just to see how it compares.

11. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I've used George Ls on my board for years with ZERO problems, go figure.

Cheers,

CJ

12. ford

ford Supporting Member

I just set up with the Bill Lawrence and so far so great! I need to get some pics of the new board set up...

rock

bford

13. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I also got my BL kit recently & am in the middle of cabling everything - so far so good

14. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I decided on the Lava ELC DIY solderless kits for my board - been playing out with them twice a week for four months now with no problems and they sound great.