Best pedal purchase 2018

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wilto, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

I'm still in the honeymoon phase but the Barber Burn Unit EQ is my favorite from 2018. As far as drive pedals it may even be my favorite all together but time will tell as I've thought that about other OD pedals that I no longer own. It's my first Barber pedal but will not be my last. I feel the need to try many more and if they are all this good, I may have a board full of Barbers.

Daytona57 and AceBSpankin like this.
  2. adolan

adolan Member

I wanted a basic Flanger, I wasn't happy with the Spectre, something about that pedal I could not bond with the BF-2 has a response/feel I prefer, i tried but in the long run I wasn't a fan of the Spectre's base tone. I had an original Electric Mistress from like 76-77 which was an amazing sounding pedal but I sold due to the quirky nature of that pedal. I need to try an original MXR 117 as thats one I have no exp with, had use of an older ADA Flanger for a while which was cool too.

Holzar88 likes this.
  3. jwny72

jwny72 Member

Got it. I have yet to put both on the board to compare them, but the BF-2 and Spectre do have distinct timbres. Perhaps it was the Spectre's (pronounced) preamp you didn't care for. I happen to like it. It's bassy. If I remember right, the BF-2 cuts bass.

I love the Electric Mistress sound. I'm a big fan of Andy Summers. I had a Deluxe version years ago. I got rid of it because of a volume drop I couldn't correct at the time. It was also huge. But I loved the sound, especially being fed a lot of fuzz!

adolan likes this.
  4. Madison

Madison Member

Out of a bunch the keepers for 2018, Polytune, MXR 6 EQ, SBAD, Burnley.

5. ccpa

ccpa Member

Sunface NKT red dot

AceBSpankin likes this.
  6. slowburn

slowburn Member

See in 2018 I bought, traded for or otherwise acquired...

03 fiesta red fd2 premosfet.
    Keeley bd2
    Lovepedal Small box amp 11
    Lovepedal roadhouse eternity
    Hermida eph3 (2x)
    Hermida red dress zendrive
    Keeley D&M drive
    Boss dm2 waza*
    Boss ce2 waza
    Wampler Tumnus
    Ditto looper
    Polytune mini 2
    Boss dd3
    EHX memory boy
    Black Magic Zendrive
    Mini Deja Vibe*
    OCD 1.7*
    TS Mini*
    Snouse Blackbox OD2
    FD3
    Timeline
    Boss bd2 stock
    Mxr phase 95 (2x)
    JHS morning glory and red remote
    JHS double Barrel 3
    Fulltone FD1

So that’s 25 or but I am only left with six of them to end the year with. Pedals with * means I’ve owned them a second time but the first time was before 2018.

And I actually made money...

Best purchase was the timeline.

But I learned so much about my preferences in overdrive pedals. I expect 2019 to be calmer on the pedal front. I predict maybe 6 new pedals with a net addition of 2.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Kevy_Metal likes this.
  7. wetordry

wetordry Member

Friedman be-od deluxe i think...

8. stonecabin

stonecabin Member

I've been quite active for me this year. Bought a couple of spaceman effects pedals which I love and my Nocturne Mystery Brain is outstanding,. My number one favourite is probably my Blackstrap Electrik Red Sam Mk 1 tonebender. It's an amazing fuzz, very primal, almost primitive sounding, and the construction is really a work of love. Also took delivery of a Hudson Broadcast yesterday so early days but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

9. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I bought quite a few pedals this year... more than I have ever bought at one time. I totally revamped my board, and I really like all of my new additions including a BA fuzz, ZVEX BoR, Diamond Phaser and Memory Lane Jr, BA Throbby...

My best pedal purchase this year (Of the 8 or so I picked up) is my Red Panda Context reverb. I am into making spacey-ambient rock tones, and this pedal does just what I was hoping it would do. The Cathedral setting is so awesome!

10. Machew

Machew Member

I was hoping you could also change just single strings as well.

11. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Well in 2018 I thought I was going to have a more quiet year with early on buying a Catalinbread Adineko which is outstanding, but then went onto buy a Bearfoot Arctic White Fuzz which is best fuzz I've owned.
    Other pedals that I went onto buy:

Drybell Vibe 2 - nice sounding vibe pedal but in the end decided Vibe wasn't for me & so sold on.

Bearfoot Dyna Red 4k - owned the 3k version in the past & the BJFE version absolutely love this for the Rock tones. It's my favourite distortion pedal I've played, although mainly use it for mid gain drive tones.

Ibanez Tubescreamer 808HW - thought I'd try another tubescreamer, which was great but a little too compressed for me & so sold on.

Xotic EP Booster - owned one in the past & regretted selling it & bought another, great little pedal.

