Best pedal for faux 12 string sounds - ala Beatles, Byrds, Stairway

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Apr 13, 2016.

1. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

There's a lot of options out there...what sounds the most authentic to a 12 string Rickenbacher or Danelectro but as a pedal?

2. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Supporting Member

Some sort of harmonizer I reckon... Whammy or Boss PS6?

3. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I don't have one myself but the Digitech Mosaic sounds the most natural from what I've heard.

I bought an Electro Harmonix Micro POG for this (the Mosaic didn't exist yet back then) and it sounds good with the higher octave below about halfway but past that is a bit unnatural unless you have some dirt or something on to disguise it.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  4. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Look up some videos- POG/POG2, pitch fork.

Its not going to be exact-

5. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I've used a Mooer Tender Octaver. It does a very nice job and tracks well. Not perfect, but it works pretty darn good.

6. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

Before I bought my 360/12, I used a Micro POG. It worked pretty well for some Smiths tunes.

7. Antlerface

Antlerface Member

Check out the Mr. Black LTD Octave II. I got one. It's neat.

8. the tourist

the tourist Member

I'm still waiting for a company to create an authentic 12-string pedal. Octave up to a certain note (say open B string) and then there's a filter cutoff to a Keeley 30ms style ADT (so 4 and up on G, 9 and up on D, 14 and up on A, and 19 and up on E would just be doubled). Detune applied to both.

ChampReverb and Flatscan like this.
  9. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I have a Pog2 incoming. I didnt love the Micro Pog for this (but loved it for other things), but I'll let you know how the 2 works. I'm thinking the detune bit will help, cause 12strings are never actually in tune!

I found a little bit of chorus can help do a 12-string-esque thing.

ChampReverb and MattLeFevers like this.
  10. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Idk- ive got the pog2 - the 12 string preset, from what i recall, was not really great. Ill call it up again and take a listen

11. 64 Tele

64 Tele Member

I've got the Digitech Mosaic. It's pretty darn close (and I owned a Rickenbacker 12 string for 20 yrs).

12. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but I'm pretty sure that's what the Mosaic does. Perhaps @DigiTechRep could chime in?

13. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

The tone knob on the Mosaic is multi-function, one of those functions is an "emphasis" that shifts the emphasis from octaves to unison. We tried a filter-cutoff and it sounded very unnatural so we came up with a less authentic but more musical solution (In our opinion).

14. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Yeah, if you've got a 12 string around, it's never going to be as satisfying, but for a song or two here or there in a set....

15. ibis

ibis Member

I have just tried a Mosaic. Its probably the 'best thing out there', but it doesn't quite cut the mustard enough for me. I'm returning it to Amazon. I could detect octaves/high harmonics on the top strings despite turning down the tone knob. Turning up the mix knob made the 'digital artefacts' a little too noticeable for my use. Its a shame, as I'm very much a DigiTech fan and dig the RP1000 and Harmony Man among other products. Perhaps its the cost/benefit ratio? £99 isn't cheap for a box with one sound. I willingly paid much more for the Harmony Man but I then get a lot more use from it.
    For faux 12 string sounds I've been using the Voodoo modulation effect in the RP1000. It'll do, until DigiTech come up with a successor to the venerable RP1000 that perhaps contains such goodies as good as or better than the latest Whammy, Harmony Man and Mosaic, in a more affordable and all-in-one product. Take my money now, its about time you did! DigiTech do pitch-based effects better than anyone else. Its a wonder they haven't brought out a RP1000 successor that nails it in that department. I would pay a premium.
    @DigiTechRep :bow Please say there's a box in the pipeline with my name on it that has the ever so useful pedalboard layout of the RP1000, the same ability the run sims to board along with with non-sim signal to clean guitar amp, your great organic drives (I love the tones in my RP1000 patches; I still get many compliments on my sound) and has the latest pitch magic you guys are capable of. Oh, and zero patch latency and reverb/delay trails. Things that make a difference in the gigging world. Simple dreams! I love :aok my venerable RP1000 but would happily retire it for what I know you guys are capable of!
    Sorry, [/rant]. :brick