Best pedal for AC30 tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waygorked, Jan 29, 2012.

1. waygorked

waygorked Member

A month with a Mesa TA30 clued me into the glory of the Vox topboost tone. I have since swapped the amp for a Mini Rectifier, which I love, but I am left with a significant topboost deficiency. I have been playing around with the AC30 preamp in my HD500 into the loop return on the MiniRec, which sounds really nice for compressed tones, but lacks a bit of the touch sensitivity of a tube preamp. Is there anything out there that does a really spectacular job of this in a pedal/preamp format?

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Carl Martin AC-Tone. Coming soon in a small-box enclosure.....

3. GlobalCooling

GlobalCooling Member

There's the Catalinbread CB30. I haven't tried it personally, but Catalinbread stuff in general is excellent.

4. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

BOSS BC-2

I really liked the Englishman, but thought it chopped off the low-end

5. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Menatone Top Boost in a Can. Some variance from unit to unit -- the one I have now sounds phenomenal.

6. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

How do these all compare to the T21 Liverpool?

7. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

I was wondering why people get amp simulators.. is it because you dont want to use an amp and run through the PA instead?.. or do people commonly use them going into their amp? If so, theres no problem with doing that?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

there's nothing close. if you have a real vox on hand to compare you'll understand what i mean. the vox amps are very fast and they can really change how you play and how quickly you hear a note. a vox can feel like somebody is nudging you along, like a little caboose. they also sound like a chorus of guitars when you start getting them cooking. no pedal is even close to a real vox amp. sure, some pedals can add shimmer and a fast dynamic but it really is underwhelming next to the real thing.

9. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Get a voxac15. Barely costs more than your pedals

10. Dale

Dale Member

TBIAC many knob version.

11. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I have the Carl Martin AC Tone and I am pretty happy with it. You can get that classic AC30 grind and beyond. I do find it to have a lot of gain vs an actual AC30 though.

12. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

I agree about the real thing. In 2008, I had the pleasure of recording at Abbey Road, Studio 2, and played through a 1970 Vox AC-30. The sound just leapt out of the amp. Never heard anything like it. Here's a link to a video I made about the experience. All the guitar tracks are through that AC-30. When the solos come, we just cranked the amp and, on the second song, had a little tiny bit of vintage Tube Screamer added to push the input of the amp a bit harder. Picking up the sound was a Neumann U47 mic about 2 feet away...

Check it out: http://loudoldguys.com/AbbeyRoad/occupyabbeyroadc.html

Bob

13. Dale

Dale Member

The biggest issue with the various pedals is the AC clean tone. Many do the grind pretty well. The TBIAC (at least mine) is one of the few that does the clean of the AC pretty well.

14. waygorked

waygorked Member

When Vox finally comes out with an AC30HW with an effects loop, I would be more than happy to get the real thing. In the meantime...

15. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

+1 to this

16. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

17. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

8 knob tbiac. You won't regret it. If you can find it ;)

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

bingo - correct answer - anyone who says different is kidding themselves :bonk
    There are no substitutes for Vox or Mesa tube amps

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    so in the meantime you'll be wasting your time then :huh

20. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

I'll agree that no pedal can completely emulate an amp, especially the character of a Vox. But after mic-ing an amp and having it go through a set of monitors, I've realized much of that lush Vox chime is lost. And so, I've been trying for the past few months to make a board that runs direct into a PA system to emulate an AC30 (but didn't want/couldn't afford an AxeFX II). I still want to try the 8-knob TBIAC once I can find one on the market, but so far the Carl Martin AC-Tone and the Catalinbread Silverkiss have worked best for me. Additionally, having a Diamond Compressor to get some slight compression and EQ shift gets me even closer to that sound. Also...I can't believe it, but yes, the Timmy helps...people joke about it being the go-to answer for every question about pedals on TGP, but sometimes it's true! The Timmy works to get my setup to the edge of break up sound, and then another EQ to fine tune everything.