Best Pedal Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Opinions here?

Im using the One-Spot right now & it seems good.. but Im to the point I need something that will power more pedals without being HUGE & taking up a ton of space.

Whats the best / quietest you have used?

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

The PP2+ is more or less the gold standard. The outputs are isolated (unlike the t-rex, to my understanding) so no hum, plus there's an outlet on the back just in case you've got something you want wall-wart-powered. I use one on each of my boards and never have problems on that side of things.

3. neil99

neil99 Member

+1 on the PP2, just pick one up and be done with it. I have probably saved what it cost in batteries over the last 3 years. A bit more expensive, but a solid reliable piece of gear. Space wise, I just put my tuner on top of it before I mounted it under my board to save a bit of real estate. 1700mA is quite a bit considering most pedals really don't draw a whole lot. I have powered 14 pedals including a DD-20 off it using a couple of the one-spot daisy chains with no noise issues.

4. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Another vote for PP2+.
    Once ya bite the bullet and buy one... IMO, you can move on to other issues.

5. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

My loyalties will always lie with my trusty DC power bricks... i like em a lot. not isolated like the PP2 and no 'bonus plug' in the back, but a lot of juice, 18v outs, lower price tag, and less than half the size of the PP2. But they are right, the PP2 is the industry standard right now for powering your boards.

6. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

My Teese Wah squeals like a mother with the DC brick, but doesn't with my Furman.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

I use the Flatliner now, but the PP2+ is defenitly the best otherwise! I owned one before and had no issues with it.

8. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

PP2+, I run a pair of them under my board and they work as advertised with no issues plus they have adapters to fit everything.

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

HOW MANY PEDALS CAN ONE PP2+ POWER??
    one 1 spot powers my entire huge board.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It depends entirely on the pedals in question (how much current they use) and how much isolation they need. The PP2+ has 8 outputs (essentially 8 separate power sources), each with 100mA (200mA for outputs 5-6). If you want/need all pedals to be powered independently, the limit is obviously 8 pedals.

However, by combining pedals (powering more than one from the same output), you can increase that number quite a bit. Doing so does not mean things have to get noisy - after all, at the moment you're running all pedals from the same source... But you may have to experiment a little, to find combinations that work (and to find the pedals that absolutely have to have their own output). Keep in mind that no combination shoudl exceed 80-90mA (180mA for outputs 5-6), to leave a little breathing room for the voltage regulators. Obviously, any pedals run from the same output will have to have the same voltage rating and ground polarity (you can't daisy chain pedals from the PP2+ if they can't be daisy chained with any other kind of supply).

/Andreas

11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I just use the 1-spot with a daisy chain and have no problems.