Best pedal for Plexi superbass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thames, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Hello dudes :BluesBros

Time to push my tone quest a bit further...:hiP

I really dig my Carl Martin PlexiTone, but it has a bit too much gain (dist) I think.

What are the other options, to complement a '67 Superbass ? For a bright, rock lead tone. I had a Rangemaster into an OCD last year, it was a nice setup, but a bit too thin, and prone to feedback.

2. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I'm interested in this too...

You think a plain old tubescreamer might do the trick?

I recently picked up a Soultone 1986 Bass Super Plexi and I'm finding boost type pedals to be great for pushing it. Also a Zvex Box Of Rock is sounding nice with my Les Paul.

3. Thames

Thames Member

Well, Im aiming for the Zepp TSRTS '73 tone. That bright, cutting tone. I think I'll need to mod my Superbass to SL/Metal panel specs first.

4. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

The Box of Rock adds a little of the Page like chime with the tone knob set a bit brighter. It gets close. Might do in a pinch.

5. Brad J

Brad J Member

Hey Thames, that and HTTWW is my ultimate plexi tone, just finished building a ROG Thor http://olcircuits.com/olc_thor.html
    at low gain last night it sounds very convincing (through a JTM45), has that huge low end, and cutting top end, will report more after this saturday's gig.

For reference I've had: Barber DDSS, Crunchbox, Brownie, Lovepedal Provalve, Wampler Super Plextortion.

Cheers,

Brad

6. Brad J

Brad J Member

Update for you:

I ran the Thor over the weekend, it's the first pedal that is reputed to mimic a plexi that actually does!

It sounds great into an amp at volume, cleans up remarkably well and has many great tones available just by using the volume control (on your guitar).

Highly recommended if you're after plexi od.

7. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

+1 on the Thor. I hate to use all the typical buzzwords, but I will say it is a full-range overdrive (by that I mean, no mid hump, plenty of tight lows, not flabby) and at low to mid gain settings does the responsive "pick soft-it's clean/pick hard-breaks up" better than anything I've tried so far. And that's even without using the gtr's vol knob, if the gain is set right. Brad is right, though- great results await if you do work the volume knob on the guitar. And as a bonus, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster and TS circuits sound great running into it - of course, IMO,YMMV.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

Try the lowly and underrated Jacques Mercer Box - under $100 used.

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I have always liked a stock SD-1 but a germanium or silicon fuzzface is my favorite pedal for a Superbass.

Thames, what your describing sounds like you may want to try a Screwdriver or treble booster.

10. Ohsumyall Bmad

Ohsumyall Bmad Senior Member

nahhh, non of these hyped super-bassy pedals will sound good with a Real old Marshall/4x12 which has TONS of Bass to begin with.

The TubeScreamer suggestion wasn't far off, not great, but please, BOR?
    What's it got ...a 5 db bump at 100hz?

11. Brad J

Brad J Member

Hence the bass cut switch........

12. johnny_duke

johnny_duke Member

Gentlemen, i highly recommend a good rangemaster. My previous amp was a 100 watt plexi and the rangemaster gave it that TSRTS kick and bite that you are looking for. I now downsized to an 18 watt TMb and yes the rangemaster is still driving that also. So many models out there, i went for the german made BSM rangemaster and it screams. I have also heard alot of good things about the beanoboost.

13. Brad J

Brad J Member

Rangemasters are great into a Marshall, depends on what you're after though, Thames said he was using a CM Plexitone, so I assumed he was aiming for marshall breakup in a pedal.

Agree Beano's are good, or make one yourself, mine runs an OC43

14. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

The HBE Germacide is a rangemaster clone with a 5 way switch to select the frequency band to boost, as well as a Hi Fi/Lo Fi switch that makes it wider or narrower.

Works great with a superbass.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

Yeah I love treble boosters. I have a Divided by 13 Dyna-Ranger for sale in the Emporium at the moment, it also has a 5-way low cut switch. A very aggressive, versatile germanium treble-booster which was on my board for the last 3 years, only reason I'm selling it is that I've since built my own DIY booster.

16. Thames

Thames Member

BUMP for a good thread :) at least for me ! :)

17. Brad J

Brad J Member

Maybe check out the Catalinbread DLS (Dirty Little Secret) thread, good LZ tones there too it seems

18. Sol

Sol Member

The Crowther Hotcake works really well with bass Marshalls.

I have a 50watt Lead&Bass top which is basically a Bass amp with a few tweeks and my Bluesberry version is the pedal I use most with this amp.

It adds that upper mid cut that Bass Marshalls dont have that much of.

Its a diferent sound entirely but my D*A*M Red Rooster treble booster is fantastic with the Marshall

Failing all that, a 7 band EQ can do an awful lot for shaping and boosting the signal, cheap too !

A combo of a 7band EQ and Hotcake together will certainly get you close to that Zeppelin sound