Best pedal that YOU have built.....

lovesickmusic

In use of sound or function in a kit or parting it out....

the BYOC rat is one that I keep around....

you?

lwatford

Silver Supporting Member
I've built lots, but my current Favs are Aion pedals, Mad Bean Sunking, and MusicPCBs tremolo.

BrandonAy

I like the BYOC Shredder. I just got a new enclosure, some knobs, and a couple components from Mammoth Electronics. Gonna try a mod I've heard great things about, then rehouse it in a fresh translucent red box. Gonna be cool.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
BYOC Mouse is the only one I have built from start to finish. I have a BYOC Tonebender that I am modifying, though. External bias knob, re-seating the transistors and painting the enclosure.

I freaking LOVE BYOC pedals!

kiki_90291

The two that seem to keep returning to my board are a Tonebender MkII and a Madbean Kingslayer. The Tonebender would be permanent, but it's too noisey on a power supply and I hate changing batteries. Got a Lunar Module on the way that I'm hoping will replace it for good. The Kingslayer (Klon variant) just seems to have the perfect eq for my rig - I actually like it quite a bit for heavy distortion (contrary to conventional wisdom on Klons) but it also does the edge of breakup thing really well.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Transformer-style Octavia driven by a modified Fuzz Face clone circuit.

I also built a LPB1 clone and Big Muff Pi clone but all suffer from choosing dodgy DPDT switches (real Carling switches are pricey)

phazersonstun

I wish I had time to build more as it's been a while.
The BYOC Shredder is my fav. I had a Marshall Shredmaster for a long time & that box was so damn good. Picking the Shredder was a no brainer.

I'll be making at least one more of those to have around.

jdel77

In terms of kits, the BYOC Flanger just flays the competition. It's Flan-tastic.
In terms of my own noodling around, I breadboarded a MK1 Tonebender from a Gary Hurst schematic that just destroyed. It was so good I was plugging my breadboard directly into the amp for a couple months. Crazy seeing all these wires and components sitting on the top of the head stark naked.

I eventually had to use components for other builds, old Mustard caps and carbon comps and oddball parts. And then I got a Skreddy LM Deluxe which satisfied my Fuzz jones.

I built one up from the same schematic and it just sounded yuk. Maybe I just had correct magic combination of parts and transistor gains. It was crazy good. I know the MK1 is notoriously finicky. I should do another one.

Wag

I've only built three so far. One was Gus Smally's NPN Boost v2. It's a great clean boost and I don't foresee it ever getting mothballed....but...

I gotta say my best one of the three is this Aqua Puss clone. It is a nice analog delay and I was real happy with the end result!

rocknow

BSIAB and Dr.Boogey, the two is really nice sounding pedal and very versatile. My Boogey using gaussmarkov schema and slightly tweaked on tone control. I've build Diefet also but it's sounding too tight for my music now, but it's nice too.

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
Brown Sound in a Box
My absolute go to dirt box
And I have a milk crate full of pedals

guitarguy987

So far I've only build 2, BYOC Yellow OD and the OD2. I also have 2 Aion boards sitting in a box, the Refractor (Klone) and Helios (RAT clone) that I just need to sit down and order the components.

Played the OD2 for the first time in a band situation yesterday, sounded amazing!

I like the Yellow OD as well, but I want to change a few of the components because I find the low end lacking.

DC Music

Oh man, I've built a few. Staying on my board are BSIAB, a GGG Tubescreamer clone, and a GGG Ram's Head Muff. All incredible. The best would be difficult to choose. The BSIAB if it's measured by how often I use it. The Muff by pure classic recognizability. The Tubescreamer for raw mojo.

Not staying on my board: my own Rat clone, BYOC compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoei

I´ve only built one, but I´m quite happy with it. BYOC E.S.V Fuzz, the silicon one. Was a fun learning experience, and when you actually can use it as well, it´s really worth it.

Made a video of it:

Mufftastic

I've posted this on TGP before, but here is perhaps my hardest build. A big muff (full circuit) in a Hammond 1590A enclosure:

It was a tight squeeze but I like perfboard because I can get creative with the layout. It sounds amazing.

I've also built a Tremulus Lune tremolo, two other muffs, a few overdrives that quickly left the board and got scavenged for parts (it turns out I only like muffs), a few boosts, etc. I build my own amps, too, but building pedals is way cheaper, and the payoff is much quicker.