Analogman KOT V4 - as my name came up on the list so thought it would be rude not to buy it again. The KOT was better than I remember it being that maybe because I got the High gain side for the overdrive. Probably my favourite overdrive!

FoxRox Paradox TZF2 - absolutely amazing flanger, my now go to pedal for those Chrous/Flanger/Phaser tones.

Diamond Counterpoint - lush delay that I cannot believe it's not analog, need to use some more but another great buy.

As to my favourite purchase in 2018 that is tough as bought a lot of great pedals last year. The Bearfoot Artic White Fuzz made me like fuzz pedals & the Dyna Red best distortion pedal I've owned, Analogman KOT just a superb & warm sounding overdrive, but then the Foxrox Paradox TZF2 sounds immense having owned the original which I regretted selling the TZF2 sounds as good. Depending on the day it would be any of these 4.

This year I think my pedal purchases will be to a minimum as thinking might buy another amp in the Summer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Member

My 2018 pedal purchase of the year was also a Boss MS-3. Allowed me to make a smaller board with my extra pedals for quick jams with killer presets. Just wish there was an iOS app for Boss pedal products.

13. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I know we are only 2 weeks into 2019, but I'd like to add the Xotic RC/AC-Oz, AC Comp, and BB Plus to my fave purchase of 2018, the Wampler Paisley Deluxe. So many great combos with these four pedals. Kinda makes me curious to pick up a cheap, used AC Plus, but probably unnecessary.

14. run23

run23 Supporting Member

I already answered (Chase Bliss Brothers and Condor combo), but I’m also going to steal someone else’s answer and say my board as a whole. This year I ended up redoing my whole board - the only holdover is my tuner. I spent a bunch of time trying to get my sound as good as I could for my playing style - I love the tones I’m getting now, so yeah, my entire board: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe (Tumnus now just sometimes), Chase Bliss Brothers, Chase Bliss Condor, Chase Bliss Wombtone, Strymon El Capistan, Chase Tone Secret Preamp, and an expression pedal connected to the Wombtone and Brothers (sometimes to the Condor). Every once in a while I’ll swap in another pedal when I want a specific effect, but otherwise I’m loving every pedal my board. I’m in a weird position where I don’t really want any other pedals (other than a King of Tone I guess, but maybe that’s just because I can’t get one, or at least one at around the list price). I’ll see how long that lasts (-;!

Gera RG likes this.
  15. h-pr

h-pr Member

You're probably going to be disappointed, but it's a tie between the Rat 2 and the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. In both cases it was a matter of "why on earth didn't I buy that sooner?".

16. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

2018 was more a synthesiser and rack gear year for me, I think I only bought four pedals:
    Frantone the Sweet, Carcosa, Boss HF-2 flanger and an HBE Germania. All good, but I think the Frantone wins.

[​IMG]

17. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Earlier in this thread I put up my TC Electronic Sub'n'Up Mini and my Zoom G1Xon as candidates for the title as my best pedal purchase of 2018, and while the Sub'n'Up is a crucial part of my bass setup and the Zoom gets a lot of use both in my guitar and bass setup in reality my Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo) is at least as important, as I use it as an always on clean preamp in my guitar setup.

So perhaps my American Sound is really the best pedal purchase I made in 2018?

What I do know is it sounds not short of amazing, was really cheap, and gets me exactly the tone I want for my guitar.

Actually I also use it as part of my bass setup.

18. bentonfalls

bentonfalls Member

It would be toss up between OBNE Haunt and Catalinbread Karma Suture.
    For 2019, i’m eyeing a Belle Epoch. But first need to figure out and finally fix my DL4 which won’t power up and has been off my board for most of ‘18.

19. Steven

Steven Member

Didnt buy many new pedals 2018 but the one that really stands out is the minute Henretta Green Zapper Autowah. I´ve had different autowahs/envelope filters, some of them with lots of bells and witsles, but the Henretta just nails the autowah thing right out of the box. It has no knobs, just an on/off footswitch (I think it has like a sensitivity trimpot inside but I havent opened it up), but it sounds just great out of the box, perfect with both clean and dirty sounds, and it works fantastic with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar. So much fun and no tweaking. I´m using a Musicom switcher on my board and I have the Green Zapper in one of the loops and since the Green Zapper is so tiny I have it placed under my board to save some real estate.

kevinhifi and realmacaroni like this.
  20. lcfparty35

lcfparty35 Member

Best pedal of 2018 is a silver J. Rockett Archer. Makes my HRD sound straight up gooder, almost always leave it on with the drive low, output and treble at about 1 o'clock.

Just bought a Supa Trem though and man it fits so well with the stuff I play. But that's 2019.