Best Pedal for Cinderella/"Keifer - Slaughter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jimmy 3, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jimmy 3

Jimmy 3 Member

Hi Everyone,

Any advice on a pedal to achieve the tones of these bands/musicians I love? I was considering the XTS Atomic Overdrive or perhaps the Bogner Blue or Red. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy

2. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

Rat or a red MXR Distortion 3.

3. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Boss DS-1. Don't laugh... Just turn the treble down to 9:00, 10:00.

4. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

To me Tom Keifer's tone is just cranked Plexi/JCM800 Marshall.
    He had way better tone than his 80's compatriots, especially that Tim Kelly guy from Slaughter.

Perfect example is the Live At The Key Club CD. I love Keifer's tone and playing, Cinderella were so much better than the Warrant/Slaughter/Winger bands they get lumped in with, IMHO.
    :beer

5. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

+1 :beer

6. Serenity

Serenity Member

It would be easier to help if you mentioned what amp you're using

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Yeah, Keifer was usually a LP or tele thru a cranked Marshall. I know he DOES have a pedalboard, maybe for boosting solos? But his rhythm tone is all amp.

8. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

That's why Cinderella doesn't sound as dated as their 80's peers- a Les Paul through a cranked Marshall never gets old.

9. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

I don't know that Bogner pedals will do for this. Cinderella was one of my favorites bands back in the day Labar and Keifer where pretty much straight up Marshall guys with a TS9 delay and reverb to taste. Bogner has that signature mid chewy thing going on. If anything look at the Fulltone Secret Freq. pedal on you tube.

10. Jimmy 3

Jimmy 3 Member

Using a BC Rich CJ Pierce Pro X Eagle guitar that has Seymour Duncan Custom Custom and 59 pick-ups into a Fender Cyber Deluxe . . . hope that helps everyone in being able to give me advice on getting the Keifer / Cinderella sound . . . still pretty new at this so your help's greatly appreciated

11. Jimmy 3

Jimmy 3 Member

One other note . . . the Cyber deluxe amp I use has a lot of pre-loaded pre-sets, but you can put it into manual mode and choose from Blackface, Tweed, Modern, British, and Dyna-touch, all of which have about 4 settings from a clean to distorted tone. After that you can dial-in distortion amount u like and of course set the EQ. Thought that may help with you kind folks sharing advice to get this tone. Thanks - Jimmy

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Tom also always had a great Tele tone as well! Huge fan of that band and his playing/tones. Long Cold Winter and Heartbreak Station are fantastic albums.

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

Pretty sure Long Cold Winter was Les Paul into JCM800.
    Either of these should get you in the right territory.
    Wampler Plextortion
    Weehbo JCM Drive (the Limited Edition version, has more gain)

14. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

Rather than start splashing out on pedals, with that amp I'd delve into what the amp can do. The only way you'll get a pedal to give you a tone like Tom is to stick a mild boost in front of an already cranked tube amp.

Start with Preset 27 - Vintage Stack, keep the mids in, don't scoop them and adjust the bass and treble to suit. Keep the gain down too, the secret to tones like that is low'ish gain with a cranked valve power section which unfortunately you don't have, so you may need to add a bit more gain for lead tones and sustain.

To really get authentic old school cranked Plexi/JCM tones you really read to start with a valve amp. Stick to getting "nearly" there with the amp and save your money towards a valve amp rather than spending on pedals.
    Have fun!!!
    :aok

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:agree

Solid advice from grimlyflick

16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

If you have a Cyber Twin you might not need any pedals. Just choose the TS9 booster and the NeoBritish amp setting. Maybe use the tape delay as needed.