Best pedal(s) to crunch a clean tube amp ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Big0range, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Big0range

Big0range Member

To rephrase an earlier post:

I've got totally clean Pro Reverb, and want to be able to get some crunch out of it when I want. Hopefully something from SRV to Santana. I don't know if I should be considering an overdrive-type pedal such as a Klon or Maxon OD-820, or a distortion-type like the Box of Rock, Landgriff OD, Timmy, etc...

ANY insight would be much appreciated!!

2. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Get 2 pedals, one for each of the tones you mentioned. you'll need both sooner or later anyway :cool:

3. dave s

dave s Member

You'll probably need two pedals as I believe you've already figured out. Two routes, IMO:

1) RC Boost into an AC Boost. Use the AC for crunch and hit it with the RC for the over-the-top singing lead tone

2) Buy something like a Crunch Box for the higher gain stuff (not NuMetal gain territory, though) and a Tim or Timmy to overdrive the amp.

Lastly, you don't have to drop 600-700 on two pedals like a Klon and Box of Rock! Start buying a couple of the lower dollar pedals from the Emporium here at TGP.

dave

4. erksin

erksin Member

I use a Timmy for that purpose - perfect pedal for it IMO - sounds just like your amp, cranked up...

5. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I have a modded Pro-reverb (silverface modded to black face...mmmmm, tasty) which I LOVE. In particular they're an absolute treat with good pedals.
    My findings are for a crunch SRV type thing the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is very hard to beat, and for the heavier stuff an ETERNITY or KARKRASH..even heavier..are wonderfull sounding stompers. Fact is everybody is different but I would certainly recomend trying these out as a pont of reference.
    I concur with the above posts, 2 pedals is the way to go.

6. Don L

Don L Member

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Here are the pedals I've got my eye on:

BYOC Screamer ($75) or any Tube Screamer variant. I really like the mid boost and compression it adds. Usually set to lower gain and higher volume. I would use it for a boost or SRV type sounds. For mine, I'll put in two SPDT switches; one for LED clipping (LDO) and one to flatten the mids if I want to use it as a cleaner boost.

MI Audio Crunch Box ($110) for that Marshall crunch to distortion sound. Does the mid-gain stuff really well. Pretty cheap too.

MI Audio Tube Zone ($180) for even heavier Mesa style distortion. Can do Marshall stuff too from what I understand. Still pretty reasonable cash-wise.

You can get all three for under $400 new.

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

for crunch only you would be damn hard pressed to find better than the TIM / timmy, OCD, Menatone: Red Snapper, Blue Collar, Fishfactory just for CAPTAIN CRUNCH STUFF
    other softer options:
    BJF HB (soft tweed overdrive-crunch), RC boost ( soft overdrive) and of course the Stage Hog, to do anything, but pricy.

9. vinceman

vinceman Member

I recently tried some pedals to get overdrives with my '65 Bandmaster Head.

I had great results with the MI Blues pro : kinda 808-mid boost type of OD, but still useable with a clean amp (i dont like TS alone ). It work really well when stacked with other OD too.

One of the best results I had was a Boss BD2 with the H2O mod (monte allums) : a really transparent OD which can be used as well as a clean boost and as a OD with more gain than a TS.

By the way, IMO the H2O mod is a really good upgrade for the BD2, but you can still get a good idea of the result with a stock BD2 : the modded sound will be better, but it will not be a different world (I have both modded and stock and I have been able to compare).
    I think the BD2 is more single coils friendly by the way. With a strat, it does the SRV thing really well.

For more gain, the tube zone is really amazing. It feels kinda strange to get a pure rectifier-type of sound with a clean fender head trough this one !!!! And it works !!!
    But the most amazing, is that it works with pretty much all kinds of gain level you want : from the soft OD to the ultra Hi-gain, the tube zone does it great. It's even possible to nail the OCD tones with this one....

10. Ascension

Ascension Member

I agree I just did the second BD-2 H2O mod so I have a backup. They are not high gain buzz boxes but for sweet sustain,a good warm clean boost and a true tube type overdrive I have yet to hear better at ANY price!! Watch the superbright LED that comes with the kit it's blinding. I left it off on the second mod and just kept the stocker. You can not see the knob position with the LED on it is so bright. The Monte Allums T-Von Rectifier + mod for the DS-1 is also NICE and with the DS-1's going for $29.95 at GC and the kit at $21 it is a great DIRT CHEAP distortion!!

11. Big0range

Big0range Member

Good suggestions, thanks for the input. I see a cycle of buying and selling in my future....

12. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

+1 on the Fulldrive II

It's sounds great with a Pro Reverb or a Super Reverb etc.

Honestly, all the pedals mentioned sound great. Some You'll like better than others. A few others I'll suggest are the MJM Blues Devil, the Barber Direct Drive, Fulltone OCD and for big gnarly crunch, the Radial Tonebone Classic.

Another one is the General Guitar Gadgets Overdrive -- basically a hotrodded Tube Screamer -- it sells for $120.

13. Big0range

Big0range Member

Say, what about the Fender Blender? bluzbraker has one for sale in the emporium - HC reviews are positive.

14. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I'm sure it's a great pedal, but based on your stated requirements I seriously doubt it's what you're looking for because it's a fuzz. http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/fender.html

15. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Tonebone Classic works for me.

16. empty71

empty71 Member

My vote's for the Skreddy Top Fuel into the Skreddy Screw Driver. This combo yields light Blues crunch to searing leads with endless sustain:AOK

17. Big0range

Big0range Member

Ah - good point. I've largely avoided fuzz boxes because I associate them with that 60s - early 70s sound, which is not what I play or particluarly want.

18. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Another option for 'power amp' type OD that rarely gets mentioned is the Aphek Peanut Butter Model T Overdrive or Sunday Driver.

[​IMG][​IMG]

ToneFrenzy sell 'em.

19. Grap

Grap Member

Played my Les Paul through a Pro Reverb RI at a jam a couple of monthys ago. I ran through my TS-808 RI and it sounded excellent.

Please remind me why I just decided to kick that pedal out of my rig? Oh yeah, 'cos a Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus sounds even more betterer :D

20. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member