best pedal to achieve amp style spring reverb, not outboard reverb tank?

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all, there are a lot of great threads on getting that tank outboard reverb sound, with lots of drip, but what about us guys who just like the reverb from a good old fender combo or head? I like that slightly darker fuller reverb rather than the sharper cutting outboard tank style. Wondering what the best pedal for this would be? I've tried the supernatural and hardwire, they were close but wondering what else is out there?
thanks,
Kurt

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
Strymon Blue Sky was the most convincing amp-like spring reverb I've owned. It's tune-able so you can get the lower voiced effect you're looking for. Haven't played a Big Sky but I'm sure it can do the same plus some.

Gracehoper

I've tried quite a few reverb pedals and have been hunting for the perfect spring pedal for a while. The Wampler Faux Spring is the closest I've gotten.

Andrew.

Silver Supporting Member
Catalinbread Topanga is my favorite Spring Reverb in a Pedal.

EDIT: I guess that would be more of an outboard type - NVM

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys, was thinking of the subdecay, and wampler, anyone compared those two units? The boing seemed a bit high end artifacty to me from the demos but maybe that's just how they set it in the demos.
Kurt

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
Subdecay Super Spring Theory. Love that I can set the decay or 'length of the springs'. I like a short spring sound. The Room setting is nice too.

jAcKoFsPeEd

Keeley Hooke Spring reverb with tone and spring length controls along with the standard mix and depth.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys, was thinking of the subdecay, and wampler, anyone compared those two units? The boing seemed a bit high end artifacty to me from the demos but maybe that's just how they set it in the demos.
Kurt
The Boing is barely noticeable until about halfway up, and shortly after that it introduces a weird chorusy modulation. I couldn't bond with it, and judging by my experiences with DR's I've played, I'm not convinced it's an accurate representation. I like the spring mode of my Flint, but I'm sure some of the other suggestions here do a better job at recreating a true amp spring sound...

Tele81

I've had the supernatural, MXR, boss rv6, Malleko. By far the best I've owned was the wampler. I moved it because it had a hint of white noise in the background. I thought I'd be able to find something as good but nothing's come close so far and I'm considering picking up another. Anyone played the mad professor spring?

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Mad Professor Silver Spring and I think it and the Wampler Faux Spring pedal sound very similar. Is it also possible that the OP prefers other types of reverbs? Maybe the Neunaber Wet Reverb pedal would work for him?

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried quite a few reverb pedals and have been hunting for the perfect spring pedal for a while. The Wampler Faux Spring is the closest I've gotten.
Me too and it has a knob to change the tone, which I like. I adjust it when I switch guitars....

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Well, one problem with doing Fender combo reverb with a pedal is that the reverb happens BEFORE the preamp, whereas in a Fender it happens in the midst of the preamp. So it's going to react to volume and timbre changes a little differently. If you've got an effects loop, try one of the spring reverbs emulators in there...

Trending Topics